Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

12ft PortaBote Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: 12ft PortaBote Update Reply with quote

Razz Today was the day I got to play with my new toys for the first time. Razz

Along with a couple of almost willing but most definately pressganged friends to help, should I not be able to manage on my own. I took my new boat and engine the one and a bit hour trip to Langorse Lake near Brecon. Suprisingly, I had managed to do the jigsaw puzzle involved in getting everything except the roof-racked hull inside the car, including my two passengers. Shock
Honest - proof later in photo form. Laughing

On arrival at the lake and having paid the required fee's, I was gratefull to see just a light 6" wave on the water. Having read the "distructions" for boat assembly and running in the 3.5 HP Tohatsu outboard just last evening and hoping I could remember everything in the correct order, I set to work.

Boat unstrapped and lifted down from the roof rack, opened using the provided magic stick, seats, transom and wheels fitted. Engine afixed, with spare fuel, oars and my piking tackle chucked aboard took me less than half an hour, - on my own. Shock No help required. Cool Not bad at all when going very carefully as it was my first attempt.
Everything double checked, theres lives at stake here. Wink Laughing
Susan insisted on doing the naming ceremony - "I name this ship Predator, may god bless etc, etc." Wheeled to the water and given a gentle launch, we all climbed aboard, the engine fired second pull and off into the main bowl of the lake.

Sue and Micheal put on a brave face

at the other end of Predator. I thank them both for that. Wink As I was limited to trolling speed, due to the need to run in the engine, it seemed sensible to sling out an intermediate with a flashy silver tinsel fly on the end - just in case. Wink Laughing
As it happened - this one was hungry enough to oblige me with a take. Very Happy Very Happy

Named, launched and christened all in one day. Cool Very Happy Can't be bad. Cool Laughing

Toddled gently around, with no more offers for a couple of hours, when the rain started. Rolling Eyes
Easy decision to go back to the launch ramp to stay dry.
Single handed recovery was a piece of cake as I'd left the wheeled "dolly" attached. Embarassed The first and only mistake of the day

Beached. In the background you can see the hire boats at Langorse - Not the best I've ever been out in. Wink

Tackling down

Only the hull to go

Ready for home. All in about 20 mins as I had that jigsaw puzzle pretty well sussed, second time around. Wink

Extremely happy with the performance of both boat and engine - especially as we were hit by the bow-wave from an inconsiderate skier towwing power boat who roared past us several times.
Needn't have worried - Predator just "flexed" over the wave, remaining very stable. Now that was different to a rigid. Laughing
And yes, I know we should have had life jackets on Embarassed But at Langorse they are not, as far as I know, provided. One between three didn't seem a workable idea.

Am I glad I spent the money on my new toys ? ........ You bettcha. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing

Tony. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Predator. Cool Razz
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome Tony! Hope there are many more pike that come from it Wink

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one tony, looks like fun to me and well done for geting a pike on your first outing in it! hope its the first of many adventure in it Laughing
thewidowsson
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lakefisher, glad you are happy with bote, just a wee note, there should be a small cover which you fix on to the prow of the bote, did you not receive one with it. ? if not contact compay for one.
billy.
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Billy.

I did indeed get the bow cap, but as its only intended to keep water out, I'm going to make myself a solid one which will incorporate an anchor pulley and tie off cleat. Possibly a lifting handle too. Similar to the one's shown here

http://donsplace.smugmug.com/gallery/462281_J3Ebk

and here

http://www.cwbr22088.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Porta-Bote/ part 4.Modifications

As your friend has one - you might like to point him towards these sites as they contain many great idea's for making an excellent boat even better. Wink

As you will realise - I did a lot of research before I purchased mine. Wink

Cheers .... Tony
thewidowsson
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tony, thanks for info, i will pass it on, the solid bow cap fairly sets it off. we also had a launching ceremony, a wee dram of malt for the boat, and a large dram for us, his bote is named " charlie girl " after his dog.!!!!!!!
billy. Surprised
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done tony.what a great christening Smile .have fun mate.hope to join you aboard soon Wink .cheers.steve Smile
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly, Wink for Billy,

Photographed here is my first "in the rough" attempt at the solid bow plate I mentioned earlier in this post. Anchor pulley and cleat/lifting handle fitted. Two eye bolts to give somewhere to attach one end of a paradrouge. Cool The two pieces under the eye bolts swivel (arrows) to either clamp or release the bow plate.

Now I have ample excuse for extensive field testing Wink If it works without problems I'll give it some varnish and protection.

If not - its back to the drawing board. Wink Laughing Laughing

Tony Wink

Last edited by lakefisher on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice modification Tony. Next one should be rod holders for trolling Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
thewidowsson
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tony, bow plate looks really smart, especially when it can be released quite simply, we had to keep pulling the bote clear of the water each time, this means it can be tied safely to the bank or jetty.
will pass it on to b.l.
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest Modifications. Wink

Coming along nicely.

Screw in style rod holders for trolling and back drifting are currently being thought about. Wink
Anyone got a 3/8" B.S.F. tapping drill and tap I could borrow. Very Happy

Usefull stuff, that floatation foam, gives me somewhere to dry my flies. Very Happy

Before putting them away.

Tony Very Happy
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done tony.boat looks great with all the add ons aswell.tight lines matey Wink .cheers.steve Smile
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be ready to sail to America soon Smile

Jim G

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Fisheries Allowing Use of Own Boat Reply with quote

I also have a porta-bote (10ft) and have been very pleased with it over the past 3 years.

While I have been able to use it on holiday in Ireland and on very calm days in the sea, I am finding great difficulty in finding any trout waters in my area (Shropshire and North Wales) that will allow me to use it. As I have now retired, I need to reduce the cost of my fishing trips and being able to use my own boat would be a considerable saving.

Can any one help?

Jim G
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: