The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Farmoor 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The fish are shoaling up"

I thought the same, I wonder if it is down the the number of cormorants or they are happy in a shoal due to a previous life in the stock pond.

Well done on the four fish Doug. My expericence is there is always someone at the dock who has cleaned up.
P
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post script to above - there was a dead pike lying in the culvert next to the boat ramp. Notwithstanding that it was bloated I reckon it could have made high teens or low 20's. I wonder how it met it's demise.
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbows are more of a shoal fish than are browns which is why if you catch one and get back in quick you can often catch more.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a busy time at Farmoor yesterday 9th, arriving at around 10 to miss the rain and the lower temperatures. There were several boats out already and at least another three boats including me unpacking cars and loading the boats. It was much warmer than the previous few days and the BBC forecast was spot on with 5 mph S/W wind.
Ben was on the dock helping out, he pointed out the locations where fish had been caught the previous few days. I set a course for the west bank and the calm water to sort my self out before a cast in anger.
It was obvious that there were fish along the causeway bank (as Ben predicted), I could see the occasional fish being netted. I motored across and started fishing with almost instant contact with fish but nothing staying connected. After a few adjustments I started to land fish, the ones I caught looked to me like the stock fish that had been put in during the last few months. Once I had worked out the method it was very consistent with fish coming to the boat regularly.
Around 2pm I had two fish on at once and even managed to land them both, one to the white boobie on the point and the other to the black on the dropper. At that point I thought I would go in search for some grown on fish and setoff for the S/W bank for a drift around some known areas. I had the fish finder with me but apart from a few signals from the bottom it all looked rather empty
I drifted across the main bowl back towards the causeway without any indications of fish but once in line with the causeway tower the bites started again and another stocky came to the boat.
I called it a day at around 3.15 and guess I had had between 15 and 20 fish, they were all in great condition and fought all the way to the boat, but no grown-on trout put in an appearance.
It was a fun day. The pikers were live baiting by the main boat dock and the grown men were sailing their toy yachts on my return to the dock.
I have some video from the day so will no doubt load a YouTube link later.
P

[img][/img]
Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, Peter. Very Happy

Sorry you didn't find any naturalised fish but always fun to get your string pulled regularly.

I'll look forward to the YouTube link. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Peter - I wonder if they lost all of the older fish due to warm water earlier this year. What method was successful?
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering the same re the more resedent fish dying off in the heat wave, maybe a bit more exploring with diffrent methods and the fish finder may produce some bigger fish. I also have a sneaky idea the perch fishers may be catching them close in by the main dock. They were so close on Wednesday that I am not sure why they did not just stay moored to the dock.

The method for me was DI8, 10 foot leader, white on the point black on the dropper, backdrifting. I heard other caught more on diffrent flies but they were happy to bash the stockies all day.
P
Liked by: tenet
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is, let me know what you think.
P

Link

Liked by: lakefisher
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to produce the clip. Need to get out there sooooon. Smile
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice clip there, Peter! Very Happy

I particularly liked the footage around the tower in the middle of the reservoir which always remind me of the AT-ST Walkers in Star Wars. That's one of my favourite places to fish but I have also suffered a few 'bite offs' in the past when fishing close to it. Sad
I also enjoyed the double hook up too. I had one like that with big Perch on Chew and made the mistake of netting the smaller one then trying to net the bigger one on the point. As a result the bigger one saw the net coming and bolted which dragged the smaller one back out of my net behind it! Embarassed Laughing

You got the method for netting both spot on! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Fryfishing
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed a couple from Darlow on Thursday. 31/2 and 4lb. Fillets being smoked for Christmas.🤗

tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoked after curing in salt, sugar and honey. Mmmmm
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very tasty, Doug! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Doug.
I am having access issues to the Forum at the moment.

Now that I am in tier 4 I am unable to travel to Farmoor as Oxford is tier 2, we also cancelled our Christmas in Cornwall. So I just have panick buying at the supermarket to deal with now.
Confused
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had access problems and spent hours fiddling about trying all sorts, not really knowing what I was doing. It transpired that it was the DNS servers at TalkTalk (my ISP) that needed refreshing and lo and behold all came good after a couple of days as was advised by Rich and his IT guru. Really strange as I could access the site via 4G on my phone but was blocked when on WiFi at home.

Back to Farmoor - fishing off the scale with boats reporting 30 - 50 fish to 2 rods back drifting. This has been reported on FB and one wonders if there is a whole knew meaning to the expression Stockie bashing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: