The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Cutting Rabbit fur strips Step by Step

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Cutting Rabbit fur strips Step by Step Reply with quote

Again not particularly useful Confused

Cutting Rabbit Zonkers

There a have been a few now who have been having trouble cutting the rabbit into passable zonkers, so I have cobbled together this step by step showing the way that I do it, I hope it may help some of you?

Anyway, don't use a scissors you will just end up with a handful of fur and a strip of bare skin Very Happy

Have the rabbit skin facing upwards on a hard surface then once you have decided on what width of zonker strip you require use a ruler and the sharpest scalpel you have, to SCORE a line on the skin (don't cut all the way through just yet) Make a few light passes as the deeper you go without actually going through the skin the better:

Having scored all the way along the length of the rabbit take away the ruler and fold the skin along the score:

Now take the scalpel and pust just the point through the skin at the crease you just made a few inches along the zonker is enough, while holding the skin taught angle the scalpel away from you (with the cutting edge facing you) push the scalpel along the crease (its acting to sparate the skin rather than to cut it, if that makes any sense?)

I find it easier to first work along the crease, moving towards you (You should find that the scalpel wants to cut along the crease, if it strays away then you probably need to make the score deeper):

Once you have completely separated the few inches of zonker closest to you,turn the scalpel around and work away from you. Again have the scalpel blade facing upwards and use only the point of the blade, slice along the score to the end of the skin, again hold the skin taught and now also the partly formed zonker taught while you slide the scapel point along the score:

That should be it, just pull the zonker through your fingers a few times to remove any loose fur and you should have something looking like:

I'm sure I've made this sound far too complicated than it actually is :-/
Paul

Last edited by Paul on Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:14 pm; edited 6 times in total
bogeyeddamsel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Great work!

Where did you get that rabbit skin?
The skin on it looks nice and thin unlike many of the other patches I have come accross, the quality look superb.

BED.
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogeyeddamsel wrote:
Paul,

Great work!

Where did you get that rabbit skin?
The skin on it looks nice and thin unlike many of the other patches I have come accross, the quality look superb.

BED.

Hi Bogeyed damsel. The skin is one I prepared myself some time ago. Its fairly straight forward to salt a skin using just cooking salt , maybe I should type some sort of how to at some point.

Paul.
bogeyeddamsel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, I though it looked a bit good Very Happy

Most of the rabbit skins I come accross in the shops have very thick, dry skin. Perhaps you should start selling yours Laughing
potbellypig256

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv'e found the fur gets cut with the skin, so changed to buying strips....lazy
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same with me Smile

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: