The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Farmoor 2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Farmoor 2020 Reply with quote

January 21st 2020.
My first trip to Farmoor of 2020, and it was a cold start so I wimped out and got there at around 10.30 when the temps started to rise and the fog had cleared for me and the reservoir.

The wind was very light so full on back drifting was not going to work, The DI7 a shortish leader two boobies and cast and retrieve. I started to get pulls and then fish almost straight away.
As the wind picked up I turned the boat around to feed out line behind, but the fish wanted the flies retrieved at a slightly faster rate than the drift of the boat so a steady fig of 8 and some pulls kept the fish coming.
The pink boobie did some damage but it was a black and green on the point that they really wanted. The strange thing was I had lots of pulls, thumps and fish on then off Sad

The bank remains closed, but according to Mark ( the warden) they would like to open it soon, it was closed because some Thames Water manager said it was unsafe ??? which is strange as it looked to me to only be down a couple of extra steps and no worse than when I fished there in December. Health and safety no doubt.
P

[img][/img]
Liked by: tenet, lakefisher, Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Liked by: lakefisher, tenet, Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Peter. Looks like you had a brilliant days sport! Cool
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Alan, so much so I was going to go again tomorrow 28th Jan. BUT all boat are canceled due to high gusting wind, (they use windguru).
Looking at the BBC is said a max of 15 mph and the predicted rain was no longer happening. I may head out to a local space with the lure rod but look at Farmoor for Friday.

Have a look at the video, I am quite pleased with the editing progress. Feel free to subscribe to my channel. Only another 800 subscribers needed before Google sends me a dollar Very Happy

The bank is now open for fishing.

Cheers
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Ben (the warden) today on the phone to try and understand the cancelation of boats due to gusting winds.
As above they use the windguru site for reference https://www.windguru.cz/16568 and it seems they look closely at wind speed plus high gusting and cancel boats if it is needed.
He also pointed out that is depends on wind direction for example if the wind is S/W or westerly it will be blowing towards the dock and they can let the boats out with higher levels of gusting.
Basically with a gusting wind across the dock towards the reservoir or North or East they will cancel boats at lower wind speeds. It makes sense as you would have to fight the wind and wave to return to the dock.

It does seem to me that there is a higher level of safety being practiced for the fishing at Farmoor, judging by the closing of the banks, attention to gusting winds and the new boat at docks practices now in place. If you have not been there recently, boats are now moored by the front and back and held sideways to the dock to make entry and exit easier and safer.

P
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting observations Peter.!

I try to cherry pick my days to avoid windy weather but I know that Bristol Water Fisheries operate a similar system based on wind direction rather than just wind/gust speed. As for closing of the banks I don't think I have heard of any bank closures at the Barrow Tanks which, as mini concrete bowls, are very similar in construction to Farmoor. However having fished on concrete banks covered in algae or black ice I can understand their reservations in these litigious times ! Sad

Also interesting to hear about the new boat mooring practice. From a punters point of view it would make embarking/disembarking easier but surely it also takes up more Jetty space? Have they fewer boats now? Confused

Alan
B.A.S.S.

tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an old crock like me the method of tethering the boats fore and aft makes eminent sense especially if you are a single rod. Without stanchions embarking and disembarking can be extremely dodgy as witnessed by my fall last year causing cuts and bruising.

Like Alan I cherry pick my days fishing and may make the journey on Thursday armed with some Flash Attack Booby snakes Shock we shall see.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fore and aft

I captain Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy good nautical expressions there Doug.

Yes agree with all the comments, it is now much easier to get in and out of the boats, especially if one of the wardens is at the dock to help.
It does take up a lot more room at the dock having the boats side on but I do not think they have reduced the number of boats on No2. I am starting to doubt there will be boats on No1.
(Have a look at my video it shows the boats on the dock)

I would check the windguru website Doug as I think the wind is gusting most of this week, I am hoping to go Friday fingers crossed.

I am up for sharing a boat this year if anyone wants to let me know.
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the threat of high winds, they did let the boats out today but the weekend and early next week is in doubt.
I arrive around 9am with my fingers firmly crossed that the boats would be allowed out and the sight of a lure fisherman hanging around the dock looking for perch meant it was going to be OK.
The wind was from the S/W so I crossed over to the south shore to set up my first drift and found it quite calm on arrival. Once I had drifted out maybe 300 yards it became much more hostile and the boat started to move at speed which meant a lack of control for back drifting and bites dried up. As the wind speed increased I decided to tie up to a buoy of the south bank and cast and retrieve, this worked a treat and bought at least four fish to the boat.
At around 1pm the wind started to drop so I tried drifting with the DI8, two boobies and a longer leader this worked with a fish almost every put in. The rain set in at 3 and combined with the strengthening wind I decieded to call it a day and head for the dock.
I estimate that I landed around 12 fish, kept 3 and lost at least 5 so a great day out on the water.
P
Liked by: tenet
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Peter - I was going yesterday but things conspired against me. Will try later next week with a high promised from mid week and lighter winds.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Doug.
I should have also said that the three fish that are now in the freezer were all empty, which is no doubt why they were taking the bright lures.

I am also looking at the weather a plotting another trip.
Peter
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan and I shared a boat today for a spot of winter trout fishing.
What can you say? Just when I thought I had the method worked out it comes back and shows you how wrong you can be Sad
At my end of the boat I had around 6 fish on then off for a spot of long range C&R meanwhile at Alan's end of the boat it was 7 fish successfully landed.
Well done that man.

Was it the DI5 out fishing the DI7 ? I would have said so but on returning to the dock another boat that we fished near had had a whole bag of fish on the DI7 ???

That said we had a great day together and had a good chance to put the world to right. I will look forward to Alan's report on the day.

Tonight I am staying in a local B&B and fishing again tomorrow Thursday, fingers crossed for a few more fish in the landing net.
Happy Days.
P
Liked by: tenet, lakefisher
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good summary of our trip, Peter! Very Happy

It was a lovely winters day for fishing, but not so good for back drifting as the morning was flat calm with little or no wind so we started by fishing sinking lines over the front of the boat. Peter took the D7 approach that I would normally take, but I saw one or two fish break surface so I elected to start with my D5 Sweep line to search the depths. I didn't have to wait long as my first fish came on only my second cast and took the Black Snake on the point at around mid depth! Very Happy

I thought I had cracked it ... but of course I hadn't. Rolling Eyes Laughing I continued to pick up the odd fish in mid water here and there throughout the morning and by lunch I had 5 including a large naturalised fish on the Snake Booby that really put a bend in my rod and a big stocky that looked and felt over 3lb.

After lunch the wind made back drifting more viable I picked up another two and lost three more in mid water but I wasn't complaining. The successful pattern early on was the Black Snake Booby on the point but as the day wore on the Pink Booby came into its own.

Peter spent a lot of time trying to locate fish for us and we covered most of our favourite drifts but all we got were the occasional wrenching pull without the normal taps and tugs that keep you on your toes. I also tried fishing deep for a while but the only fish I found were at mid depth but as Peter reported, another boat bagged 11 fishing hard on the bottom so they were obviously there if you could find them. Nice sunset too ...

Thanks for great day, Peter. Hope you fill your boots tomorrow! Cool

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Fryfishing, tenet, lakefisher, BristolFlyer, Silver Invicta
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done guys - was going to make the journey today but we have thick fog up here in the Cotswolds coupled with a hard frost so discretion and all that. Sad
Liked by: Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a very comfortable stay at the Conifer Lodge B&B , a very good full English breakfast and lashings of coffee I set of for the 5 minute drive back to Farmoor.
Due to the hard frost and fog I was not in a hurry so I was preparing to leave the dock at around 9.30 for a trip into the heavy fog ( I will add pictures later)

It was going to be an interesting experiment with the DI7, retrieve rates and depths, so to start I set up the same leader length and flies as yesterday to see what would happen.
The water was flat calm without a breath of wind so it was going to be cast and retrieve, the first cast produced a few knocks and on the third cast it was fish on and it also made it to the net Very Happy
Today they wanted in hard on the bottom with a slow figure of 8 retrieve and hanging the line just of the bottom got me a few heavy takes and fish.
The morning was hectic until the sun broke through the clouds around 12.30 and that slowed things right down. Moving around the reservoir got me a few more fish but I called it a day at around 3..
I lost count of the fish I got to the net but it is fair to say it was more than 10 but less than 20.
I definitely need to get my head around sinking lines, countdowns and depth, so a whole new learning curve.
I will load some pictures when my laptop is up and running.
P
Liked by: tenet, BristolFlyer, Allrounder
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: