The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Farmoor 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Peter sounds a tough day yet a ranger report on Facebook talks of over 6 fish average for the boats on F2.Hmmmm.
I had a day from the bank on Darlow (just up the road) today taking 3 good fish to 31/2lb on floating line and black db's. Like you we called it a day early as the wind and rain came in - it was blxxdy cold.
Liked by: Fryfishing
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod averages are seldom an accurate guide as to how any fishery is performing. I regard it as an indication and no more than that. 4 anglers catching 20 fish for an average of 5 is a different thing to 20 anglers catching 100. The latter tells me that the fishery is performing well to a variety of tactics and flies. The former tells me very little.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one fella who always catches more than everyone else, he was there yesterday.
We had a chat at the dock but he was cagey about his total for the day, he also said that there was no action until around 1 ish.
I had four to the boat but lost at least four trying to get them in, plus lots of heavy thumps then a slack line.
P
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two thoughts on backdrifting:

1) Is a trout swim bladder compromised when hooked in 30ft of water and brought fairly rapidly to the surface and, if so, should it be catch and kill?

2) in order to get ones lures down deep and dirty would some form of "downrigger" be acceptable?

Any thoughts?.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had an issue with trout coming up from 30 plus feet and going back fit and well. It also takes a while to get them up so it is not a case of winching them in.
A down rigger would work as they do it in Canada but I doubt that the rangers would allow that. The lure boys will get trout fishing a dropshot which is a way of suspending a lure/bait/fly at a set distance from the bottom.

Since I started using back drifting as a cold water, deep method I am constantly surprised at how subtle changes to the method can make a big difference to the catch rate.
P
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet and Peter

When you consider the speed at which trout hooked close to the bottom in 30' of water can be up to or close to the surface I would say that it doesn't do them any harm. Like most of the anglers who backdrift I've hooked a good few fish on boobies on the DI7 only to lose them as they head up through the water with me stripping line like the proverbial one-armed paper hanger trying to get back into contact only to find they've b*ggered off!

Downriggers would be seriously frowned upon. DI7 40+ with two boobies seems to work well enough.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for hour comments - just me musing on a wet and windy Sunday.

Rangers posted on FB that 20 boat anglers in the c&r competition on Saturday caught 151 fish Cool
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going up today for some old school long casting and boobie fishing from the bank.
Not sure how it will work out but better than decorating.
P
Liked by: BristolFlyer
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
I am going up today for some old school long casting and boobie fishing from the bank.
Not sure how it will work out but better than decorating.
P

Good luck! What is the situation with F1? Are they still stocking it despite the lack of boats?

I'm hoping to make a trip next weekend to infest F2 if conditions are good Very Happy
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a tough four hours fishing.
To start, the water is gin clear and down around 5 steps.
Yes No1 has been stocked but there are still no boats. I fished No1 and stood there thinking what a waste, all that water only me fishing it (at the time) and no access to 70% of it as you cant get out in a boat to cover the water.
My method was a two pronged attack, a DI7 with a short leader and boobie creeping it along the bottom and the DI3 with a longer leader, two small bobbies and fished with a mix of wait times and retrieves.
I did not get a pull, tap or any other sign of interest Sad
Two locals fished near me and said the bank was not fishing well, their method was a snake fly cast well out and rolly polly back but they had nothing and only fished near me for an hour or so before packing up.
After watching their workrate and lack of results I stuck with my approach until a very dark cloud approached and a sprinkle of rain. I decided to cut and run at around 3.15.

Standing at the edge and counting 120 plus cormorants, many feeding and dozens of grebes also feeding, I did wonder the effect they must have on the trout as they dive down to chase prey. I know that they chase the trout but probably not capable of eating them but it must spoke them.

Anyway fingers crossed for next time.
P
Liked by: BristolFlyer, tenet
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking to an old friend yesterday who is a regular season ticket holder fishing almost exclusively from the bank says this year on Farmoor has been poor and currently bank fishing challenging. He says all (or lots) the fish are currently holding off the pontoons on F2 so if afloat Dave give that area some attention.
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Speaking to an old friend yesterday who is a regular season ticket holder fishing almost exclusively from the bank says this year on Farmoor has been poor and currently bank fishing challenging. He says all (or lots) the fish are currently holding off the pontoons on F2 so if afloat Dave give that area some attention.

Not totally correct which shows how fallible, or selective, memory can be. I had some superb sessions off the bank in late March and through April until the guiding kicked off in a big way. Floating line, long leader and buzzers.

I had a boat session there in November and there were plenty of fish from halfway along the causeway for 200 yards out. So, they are not all camped out off the pontoon.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fishfinder was showing fish all over the place, but I did not see any close in.
I chose to fish from the bank as I thought it would be fun to try the old school fast sink line and boobie method, it was Very Happy
But I had the distinct impression that the fish were much further out than it is/was possible for a mear mortal to cast and fish.

The two gents that joined me on F1 for a short period were both using shooting head lines which has been the traditional way of achieving distance,. My forty plus DI lines worked well and went out a good way once I got the hang of casting them..
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
tenet wrote:

Not totally correct which shows how fallible, or selective, memory can be. I had some superb sessions off the bank in late March and through April until the guiding kicked off in a big way. Floating line, long leader and buzzers.

I had a boat session there in November and there were plenty of fish from halfway along the causeway for 200 yards out. So, they are not all camped out off the pontoon.

I can only tell what was told to me by someone who lives close to Farmoor and fishes multiple times per week. Selective or not my year at Farmoor has not been the best for a variety of reasons and looking back through this thread others have had the same poor results. Water temps have not helped and certainly TW decision not to stock until mid June was a mistake. I was told that the "suits" had not allocated money or some such thing.

Looking forward, I hope next year , for me, is better and we get more top of the water sport.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a tough year for me, not helped by the closed or to hot to fish period.
There has only been a few times that I had bumper sessions buzzer fishing from the bank and very little dry fly fishing.
The back drifting in winter has helps bump up my catch total for the year and fortunately I have till march until my season ticket expires otherwise I would be looking at £30 a visit.
I have been eleven times (a lot of missed fishing because of the heat) on my current season ticket and need to get another nine in to make it pay.

The closure of No1 to boats is also an issue for me as that is where I tend to fish when given a choice.
P
Liked by: tenet
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: