The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Hackle and Dubbing

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan B
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Hackle and Dubbing Reply with quote

Hackle and Dubbing - by Alan Bithell

Tie the hackle back from the eye then put a spot of dubbing in front of it.

• Start the thread about one eye width back from the eye. Run down the hook shank and tie in the tail.as you are working back toward the bend.

• Start the dubbed body at the furthest point your thread goes toward the bend. (The body should not go round the bend. normally)
  • Take the dubbing forward 2/3 s of the way TO THE POINT YOU STARTED THE THREAD. Not to the eye.

• Prepare a hackle by trimming like this.

The way to make the cuts is, hold the good side of the feather toward you and the point to your left. Cut away the fibers along the bottom the same length as the exposed thread on the hook shank. Cut up the top twice as far as the bottom.

• Lash the hackle in place with touching turns of thread along the length of the exposed thread. The feather should be tied in in the same attitude as you trimmed it a moment ago.If you can manage to get it just below the hook shank then all the better.

• Your thread is now hanging from the point where you started it right back at the beginning. Wind the hackle to this point in touching turns.

• Tie off the hackle with two or three wraps of thread.

• Lick your index finger and rub it against your thumb. You will feel it soon goes sticky. Get ready to form a whip finish. Draw your finger and thumb back over the eye of the hook until you can see the clear section of hook shank behind the eye. You will have pulled the hackle back out of the way.
  • Drop your whip finish on the exposed hook shank. Put a drop of head cement on the whip finish.

• Now if you really want to be flash take a tiny pinch of the body dubbing. No less, Less. Less. LESS! and dub onto the thread.
  • Form a second whip finish using the dubbed length of thread.

This is not the only way to do it but it works for me. It is worth a try.
In the photos I have used Fl. Fire Orange thread to help you see what is happening. If I have done it right you will not be able to see the thread at all.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing just had a go at your tip thanks alot i made a really smart job of the fly i was tying

cheers cookie
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: