The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

cdc SPINNER

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: cdc SPINNER Reply with quote

Thread: Burnt Orange - whatever colours of spinners are on your river
Hook: For smaller sizes I use B160's, larger any dry fly hook.

Body: Thread or Stripped dyed Peacock quill or dyed hackle stem
wings: CDC - I generally use 3 White with one Rusty Brom on top or 3 natural
on olive bodied spinners

Cut of 4 " of the thread you are using - keep for step 2

Step 1

Wrap on the thread to gibe a smooth body , tie in two or four microfibetts.

Step 2
Just to show a different method of splitting the tails. Take 4 " of thread and loop around bend of the hook -hold the two ends to-gether. Separate the tails and bring the thread ends up between the tails and lay on top of hook shank - make a few loose wraps of thread from the bobbin to secure the 4" thread. Pull the 4" thread to tighten it up and splay the tails.
D

Having done this bring thread backup to start of body up near the eye.

step 3: Preparing the CDC
Take the 4 CDC feathers, for each one stroke the fibres downwards to expose the tip of the feather - cut of the tip so that the top of each feather is V shaped. Place the feathers on top of each other, the rusty tan one on top and line them up so that the tips are level.

Lay the feathers on top of the shank with the tips projecting over the eye and secure with one loos wrap.

Maintain a little tension on the thread with your left hand draw the CDC back through the thread until you are within approx 1/8th " from the tip of CDC hackle stems. Secure the CDC with further wraps of thread , try and keep the thread wraps on top of each other - as u can seen from picture below I didn't do this as good as is possible - the better you do this the better the final wings will lie. Trim of waste end of CDC.

Stoke back the CDC so that you have an even amount of CDC on each side of the hook, secure in place with figure of 8 wraps.

Stoke both wings forward and cut of ends to make each wing the lame length.

Step 3:

Continue down the body and back up again with the thread to just behing the eye giving a thin slightly tapered body and whip finish. On one of the versions of this fly use a small amount of muskrat dubbing around the wings when doing the figure of 8 - the dubbing helps keeping the wings in position.

and volia the finished product.

An excellent little catcher of trout.

a good faller of spinners

Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Otter, many thanks for these Smile

Welcome to the forum.

Chris

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
otter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far from excellent, when I get time I will try do a better job on these. This was very rushed, still trying to figure out the camera & need to get a proper background.
Alan B
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the background I'v always used a sheet of blue 2mm foam I bought from HobbyCraft. It is about A3 in size. This is a little expensive at just over the pound to buy but the fact it is foam means it stands up to the bending and handling better than card.

Place your background as far away from the fly as you can. When I studdied photography we where taught that to get a good black background use black velvet at least 6 feet behind the subject. The further away from the subject your background is the "flatter" it appears on the finished photo.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Alan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
otter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: