Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Kinky Muddler (Salt Water)

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying Forum -> Step By Step Fly Tying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Kinky Muddler (Salt Water) Reply with quote

Firstly, this fly is not my invention, rather I spotted the pattern on an American forum some time ago, tied by "Jonny" a real master of the art of fly tying. He called it the Kinky Muddler, and when I first saw it, along with a lot of others on that forum, I absolutely "Drooled" over the pattern. It is a mix of SF blend and rabbit Zonker, and can also be tied entirely of SF blend if you wish, and in an unlimited combination of colours.

Unfortunately, despite a lot of requests from other forum users to do so, Jonny didn't put up an SBS , and whilst I have no intentions of doing so on that particular forum, as my creations do not come near to matching the tying prowess of the originators, nevertheless, as the pattern looks to have real potential, I thought, I would sneak in an SBS over on this side of the pond, for anyone who like myself, feels the fly might be a useful addition to their armoury.

As I said, it can be tied in a multitude of colour combinations, and entirely of SF blend, (or similar) or with a Zonker tail, and for the purposes of this SBS, I have chosen to show a Zonker tailed version, with an Olive bias as far as colouration goes.

Materials

Hook: Any Size Hook, with a shortish shank....I have used a 1/0 Varivas 2600 STV

Tying Thread: White 8/0

Tail: Olive Zonker Strip

Body: Olive, Pink & White SF Blend (Skoks Mushy Blend is a good alternative)

Eyes: Flat Stick on or EP Eyes

1. Place the hook in the vice, and offer up a strip of rabbit Zonker, cutting it to a length a little longer than you will need for the finished fly.

2. Before you begin the tying process proper, you will need an anti foul addition, and if you wish, this can be formed with a length of stiff mono tied in at the rear of the hook, by binding down the mono on one side of the shank, bringing the other end around the back of the hook, so as it forms a loop, and binding it down on the opposite side of the hook shank. This is a quick and easy method, and works reasonably well, but certainly does not make the fly 100% foul proof.

I prefer the alternative of affixing a mono link through the Zonker strip, and attaching the loose end of the mono to the back of the hook, immediately underneath the section of the Zonker strip which you are attaching. There are plenty of illustrations going around showing this procedure, and normally it is suggested that one hole pierced through the Zonker strip will suffice. However, I find this rather tends to lump up the strip somewhat, and whilst more efficient than the loop method, I go a stage further and make four holes in the zonker strip, which tends to avoid any lumping up of the zonker strip, and makes the fly almost totally foul proof.

Make four holes, about an inch or so back from the end of the Zonker strip that you will eventually tie on to the hook. Take a length of stiff mono of about 25/30lb b.s. and burn and melt one end under a flame to create a blob of mono big enough to prevent the whole length slipping back through the holes. Now threadle the other end of the mono through the furthest hole from the front end of the Zonker strip, then back in and out of the other three holes, as per the photo.

3. Keeping the mono blob well away from a position where it butts up to the hole, offer up the tip of the Zonker strip, with the butt of the mono immediately underneath it, and lash both to the back end of the hook. When you have finished the underside should be as shown in the second of the photos below.

Having completed the rear of the fly, the rest of the body is made up of a series of hi-ties, low-ties, and for want of a better description, mid hi-ties, with the overall objective of trying to create a sort of spun deer hair application, only with SF blend.

4, Starting at the rear of the hook, take a length of SF blend from the hank, about the half the thickness of a pencil (Never try and displace anything but a full length from the main hank) and cut this length in half. Now offer up one of the half lengths to the hook, tying it down as shown on top of the shank, at exactly the same point where you tied down the zonker strip. i.e. On top of your original tying

5. Now fold back the forward facing length of SF blend as shown, and secure this hi-tie style with firstly a few wraps of the tying thread immediately in front of the materials, and then with one or two turns over the SF blend to secure. Be careful here, for you don't want to tie back too far over the SF blend, as this will tend to flatten down the now rear facing clump of SF, which defeats the object of the hi-tie style. If you feel the need, having completed these wraps, you can add a drop of super glue for security, but I don't find this necessary.

6. Take the remaining half of the hank of Olive SF blend, and repeat the above tying sequence exactly, at a point immediately in front of the preceding hi-tie, but cut a little off of the hank first to ensure that when the hi tie is completed, the length of SF blend is a little shorter than your original tie. When you have completed this second hi-tie, add a drop of S/Glue if you wish, and at the same stage on the remainder of the tyings.

7. Reverse the hook in the vice, and take a clump of white SF blend from the main hank. Cut this length in half, and offer up one half on the underside of the hook, so as the length of white SB blend will match in length, your original Olive hi tie. Secure in exactly the same manner as the previous two hi-ties. This is the first of the sequence of lo-ties.

8. Turn the hook the right way up again, and this time take a length of pink SF blend about half the thickness of the previous Olive and White lengths. Repeat the hi-tie lo-tie sequences, but this time you will need to make two seperate tyings along each side of the hook. These are mid-ties, and for this mid-tie only, the length sould be equal or just a little shorter than your original Olive hi-tie.

9. Continue the tying sequences as above on a ratio of about two hi-ties to one lo-tie and one mid tie, packing as many tyings on to the hook, (as you are aiming to achieve density) as you can, until you reach the hook eye.

Whilst you will be trimming the fly once complete, each hi-tie and low tie should be slightly shorter than the previous one in order to achieve some sort of natural profile, and after the initial mid tie, all other mid ties, (one of which shoud be pink, and any remaining mid ties, olive) should be cut very short, before tying in, so as they tend to stick out from the side of the fly at almost tight angles.

10. Having filled the hook length with the SF blend, form a small neat head with the tying thread, and secure by way of a whip finish.

Now take an Olive non waterproof marker pen, dab a few strokes on top of the finished head, and with wetted fingers, smear and blend this on top and slightly around the finished head, so you finish up with the head of the fly blended in a similar manner to the body of the fly. Give it a coat or two of head cement, allow to dry, and you are then ready for the trimming stage in order to finish off.

11. Remember at the beginning of this sequence I said that the aim of constructing the body with a series of hi, lo, and mid-ties, was to create a kind of a spun deer hair effect, so whilst your creation at this time will look a bit of a mess, looking head on, it should also have a rounded profile, and can now be trimmed to shape in the same way, and hopefully with a similar result, as you would achieve trimming a deer hair head or body.

A word of warning here, as I know many folk like to trim deer hair with a razor blade, please don't try the same technique when attempting to trim the SF blend, it is very tough and nowhere near as stiff as deer hair. You will need a pair of sharp long bladed scissors to achieve the best results.

12. Just trim to shape with the scissors in the same way as you would a spun deer hair muddler head, add a pair of flat stick on eyes or EP eyes, cut the Zonker strip to the size you require, and you are finished.

Flat eyes will either need gluing of tufflyeing but you will not be able to cover anything but just the eye area with epoxy for strength, as this will tend to flatten the body materials somewhat. EP eyes attached in the manner described in my SBS on the EP Peanut Butter, is the more secure option, but again this will tend to flatten the body somewhat, which you should try to avoid, as the body shape should finish up looking like that as pictured below, from the front.

Brian G
Alun
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Brian! I think Jonny also tyes this with "tented" rear saddle hackles, not to sure what that means, three saddles tied in a triangle? The purpose of the head is to make the tail undulate and I am sure it does. I have found when using Slinky, which is what SF blend is made of, that if you carefully create a puddle of Superglue gel in the required location and drop the 3D eyes in to place then no compression occurs.
I hate you Genty! Now I have to tye a batch of these for CC next month Twisted Evil Hmmm I recognise that carefully blended non-SF blend Wink Anything the Yanks can tye, we can tye better Laughing or at least different.

Alan
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, thanks for that, but you know, and I know that this fly aint up to "Jonny" standards, but tyings will improve, as this was only my third attempt. Tail certainly undulates in a bath test, and actually the eyes on this example were attached by way of a blob of S/Glue gel dobbed onto the fibres, with the eye just dropped onto the blob. To gain a more secure adhesion, I then carefully worked a small sliver of a lolly stick through that part of the dressing immediatly behind the eye, and compressed the eye against the lolly stick, whilst sort of holding it out and away from the main body of the SF construction Question Question Question

I just read that again, and it kind of doesn't make real sense, only hope you can get what I mean, as it worked a treat. Eyes really stuck well, and no compression of the SF.

Yes I should think you did recognise the material, after all you sent it to me under the guise of being SF blend....Now I know you are a shister, charged me a fortune for it, and blended it yerself Rolling Eyes You Cad Wink Wink

Brian G
Alun
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just your adaption of Jonny's fly Brian, seems heavier dressed in the body to me. As for the SF/Alan blend some of the stuff I sent you, completely FOC, was sealed packets of SF blend and the other was blends I had done myself. If you don't like it, send it back and kindly refund my postage. Some of us have to pay for this stuff and not rely on a charitable institution based in Bedford Wink
Now I will have to spend even more money in Bearsden to stock up.
Now don't forget to tye me up half a dozen of each as agreed. Laughing

Alan
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fly Genty, I'm sure the originator would be proud! I'll have to dig some Zonker strips out and get in a mess with more EP fibres Laughing

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris....Well thank you kind sir, but can I just point out that the fly is supposed to be tied with SF Blend and not EP Fibres.

Now learn that the one illustrated was actually tied with counterfeit stuff, sent to me by the Essex exile.....Wondered why he was so quick to offer me some of his so called SF blend. Even sent some in genuine, but used SF bags, which he is now trying to make out was in fact the real McCoy, and has the audacity to want paying for the stuff in flies Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Be careful if he ever offers you a Rolex on the cheap Laughing

Brian G
Alun
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now now Genty you are telling porkies Shock What is the difference between blending Angel Hair and Slinky yourself or buying SF blend where it has been done for you? Or in your case getting a nice shipment sent up without it being asked for. Yeah I will do that again Wink As for the packets used, I have no idea what packets I stuffed the blend in, bad enough wrestling that stuff back in it's packet anyway Laughing

Anybody want a cheap Rolex? Only 40 sovs cheap as chips! Guaranteed genuine. Laughing

Alan
daijones
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, very nice lure, would be very happy using that on my local pike lake. just looked at the time 1.33 in the morning just come off the river cant sleep had two cups of coffee. this fishing has a lot to answer for Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dai
Dougie
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superbly tied fly again Brian. Just seeing this as a link from the 'fly database'.

I know it's a Salty pattern but like Dai, this just screams PIKE to me (as do lots of other Salty patterns).

I'm gonna need more fly wallets......
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it Dougie. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I have six finsport wallets and copious numbers of sleeves for them, two other massive soft boxes, a Cliffs Bugger Barn (Extra Large Size) plus 3 big CF boxes, and a couple of other non descript fly "Containers".

Take them all over to Montauk with me every year, and can't get them in a 35 litre back pack.....When I come home have to empty all the flies out, then fill them up with all my warm water flies for trips to the Florida Keys etc.,.....It's a nightmare Laughing Laughing Laughing

How many different patterns did I need in Montauk to catch at least a couple of hundred fish this year (Stripers and Albies)???.....Just 4!!! and then I only used 3 of them, because I was fed up with catching on just one pattern Wink
Dougie
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a go Brian using bucktail and H2o 'Deadly Dazzle' but I don't think I've quite got the profile right yet....

Dougie
GentyTheShrimper
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that fly Dougie, the original illustrations I saw were tied up with all different profiles, and differing densities of the muddler type heads.

You have got the concept spot on, just that the head is slightly less dense than the ones I have actually photographed, but I have actually tied some with very similar profiles to your one.

Terrific tying Laughing Laughing

Sorry, I didn't mention the mess it makes when you trim the stuff, but I guess you have now learned that yourself....I am still finding tiny bits of the flash material in every corner of the house Wink Wink
daijones
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougie, nice tie, do like it, you and Brian, do have a very good way with these type of patterns Smile Smile

Dai..
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying Forum -> Step By Step Fly Tying All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: