The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

The Future of Fly Rods?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy Kadish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: The Future of Fly Rods? Reply with quote

Looks like Orvis came up with a real winner. But how high will the price of fly rods go?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071104/SPORTS10/711040674/1058/SPORTS01

Randy Kadish
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dread to think what the RRP will be over here in the UK.
It's difficult to justify high prices on fly rods nowadays when a lot of the mid range rods are just as good as the top end rods.

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual I expect, just replace the $ symbol with the £ symbol
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisNicholls wrote:
The usual I expect, just replace the $ symbol with the £ symbol

Yep, sounds about right. It is after all good a enough system for Sage. they wouldn't like you to think you weren't buying quality. Rolling Eyes
Steeldrifter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UHG! dont get me started on this subject Laughing

I'm no fan of Orvis myself (a company that takes other companies products, slaps an Orvis label on them and then turns around and charges 250% more just because of that)...but it really get's to me when I see Orvis (or any other rod company) charging that much for a rod and trying to dazzle the consumer with smoke & mirror advertising.

I've cast their new $750 rod and it is a "good" rod, but it's no where near worth the price they charge and the thing that kills me is they push their "advancments" as being the latest in high tech rod blank manufacturing when it honestly is not. If you've seen the ad's Orvis puts out for this rod and the Zero G's you will see them say that they are far advanced over other rod companies because they use the latest method of using graphite scrim. When in fact that's not new technology at all, companies have been useing graphite scrim for years and companies such as CTS have takin it even a step farther and have been useing graphite scrim spiraled up the blank (Hexli-core) for 10 years now. Which is a far superior scrim method than Orvis is useing. I guess if you plaster enough pictures of F-16 fighter jets, Apattche helicopters and the space shuttle on the pages of your ad's like Orvis does then you can fool alot of people into thinking the rod must be worth $800 Confused

Thier rods are "good"...but being a custom rod builder for years now and building 125+ rods for customers since I started doing it as a "job"...I will tell you I agree with what Chris said 110%. You can build or buy a rod just as good as that $800 Orvis rod yet only spend 1/3 of that price.

Can ya tell I'm a bit passionate about the subject of rods? Laughing

Steve
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hardy have gone the same way here in thje UK (I don't know how they're viewed in the US). I think there probably was a time when they were at the front of the fly rod market but they are certainly flagging behind some brands now, yet they are one of the most expensive rod manufacturers.
About 6 or 7 years ago I bought a Hardy Ultralite and paid £365. This was stolen from the garage and replaced through insurance for a Hardy Ultralite Plus which was £405. That was, and still is a lot of money. In fact using today's exchange rate it's $800.

I've since only bought rods for under £200 and they are, in my opinion, better than those Hardys.

I guess it boils down to how much you are willing to pay for a label.....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Steeldrifter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris here in the US most fly fisherman view Hardy as being the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. In other words tons of guys here view them as THE gear to have, especially the Hardy reels. I can't speak on Hardy much because the only Hardy gear i have ever seen in person was my buddys Hardy Angel reel. If I'm not mistaken I believe he paid between $800-$1000 USD for it. I looked it over and played with it for a bit and I thought it was "Okay" (sure was pretty looking) but mechanically I didnt see it as being any better than my Harris Solitude or my Ross reels. Certianlly not something I would drop $1000 on that's for sure Shock

Steve

Last edited by Steeldrifter on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going a bit off topic here but what the hell Smile

The only time I would consider paying £500/$1000 for a reel (and even then I'd rather eat chicken wire) would be for the saltwater. With the exception of salmon, there's nothing in the UK or US that you would need a reel of that price for.

And if it is for saltwater then I don't think Hardy would be my first choice, especially in that price range!

Mind you, they probably look nice Wink

mudskipper
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
I think Hardy have gone the same way here in thje UK .....

In my opinion Hardy rods are not and never have been any better than any other good maker.
In the days of built cane they brought out the one with a steel core which was an utterly ridiculous idea from every point of view - technical, economical and practical handling. Some other brands were in fact better than Hardy and it bugs me that now when a Hardy cane rod turns up on eBay it automatically starts at about £80 - even that rusty-cored monster - when better brand/models don't fetch more than £25
ffc
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all well and good but you do have to cater for the Toby's, Roy's and Brian's of the world. Very Happy I must admit to a weakness for Sage rods but I do wait for work trips to the US to do my shopping. Also companies like Scott are doing something about the $=£ rip off. (see Toby again, Cool )
royvs
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffc wrote:
This is all well and good but you do have to cater for the Toby's, Roy's and Brian's of the world.

You're damned right there Dave Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: