The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

another saltiga problem ......

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alantani

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: another saltiga problem ...... Reply with quote

hoo, boy. i only have the one set of pictures for the spool issues, but i've had two guys come to me with broken spools from daiwa saltigas. you've seen this one before.

now i've come up with another issue. check this out. it's a saltiga 50.

so what happened is this. i added a small bead of grease to the screw hole. done that a thousand times with other reels. just as i gave the screw driver that last turn, i heard a "snap." i was horrified to see that the frame had cracked at the screw hole. um, $200 worth of horrified, i might add. that's the cost of a new frame. i spoke to another guy that does alot of reel work and he says he had the same thing happen, only he used corrosion x on the screw thread.

so what i think happened is this. the tolerances on the threads of the screw holes are so tight that there's no room for air, excess grease or excess oil to squeeze out when tightening down the screws. this causes a crack at this one weak spot of our $200 frame. a guy sent this reel for me to service and there's no way that it's going back broken. i just have to eat this one.

thank you for listening to this brief public service announcement. you may return to your regularly scheduled program ....

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: