The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Venue Review - Carsington Water

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Venue Review - Carsington Water Reply with quote

Carsington Water, set in the edge of the Derbyshire Peak District, is a relatively large expanse of water (750 acres) and must be one of the most picturesque reservoirs to fish in the UK. The water is always crystal clear throughout the season and is host to a substantial head of trout.

Until last season Carsington was predominantly brown trout only with a scattering of rainbows introduced in the warmer summer months to spice up the resident browns who had a tendency to head for deeper water in July and August if it got too hot. The season started slowly after an initial opening in March with May and June being spectacular when large hatches of black buzzers gave surface sport to die for. July and August could be difficult but sedge hatches gave good evening rises. The trout would switch to pin fry and sticklebacks in August through to September where the fry action could be thrilling to say the least, with grown on browns proving easy to interest but difficult to tempt. Often you could see your fry pattern being followed by a submarine sized brown only for him to turn away at the last second. The best drifts would usually be close in to and along the shores, in and around the islands, in the bays and around the edges of the numerous weedbeds. If you concentrated on shallow water you were usually rewarded with excellent sport. The fish did not tend to shoal up unless you hit a pod of stockies. Top flies were for me were montana, bibio, wickhams, grouse and claret, Kate McLaren, cats whisker, Hummungus and black pennell.

Last season the stocking policy changed to predominantly rainbows and the fishing pattern changed. The season started exceptionally well with again buzzers proving very effective. The high quality of fishing carried on throughout the summer months with anglers who were prepared to fish deeper doing well over the deep water in the middle of the reservoir. Brighter flies such as Blobs started to figure in catches. The fishing was different with less browns showing up in the catches but they are still there.

Best areas are dependent upon the wind direction, traditionally I would always fish in the waves where the browns would come crashing through the waves to hit your muddler or bob fly. Last year with more rainbows the fish were more evenly spread out with the calmer water proving equally fish friendly. The same areas always hold fish. Around the islands, Fishtaoil creek, Upperfields, Shinningford Creek and Millfields.

Carsington offers boat and bank fishing but is predominantly a boat fishing venue as the areas where bank fishing is allowed are dependent upon the wind direction and is restricted by weed growth later in the season. A fleet of 18 boats are available which is not many on a water of this size. You always get the feeling that you are on a Scottish or Irish lowland loch where you very rarely see other anglers. In my opinion Carsington offers the best trout fishing in the UK without exception, reminiscent of Loch Leven in its heyday (and that is a compliment).

Catch reports are regularly posted on the website www.stwater.co.uk/carsingtonfishery

Try this water out and you won't want to try anywhere else.
Tips
One thing to watch out for is the lack of surface activity. The fish do not show themselves too often but they are near the surface you will suddenly hook one out of the blue. If you see a moving fish you will generally get an offer from him.

Keep on the move here as the fish re generally well spread out. I catch well when drifting but as soon as I drop anchor they seem to disappear from where we have been catching.
Try different depths. I always tackle up with two rods, a floater and a Di7. If you are not getting action on one change, it often works.

I don't claim to be an expert but this is my experiences of the one water I would choose to fish if I could only fish one place.

Iain

carsington water
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great review Iain, thanks.
TRUGG
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Carsington Reply with quote

Hi Iian

Spot on report and I totally agree, Carsington is so much better than lots of bigged up venues I've fished, it comes second to none although I should mention the Dixons have worked some magic at Foremark and the bank fishing is better, but the scenery leaves it just behind Carsington in my opinion. Here's a few places fished last season below, that don't compare in my opinion;

Rutland
Draycote
Eyebrook
Ravensthorpe
Blagdon
Chew
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review, thanks Iain! Smile

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: