User is Offline
Joined: 09 Apr 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
|Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:09 am Post subject: Salmon Stock Restoration And Rivers TrustS
|Slaney River Trust (SRT) & Association of Rivers Trusts (ART)
On behalf of the Slaney River Trust, we are pleased to invite you to a Conference on ‚ÄėSalmon Stock Restoration and Rivers Trustsí on February 18, 19 and 20 February 2007. The Conference is being hosted by Slaney River Trust Ltd. The Conference has received financial sponsorship from the European Unionís Interreg IIIa grant programme and from ART.
The timing of the Conference is apposite because the ending of drift net fishing has ushered in a new era for salmon conservation and management. This new era will raise many new and complex issues for salmon anglers, angling clubs, fishery owners, Fishery Boards, Government Departments and the many other organizations involved in this area.
The Conference venue is the Millrace Hotel, Bunclody, Co. Wexford, a modern hotel which opened in 2004 and is a member of the Carlton Hotels Group.
The programme for the Conference is as follows:
- Sunday, 18th. February. Reception, welcome and Buffet Supper for delegates in the Millrace Hotel, commencing 7.30 pm.
- Monday 19th. February. All day Conference. Formal Dinner (with guest speakers) in the Millrace Hotel, starting with a Reception at 7pm and Dinner at 7.30 pm.
- Tuesday 20th. February. Escorted field trip to visit a fishery in the Slaney Valley and sites of Heritage and Historical interest. Departing by bus from the Millrace Hotel at 10.00 am and returning at 1.00 pm. Boots not essential but useful.
The Conference will focus on the following themes:
- what the Rivers Trust movement can offer to Irish rivers
- background on the development of the Interreg funded Celtic Rivers Trust Partnership, of which Slaney River Trust and Pembrokeshire Rivers Trust are founding partners
- important trends affecting Atlantic salmon stocks, including developments at sea, the impact of global warming and the threat of disease
- salmon conservation efforts on both sides of the Atlantic
- update on the post drift net era and the many important and complex issues arising therefrom,
- background on: the Slaney salmon stock, recent habitat works, stock restoration
- two case studies: co-operation between the Defence Forces and the Eastern Regional Fisheries Board on habitat improvement in the Glen of Imaal; revival of the Ballinderry R. in N. Ireland
- development potential for the Slaney sea trout
- where next for Slaney salmon?
- background on Slaney River Trustís fundraising activities and future funding opportunities
As space at the Conference is limited and demand for places is expected to be high, you are requested to return the Booking Form as soon as possible, with a cheque / draft for the amount payable. Due to the generosity of our sponsors, we have been able to keep the delegate rate for the Conference at a low level.
For further information, please contact Andrew Willis, Project Officer, Slaney River Trust on firstname.lastname@example.org .
Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs