Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Venue Review - Woolaston Court Trout Lakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mario
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Venue Review - Woolaston Court Trout Lakes Reply with quote

Woolaston Court is 15 minutes drive from the Severn Bridge and 3 miles from Lydney. They have 3 lakes. The smallest being a "Novice pond" with 1lb - 1lb 8oz fish. 0.75 acres (Rainbows). The Main lake is 2.5 acres with fish in from 2lb - 25lb.(Rainbows, Blues, browns, some Goldies and tigers.
The Bottom lake is 1.7 acres and is the newest lake being made 3 year back. It holds Rainbows and browns, 2lb - 20lb.

Main Lake Last October

Bottom lake Summer 2006

On to the fishing,
This is the place where I started fly fishing and still love it. You have to be in sink with the place to catch well and the fish are truly awesome! It is a friendly place, on a farm and run by the family and will always be greeted by the dogs. When you turn into the farm you think you will find a hole in the ground, but you don't. The lakes look natural and the depth changes and there is some sort of pattern to it.
Generally it fishes very well spring and winter. The main lake gets most of the wind and fishes well in lots of different place. For me it's from the second island down to the end.
The bottom lake fishes well really every where but mainly at the start of the island and right down the bottom because there is an 18 ft drop.
The flies to use are (for me) Black no-mad, cat's whisker, bloodworm, green zonker, buzzers. You can fish them with an indicator or not.
A brook runs besides the lakes and the main lake goes in the shape of the brook. You can always see wild browns and there used to be sea trout. I saw the EA doing there survey thing and just it a small piece of it there was loads of browns, eel's.

I went today, first time this year for me and caught 5 and a new PB Rainbow Trout. 9lb (Safely returned) I croped me out of it because it's a shocking pic of me!!!! (Fish looks nicer!!)

My PB!!! Caught last year. 14lb 3oz Blue trout.

Me and a 2lber last summer.

Facilities
Toilet, flies for sale, free tea and coffee, food, cold drinks, tackle, tuition and troutmasters

Season
1st March - 30th June - reopen 1st September - 10th December.

Prices
Main and Bottom Lakes.
Catch and take.
10.00 which includes your first fish.
All subsequent fish 4.75.
No limit to bag.

Catch and release.
4 hours 11.00.
All day 17.00.

Combination tickets are available on request.
For example:
1 fish + 4 hours catch and release. 14.75
2 fish + 4 hours catch and release. 19.50
(Main and bottom lakes only.)

Top (Novice) lake.
5.00 to fish and 2.75 each fish taken.
No limit to bag.
Please note that catch and release is not available on this lake

Car Parking
A large car park is available free of charge situated close to the cabin. A smaller car park situated between the top lake and the main lake is ideally suited for the less able.

www.woolastoncourt.co.uk

See you there!!!!!

Chris Fairweather
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a nice place,one to bookmark although for a weekend Cool
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review there Chris on a nice looking venue.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Chris, nice review!

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
pedro786

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all and wot a lovely website this is may i say,went to woolaston court yesterday arrived there at about 7.45am it was overcast morning with hardly any wind,after tackling up trodding down to pick my spot mr t (my bro in law) already had his spot just by the airaitor. on the main lake i could see already some bent rods with fish already landed looks promising i said to myself,i had a black fly on dont know the name(maybe black malibu/carabew) had a few casts on the corner with the bottom lake no takes,i then see mr t bent into a fish i knew wot he was using because i gave him the fly to try,so with quick change to a bloodworm i recasted few casts later fish on and wot a fight the fish put on(winter fish) safely landed about 3lb.i managed a further 2 from the corner on bloodworm.

in the meantime mr t had arrived and was fishing the bottom lake just behind and to the right of me where the water comes from the main lake into the bottom lake and he had already landed a fish and missed a few,so i thought ill change spots and just done a u turn and started fishing the bottom lake to the right of where the water comes in second cast i was into a fish this fish stayed deep and had some very good runs,i thought id got a good fish here or foul hooked him after 5 mins a got a glimpse i couldnt beleive wot i saw was a fish about 3-3.5lb only that was giving my right hand a real ache with its power(iv prevously landed a 7lb 4ozpb at this venue)it was safely landed hooked in the lip(really suprised me with the power i thought it was a much bigger fish).

it was only 9.00am i had 4 fish time for a cup of tea with my m8 stan and to change to catch and release,after about half an hour in the cabin back to the fishing i caught and released a further 7 rainbows upto 12.30pm upto 4lb all on bloodworm didnt use any other fly for the day.

me and mr t called it a day at 12.30pm total tally me 11 bows mr t 3bows

also caught on the day were a rainbow of 9lb and 7lb and quite a few above the 5lb mark
all in all a gr8 days fishing
Laughing
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good day out with Mr T! Welcome to the forum Pedro

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fishery is on my list to try before the weather warms up too much, seems like a good place.
Dusty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeh wrote:
This fishery is on my list to try before the weather warms up too much, seems like a good place.

I remember we were giving it serious consideration a while back. I think we should definately give it a go!
mgrover
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for woolaston as a great day out. Always very well stocked and even had great sport on a dry fly in the summer gone,had 2 and lost 4 and missed many takes and it was the only time ive ever caught on a dry Wink .
Graham
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you're ever planning a trip over there Vic and i'll try and join ya, never caught a trout from a stillwater Shock Laughing
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:
mikeh wrote:

I remember we were giving it serious consideration a while back. I think we should definately give it a go!

Indeed we should, sod the other one can go without him Wink Wink
AlexH
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeh wrote:
Dusty wrote:
mikeh wrote:

Only cos you're scared i'll whip out the doubles and leave you with the finless two pounders...

as usual. Wink Wink Wink
pedro786

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a beautifull place when u see it first thing in the morning,i learned my fly fishing here thanks to stan baxter who works there occasionly,i live near birmingham and have been going to this fishery for the last 2 seasons and love it,ive only once fished in another fishery and that was bushleaze,i have got a fishery right by me gaileys but never no reports or regulars on forums.
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexH wrote:
mikeh wrote:
Dusty wrote:
mikeh wrote:

Only cos you're scared i'll whip out the doubles and leave you with the finless two pounders...

as usual. Wink Wink Wink

Naah we just dont like you Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: