The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Devonshire Delights

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Sea Fishing Catch Reports - Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Devonshire Delights Reply with quote

I thought it would be rude to leave the tackle at home whilst i holiday near Ilfracombe for 2 weeks. My old man had a week earlier in the year and told me Putsborough Beach was my kind of beach. So the first mini session was to be there. He wasnt wrong a cracking looking surf beach (low water)

Armed with large Rag and sandeel one rod was cast out a good distance with sand eel the other holding rag at medium range. Little happened untill i shortened my cast to dead in the centre of the surf table for the next hour or so of the flood the rod tip banged over a few times resulting in 5 Smallish Bass

The next session was to be an early morning session haveing little time i opted for the local cove down 200 steps next to the caravan site (watermouth Napps farm) I didnt realy fancy my chances but who cares when it looked like this

Well the couple of hours i was there it was knock after knock but the first few resulted in miss bites on Rag worm. I scaled down to size 1s and a decent Corkwing was on the beach then a few small Ballan s and last cast of the Morn another Corkwing

Session 3 it was back to Putsborough high water early morning. After fishing low i noticed a lot os small depression in the sand 50 yard out from high so i headed there. First cast resulted in a good bite and a bass around the 2lb mark was landed and returned. Half an hour later same as before 2lber. A little later while taking my eye of the rods the one lifted the rest out of the sand after a short battle a Bass 4lb 8oz was on the beach (sorry folks cooks in butter with black pepper, All others returned during hols)

The last session was again Puts you couldnt drag me away from the place, On reaching the beach the surf was running really well with an onshore wind. This also bought out every holiday surfer in N Devon so i headed right towards Woolacombe to avoid the clans. A cracking sun sett after a rainy day greeted me

It wasnt long before the first bass was on again cast towards the uneven sand (rag again) excuse photo tourist photo was worse than his surfing

As darkness fell the it was reaching high water, I think the local surfer desended then and it was good to watch them riding well

All in all i had 5 bass all around the same size in the couple of hours i was there no monster but good fun

A cracking 2 weeks away with a few enjoyable mini sessions and we probably had the best sunshine this year cant be bad
westcountryboy
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking report.

Have surfed there a few times and also fished it but not wit your success.

There are some great rays there also.

There is a hot water pipe that comes out around half way down the beach that holds some great fish.

I must get down there swff soon.

WCB

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com The BEST Fly fishing tuition guiding and lessons in Devon

http://funkyflytying.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Sea Fishing Catch Reports - Members All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: