The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Farmoor 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have booked a boat for Friday 30 th to see what is going on at Farmoor.
The wardens think the fish are high in the water so hopefully a floating line but maybe an intermediate of some description.

P
Liked by: Allrounder
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they have recommenced stocking so things should be on the up (hopefully). Hope you have a good day. Off to Cornwall at the end of next week but will give F2 a go on my return.
Liked by: Allrounder
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A session at Darlow today, had 4 nice rainbows to 3lb key and a cracking Brown which would have made 3 lb plus. The picture doesn't give it credit regarding size.

All fish taken on damsel fly
Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher, Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As predicted the boats were cancelled today on Farmoor so I fished the bank after being informed that both 1 & 2 were fishing well. Wylye had also caught some browns earlier in the week and word on the bank was they had stocked both bowls ready for a match next week.
I fished on No1 and started with nymphs on a washing line (water temps is down to 14c). The point fly was a dry deer hair pattern then a white boobie, next a black boobie, next a red shipmas and then desperation kicked in, a fry type lure.
It was obvious nothing was happening around the two bowls as the cars were on the move and other fishers reported zero action. One fella on No1 caught a few of the stocked browns , I heard him saying on a daddy long legs.
I gave up at 2 and decided to go home as the rain was starting and the causeway on no1 was now shoulder to shoulder.
On the inlet corner of No1 there were a lot of brown trout circling but they were in terrible condition. There were large amounts of white fungal growth on their noses and fins. Benn the warden said it was caused by stress, maybe Wylye can shed some light on it but to my eye they looked grim.
I am now not sure what to do about planning my next visit.
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]

These were out today, they choose to do it infront of the fishermen. I did shout they should not be within 20 yards of the bank.
Apparently the warden said it should be 50 yards.
Confused
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound too good, Peter. Sad

It will be interesting to see the results of the match next week. Neutral

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound good Peter and with temps down to 14c one wonders what caused the fish to stress. They must have been catching for the causeway resembling combat fishing - very disappointing for you.
I tend to cherry pick my days and, accordingly with the vagaries of our weather forecasters , book boats just 24/48 hours in advance. Sometimes I miss out but being retired can usually reschedule any domestic duties to accommodate my desire to get afloat. Off to Cornwall in the morning staying at the Beach House Hayle, fantastic location and accommodation.
https://www.aspects-holidays.co.uk/cornwall/west-cornwall/hayle/p/the-beach-house
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great view across the beach. I hope you have been wind surfing and having paddle board lessons so you can fish No1 Very Happy
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have phoned the lodge this morning, Mark tells me that "they are to carry on as normal" so boat and bank are open.
P
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, unless they impose the same travel restrictions on fishing as apply in Wales. Sad

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a long journey for me, around 55 miles but it can take a looooooooooong time.
I am not sure how far you can travel to fish but I can not see it being any issue.
P
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a huge debate on a couple of surfing and kayaking groups that I belong to about whether the sports will be allowed.

Funnily enough it is the people that live at the sea saying that you can't travel to do either, and inlanders are disagreeing.

I think that overnight stays sill definitely be out, and then it will be left to the individual to decide what constitutes a 'reasonable distance'.

Or they might start stopping caravans and cars with kayaks on their roof racks on the M5 again Smile
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarification , this is what the Welsh Coronavirus Firebreak guidance says ...

Can I exercise by going fishing or horse riding?
This is not specifically prohibited. However, you should not be driving to get to somewhere to exercise, and the need to carry sports equipment isn’t regarded as a justification on its own for driving in these circumstances. This will mean in practice most people cannot do these things for the short period of the lockdown.

We should know tomorrow what the guidance is for England. Fingers crossed. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have broken my run of blanks at Farmoor today.
I started on No2. The water is crystal clear, and levels are dropping, so they are obviously not pumping water in as the Thames is up and running muddy. On the first bend which is the S/E corner there were rods bending. It was full of fresh stocked rainbows and they were up in the water, all it took was a white boobie and a couple of nymphs. After a couple of hours the wind increased from the North West which made casting tough and by now the trout had cottoned on that something was not right.

So I moved across to No1 to see what could be done there, but struggled to make contact with any fish. It struck me that the weed has disappeared from the shelf and the talk of large bags of fish were all about catching the fresh stock.
I transferred back to No2 threaded up the DI7, a short leader and a fry pattern boobie and set about classic Farmoor deep and slow. It was also a chance to practice my long-distance casting which went well. My efforts and tactic change were rewarded with a cracking grown on 4lb rainbow.
P
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say water temp on No2 14.
Very Happy
Liked by: JCP
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: