The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

anyfish anywhere match

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: anyfish anywhere match Reply with quote

After a long absence, i recently returned to an occasional foray onto the beach, starting in the winter with a plan to master the pendulum (been 20 years since i last held a beach rod-my old zziplex NG1). I read all the usual reviews, and bought a cheap fox beachcaster half price in Gerrys sale to practise with, which was fine but somewhat crude - so after much looking around i found an AFAW Match rod on ebay which i bought second hand for less than half retail.

This is a really excellent rod - slim and light in the hand, but capable of putting a lead a lot further than many will ever acheive - the tip shows bites brilliantly, and despite the casting power it really doesnt feel like a poker. Using this rod i have comfortably exceeded 200yds on grass (over 225 as a best), but the most impressive thing is how when fishing it throws baits well over 100yds with little effort without exploding them from the hooks - so far its only had to deal with numerous dogfish but i am impressed with its finesse and would recommend it without hesitation. It is definately at its best with 150 grammes but will handle more if required.
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the Diawa Amorphous Whisker Jan?

I have a pair of those that I team up with Abu Mag Elites for my beach fishing that sadly has taken a back seat in recent years.
I agree that it is the ideal rod for practical fishing purposes.
westcountryboy
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it one of the longer styles of rod Jan?

WCB

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com The BEST Fly fishing tuition guiding and lessons in Devon

http://funkyflytying.co.uk
jan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris - its not a Daiwa, its an ANYFISH ANYWHERE rod - website here http://www.anyfishanywhere.com/index.htm
top class gear (no connection).

WCB - no its just a longish pendulum rod - 13'4" plus reducer - it handles normal off the ground and full pendulum quite happily - its not one of the new style 16-18 foot super long rods.
Grommit
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the quality of the AFAW tackle , top notch stuff. Julian Shambrook (owner of AFAW) has come with a great range of gear at sensible prices.

The Rock rod is a cracking bit of kit for the heavy ground work off the NE coast and I would put up against some more expensive models anyday

His new seat box harness/carry system is also very well designed
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: