The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Small Heads on Lures

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Small Heads on Lures Reply with quote

Small Heads on Lures - by Alan Bithell

A lot of this is down to thread control.

Presuming you are right handed every turn of thread around the hook shank puts a half turn into the thread. It your thread is wound up tight when you reach the head you will need to let the twist out of it. If you watch me tie you will notice I am always spinning the bobbin.

If you are tying a marabou wing you are probably tying a chenille body. If you mark the front end of the chenille where you are going to tie it in you can strip the core of all its fluff from the tie in point that will reduce the bulk.

Large heads are often a fault caused by running out of space as you work toward the eye. The trick of starting the thread well back gives you a finish point for all materials.

I'll tie up a lure and do a set of photos. I hope it will communicate how I avoid over large heads.

(Heads on lures will always be a little on the large side compared to say wet flies.)

You wouldn't believe the trouble I have had doing these photos. Thread breaking for fun I must have caught the spool on something as it was fraying every turn. Then every interruption you could think of. Anyway here we go.

Body tied in then the hackle. Note that the hackle is tied in using level turns of thread advancing toward the head.

Tie in the wing with just two or three turns of thread. Enough to hold it.

The wing is trimmed resting one of the blades on the eye of the hook. If you use sharp scissors you can make a much neater job than I have here.

Build head over wing root

Hope this helps. I could get the head smaller but these are the tricks I use to do that. Notice though that I have left plenty of space between the end of the body and the eye for the wing.

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: