Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Sparkler

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying Forum -> Step By Step Fly Tying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Sparkler Reply with quote

The Sparkler has always been a bogey fly for me despite giving it a fair chance but for others seems to a real killer especially towards the end of the season when the fry are around in numbers. Here I have tied a very basic version in keeping with comp rules (so no artificial weighting, tied on a hook no more than 5/8Th's of an Inch long and the dressing itself no more than 15/16Th's of an inch long). Unfortunately given my lack of success with sparklers I have no idea whether this particular variant will work or not, but in theory I can't see any reason why it wouldn't. The basic tying method can be used to tie all sorts of sparklers so this step by step may not be totally useless if it shows how to do this Confused

The Dressing:
Hook: Kamasan B175 size 10
Thread: Fl. Orange UTC
Tail: Silver, UV and Pearl Barr Brothers Flash
Body: Silver micro fritz
Wing: Silver, UV and Pearl Barr Brothers Flash

Tying Instructions:
1. Catch in the thread make a few touching turns down the hook shank then leave the bobbin to hang.

2. Separate (but at this point don't cut) a small bunch of the tinsel from the main hank 20 strands is ample, lay them along the top of the hook shank so that their ends lie over the bend by approximately a tails length plus a bit (will trim later). Bind the bunch to the hook shank tightly with several turns of thread, at this point the length of the tail can be adjusted by pulling the tinsel through the thread wraps in either direction as necessary (still a little more than a tails length) once you have the tail length about right make several more tight wraps of thread:

3. Once you are certain that the tinsel can't come away from the hook if you tugged it snip off the excess tinsel at the eye of the hook, don't leave the small separated bunch mix back with the rest of the hank, you will need it again for the wing of the fly:

4. Hold the tinsel at a slight angle to the hook shank (but in line with it) and whip down to the bend of the hook in touching turns, as was done when forming the thread under body in the blob , Catswhisker and Shipmans buzzer again aim to keep the bunched up tinsel lying on top of the hook shank:

5. Having reached the bend of the hook now tie in the body material (remember to strip the fibers away from the core first) whip over the end of the core in touching turns whilst traveling back to the hook eye:

6.Wind the micro fritz along the hook shank in touching turns, stopping back from the eye a little to allow room for the wing and head of the fly, secure the tinsel with several tight turns of thread then trim out the excess:

It may help to stroke back the fritz fibers after each turn as was done when winding the fritz to make the blob

6.Take the bunch of tinsel you separated for the tail in step 2. then cut of a section double the length of your intended wing plus a bit to hold onto whilst trimming later on, bind this TIGHTLY to the hook shank halfway along its length:

7. Fold over the section of fibers extending over the hook eye back to meet the other section and whilst holding it there whip over the tinsel to hold it back:

This is one of just a few patterns where I would sacrifice a small neat head in favour of a super tough fly that won't fall apart after one fish has got hold of it, so don't worry if it doesn't look neat, the fish certainly won't care

8. Make some extra turns of thread to make the head as neat as possible, add a few half hitches or a whip finish then trim out the thread.

9. Grip both the tail and the wing and the same time and pull taught, then take a sharp scissors and make one clean cut to trim the tinsel to the desired length:

10. Add some head cement and you're done:

Now go out and blank while using it, like I do Laughing

Paul

Last edited by Paul on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Andrew Moray
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paul,

As usual, excellent detail, thank you.
I particularly like the links to the individual techniques - VERY helpful indeed.

Please don't stop the "running commentaries", as the wee titbits the experienced tiers take for granted is considered black magic to us novices Wink

Anyway, Still Game starts in 15 mins, so I'll have a practise later Wink

Anthony
Charlie
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I agree - I generally catch f all on a sparkler. Had a couple on the booby version but nothing like their rep.

Charlie
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate claims to catch a lot on a Sparkler but I've never caught on one.

Just like CDC flies which I never catch on.

CDC Sparkler anyone?

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparkler boobies were absolute mustard for me at Bewl yesterday. 5/7 fish, and the other two would probably have taken it if I'd left it on the cast!

Nice one Paul, thank you.
rad
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking fly. I used to call them abortions because no matter how damaged the fly gets the fish still love them. Im still using one that i tied a couple of years back it looks a right mess.
Also good in Green, orange and black,

rad
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying Forum -> Step By Step Fly Tying All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: