The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Venue Review - Wykeham Trout Lakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillW
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Venue Review - Wykeham Trout Lakes Reply with quote

Wykeham Lakes are situated between the villages of West Ayton and Wykeham near to Scarborough in North Yorkshire. Originally dug as gravel pits the complex of lakes are today used for a mixture of fishing and boating and have been stocked with fish since the early 1990’s. Two of the lakes are stocked with trout and open to flyfishers. Other lakes are maintained for coarse fishing, carp fishing and pike, an enquiry as to whether or not a fly could be used on these would be worthwhile!

The lakes are a stunning venue with deep clear water and surrounding scenery to match. The gravel works are still operational, and cranes can be seen and machines heard from some areas, but in my opinion they are a small price to pay. The two trout lakes are known as the Trout Lake and the Causeway Lake. A variety of season and day tickets are available for both lakes.

The Trout Lake is the one most often fished by visiting anglers and is around 7.5acres in size and up to 27feet deep. Both boat and bank fishing are available with both being productive (waders are useful if planning a day on the bank). The natural insect life can be fantastic with prolific buzzer hatches and a variety of terrestrials, meaning fish respond well to imitative methods. Lures can also be very effective. The lake is stocked with high quality brown, rainbow and golden trout from around 2.5lb upwards. The lake record stands at (I think!) 18lbs or so. I have posted a couple of pictures at http://www.completefisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6834 of the Trout Lake.

The Causeway Lake is open to season ticket holders and a limited number of catch and release day tickets, this lake is bank fishing only. This lake is around 9 acres in size and up to 15ft deep. It has been described as one of the most scenic venues in the area. The fish here also respond to a wide range of methods with imitative patterns often working best.

The lakes have a small lodge with toilets, microwave and kettle and some snacks for sale. The website is http://www.wykehamlakes.co.uk/Dawnay/Fishing/LakesWykeham.html and the manager Mike Heelis can be contacted on 07946 534001.

I am probably a little biased as I am season ticket holder here but I think the venue is well worth a visit, the fish are top quality, the venue stunning, the regulars a good bunch and the staff helpful.

WillW
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review Will, thanks Very Happy

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: