Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Venue Review - Avington Trout fishery.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexH
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Venue Review - Avington Trout fishery. Reply with quote

Lakes: 3 plus River Itchen Carrier
Stock: Rainbows and occasional Browns/Blues
Size: 3lb 8oz to 20lb plus
Water: Gin Clear
Facilities: Excellent
Web: www.avingtontrout.co.uk

Emotive one this!

Avington is perhaps the best known name in small stillwater stalking. the lakes, and scenery are as good as you will get anywhere with clear water, luxuriant weed growth and good bankside keeping. Its held many records, and there's always the sense of history as you turn up to fish.

Lake 1 is long, thin, and fishes better at the far end from the lodge.

Lake 2 is round and the hotspots are half way up the left bank (as you approach the lake) and the far end. (ALWAYS look under the overhanging tree on the Right hand bank)

Lake 3 has a deep channel along the Right side, and a deep hole at the closest end. this is where to fish.

It's not cheap at Avington, and in my opinion, its going through a transition phase. my last few visits have seen small fish of a uniform size and little to stalk. that said, there are always a few biggies in there if you can find them.

PBs at Avington are 18lb 4 for rainbow, and 5lb for browns.
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review about a lovely place steeped in history.

You are absolutely right to write with caution because of the current owner's insistance of stocking low sized fish and still taking high entry level money.

I haven't been for eighteen months and won't be going back while the present owner is in charge.

33 doubles a year are stocked for the magazines. That is three for each month bar December when they say they have not had many anglers.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good review Alex, thanks! I've fished Avington once but didn't have any fish in the bag that would make me pay that price to fish there again.

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
AlexH
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Another good review Alex, thanks! I've fished Avington once but didn't have any fish in the bag that would make me pay that price to fish there again.

Interesting posts from you and Myangle reflecting my findings exactly. Avington is a wonderful place but the last few times ive fished it there's been one double in each lake with fairly small stockies. I hope it comes back into it's best form soon, because it's a lovely place to fish.
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt I will ever go there much as I like clear water fishing, 70.50 for four fish that are averaging 3-4lb is taking the piss.

Amazing this place is still trading on past glories and getting away with it. Just my opinion of course.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a big fish water around the home counties then I think Lechlade is your best bet. You can 'expect' the fish you get from Lechlade to be at least 7lb+ and it's not uncommon to see a bag of four fish over 10lb each. They also put up a great scrap and taste very good.

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
AlexH
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
If you want a big fish water around the home counties then I think Lechlade is your best bet. You can 'expect' the fish you get from Lechlade to be at least 7lb+ and it's not uncommon to see a bag of four fish over 10lb each. They also put up a great scrap and taste very good.

Totally agree. I was up there last weekend, and had 4 from the boat. they were 7lb 8oz, 9lb, 10lb 8oz and 11lb the 10.8 was one of the hardest fights ive had for years, on an 8 weight Bloke rod as well! it bored over and over into the depths, and just would not give up.! one of those fish i REALLY wanted to release after the fight it had given! the lllb was a blue as well, and fought almost as hard. Went with a beginner who had a fish chase his fly first cast that must have been all of 18lb. turned away at the last second when it saw the boat, but left him with a memory he'll never forget.! He also got his first double at 11lb 12oz.
Neil Maidment

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Venue Review - Avington Trout fishery. Reply with quote

This is my first post on this Forum. Hope you don't mind an update on Avington. I've fished it regularly throughout July and August 2009.

I certainly understand Avington has taken a lot of criticism over the past few years and it's past glory was severely undermined. However, in my opinion, that has now changed and very much for the good.

Facilities are excellent, staff are superb and the fish are of excellent quality and average size. The three lakes remain crystal clear and even temperature throughout (occassional algae bloom in really hot weather). The top third of the top lake is fenced off as the owner is building a residence at the top end.

Restocking is carried out every evening with fish being replaced according to that days catch returns. Average size is now approaching 6lbs+ and generally are in very good condition:

Mornings are definately "easier" with GH Damsels, flashy marabous and similar all catching. Typically by the afternoon, small nymphs and buzzers work better.

On each of my visits I have always managed to locate some big fish. The reports suggest between 10 and 25 big doubles are landed each month - I suggest there are more to be found! You may get lucky but stalking and being very selective is without doubt the best option for these big fish. A certain mindset is also required to "ignore" the 6lb+ stockies! Shock

I've had five "doubles" during July/August, topped by Rainbow 16lbs 04oz, Brown 15lbs and Blue 14lbs 08oz. I've also witnessed several more similar fish being landed during that period:

Just in case anybody wonders, I have no affiliation to Avington, just an ancient history and fond memories going back to the Sam Holland days! Very Happy
royvs
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil, welcome to the Forum.

One question...what the hell do you do with all that fish? Confused
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your update on Avington it sounds as if they may be turning themselves around at last.

Great pics.

Cool
Neil Maidment

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royvs wrote:
Neil, welcome to the Forum.

One question...what the hell do you do with all that fish? Confused

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not over keen on eating trout Smile but donate/give away most of the ones I keep (I prefer C&R where possible). However, a couple of those big ones have been cold smoked by a friend, the rainbow and brown tasted very nice indeed! Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: