The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.slvblank.no

Farmoor 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice todays headlines in the papers sayT.W are the worst performing water supply company..with a 57% surge in complaints.
No doubt fishing at Farmoor is very low on their agenda, but Walthamstow wet lands was a good PR campaign so fingers crossed.
P
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side the fishing seems to be improving at last. For those not on Facebook ...

Farmoor Reservoir Fishery

Afternoon all with the weather now getting cool the fish are feed well in the upper layer on dry and fry pattern
John Watson caught and release 20 + fish today on dry
C loveland had his 4 fish afternoon bag and release plenty more.

For those on facebook, scroll down on their FB page here

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted that Al - will be making a journey into Oxon very soon.😎😊
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a boat on F2 today with my old pal Pino. Water quality ok with about 6ft and a little algae on the windward shore. Message was that the fish were up and as we motored across a fairly flat lake toward the south to find some breeze we spotted a number of fish in the surface. The sun was out but we could see cloud building from the west so felt confident. A team of leggy dries was the method of choice and on the first drift had a good rise which came to nothing. Pino hooked into a fish but it came off and shortly after I had the same problem. The cloud came along with a nice breeze but the fish just disappeared - we tried straight nymphs, washing line, dries and sinkers for nowt. We moved around the lake drifting into the shore, drifting across the middle but still nothing until mid afternoon a fish fell to a hopper on the dropper. It should have made 3lb but went barely 2lb and looked like a spent kelt. Pino took a couple to dries whilst drifting along the causway and again very thin. Talk on the jetty was for a tough day with just twos and threes or blanks. The fish need to put on condition and the lake needs stocking which hopefully will be in the next week or so. Quite a few banksmen out early on but they drifted away as the day progressed so I guess they struggled.
Good to get out and get some colour in the cheeks. Will give it a rest until they stock and temps fall further.
Cheers - Doug
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug.
I am going today but after reading your report I am leaving later.
The skinny fish is no doubt due to the hot water stopping them feeding..
p
Liked by: JCP
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was caught from F1 back in 2016 shortly after it was reopened for fishing having been closed for high water temps. Somewhat malnurished but would have made 6lb plus in prime condition.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I and many others bank fished all day without even a pull Sad I wont bored you with the details.
The water temp at the edge has dropped to 18 degrees so it should improve.
P
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Peter and sorry that things didnt work out. - Notwithstanding some folk doing well last week and over the weekend the lakes NEED restocking. The "good old boys" cleaned up earlier this year when lockdown was relaxed and nobody really knows (or are not telling) the number of fatalities during the "hot water" so hopefully an injection of fish over the next 4 weeks will bring Farmoor back on song.
Stocking policy, notwithstanding water temps, would appear to be at the behest of TW accountants rather than the need of the fishery.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all of that.
Apparently when there is a fish kill all the dead fish do not rise to the surface. As they decompose on the bottom it raises the ammonia levels in the water which they can monitor in the water plant.
No doubt fattens up the pike as well.
No1 felt dead with out any fish moving or any to be seen which is unusual.
I may need to visit other trout venues to get a fix.
P
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that the accountants have much to do with it. I really don't think they can control the water temperature in the Thames. The requirement to supply water to an increasing number of people does have a lot to do with. In fact it has everything to do with it. During the meeting that Peter and I attended I asked how long it would take to draw down the reservoirs to critical levels if pumping in from the Thames stopped. The answer was 3 weeks for F1 and by extension 6 weeks for F2. We have to accept the fact that the reservoirs are there to supply water to homes and businesses. Even if fishing and sailing were to stop it would not affect that primary purpose. That is the basic fact we have to live with.

Talking to Will Barnard the ammonia spike that Peter referred to was not as great or long-lived as in the last two years which indicates that the mortality was smaller. Obviously it is not possible to put a precise figure or even a best guess as to the precise numbers. More fish will be added once water temperatures reduce to reasonable levels which is probably around 15 degrees.

Will Lawrence made an interesting comment during that meeting which was that when water is pumped in via the surface inlet it sets up a current across the reservoir to the draw-off tower by the access ramp. It is quite noticeable apparently. I have raised with Kirsty whether or not more could be made of this phenomenon by pumping in via the surface inlet during the warm summer months and drawing off via the tower at a higher level. I am assuming that it is possible to draw water at various levels. No response thus far, but I will pursue this query with WillB.
Liked by: Fryfishing, BristolFlyer
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that current is the reason that the drift from the tower near the North Bank to the east on no2 is so productive in the winter. I have always put it down to the extensive mussel beds their..

What was the species of invasive mussels Will B mentioned?
P
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

I think it was quagga mussels. Sounds more like some obscure African animal.

Bob
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quagga_mussel

Interestingly, yellow perch ( a version of the UK perch) have a taste for them.. The artical is informative but based on US and Canada.
P
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is for sure, no-one will be able to blame anglers for their presence. Sailors yet again I fear.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are not on Facebook, this was uploaded to their FB page earlier this morning ...

Predator fishing

Its getting to that time of year again. To all predator anglers, farmoor will be offering predator fishing from 1st November until 14th March for lure and bait fishing for information see below

Bank full day tickets £25
1 person boat tickets £45
2 person boat tickets £70
No winter season tickets
Full year predator season (lure 1st Nov to 14th march) and fly all year £400
All boat and Bank tickets must be pre booked card payment by phone only 07747640707
No boat available on farmoor 1 at this time

Rules

Barbless hooked lure only
Minimum lure size is 3 inches
Lure between 3 to 5 inches must be single hook only
Lure over 5 inches must be mounted on a wire trace
No spinners, spoons or blades of any description to be used
Strictly no worn or other organic bait to be used
Trout to be returned quickly and safely
Lure fishing is single rod only, no dead rod fishing ie leaving a second rod on the boat side to fish itself is strictly forbidden
All anglers to have adequate unhooking facilities including mat, landing net, forceps etc
Minimum line strength 8lbs for perch and 15lbs for pike
No trolling on petrol engines
There is no fishing within 50 yards of the bank and 30 yards from other structures or other boat users
No fishing in the North East corner of farmoor 2 where the Sailing Club launch from ( the beach area)
Bait predator anglers two rods maximum
Sea dead only
Only live bait supplied by tw ranger ( when available) to be used
Large unhooking mats and a minimum net size of 38 inches when pike fishing
Wire trace to be used when pike fishing

Please call the tw rangers on 07747640707 to book or for further information
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: