The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Farmoor 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good representation of our tactics and flies Peter, although I don't know where you found that fat bloke at the pointy end! Laughing Very Happy

I think I might need to tie up a few Coral Boobies before next time. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the layers we wear its hardly surprising we look like Michelin men.
Next time I may don the hipster beard to keep the face warm.
Cool
P
Liked by: Allrounder
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good video! I especially liked the preamble and seeing the famous Barbara Cartland in the flesh! Very Happy

Your red booby did make me wonder - I read something once that red is the first colour that disappears at depth. It was talking about bright reef fish like red snapper that are only bright in the open air and are actually camouflaged in the deep water. I think it also mentioned that the red holo diawl bach is most effective when fished near the surface.

http://thedivingblog.com/colors-underwater/

It could also explain why the bright green of the viva is so successful in deep cold water early season.

Of course that is to human eyes - who knows what the trout see!
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Yes I have read the theory that red disappears at depth.
My thoughts were on the trout I spoon last January which was full of blood worm.

Liked by: BristolFlyer
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just when I thought Allrounder and I were the hard men of winter fishing for rainbows.
I watched this video and realised we are mere whimps in comparison .
Shock

Link

wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad as a box of frogs comes to mind. That was one serious caddis larva though. I wonder if they'll allow that at Farmoor if it freezes over!
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wylye - are Farmoor's fishery rules posted anywhere. I can't remember seeing them in the office and they certainly ain't on the ticket. Boobies and sinking lines come to mind.
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet,

I have seen the rules sheet which I believe is posted up in the side room where tickets can be purchased. I've raised the point re snakes tied on tandem rigs because I note that the snakes they sell in the lodge are all tied on two hooks with the front hook snipped off. I also seem to recall getting a mild b*llocking from Mark several years ago because I fished a hares ear tied on a size 16 wee double, but that may have been because there were two other flies on the leader thus breaking the three "points" rule.

Sunk lines can be used on both reservoirs at any time, but boobies are banned on F1 apart from in the winter when they may be used. They are fair game at all times on F2, but the rod must be hand held and the flies retrieved. This has put a stop to the "ledgering" tactics that some of the older regulars used to do and which almost inevitably resulted in deep hooked fish.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just messaged Farmoor and Single hook only - barbless on c&r.

As an aside - every time I go on the Farmoor thread I get a message saying file is being downloaded. Hope it ain't a virus. Sad
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
tenet,

I have seen the rules sheet which I believe is posted up in the side room where tickets can be purchased. I've raised the point re snakes tied on tandem rigs because I note that the snakes they sell in the lodge are all tied on two hooks with the front hook snipped off. I also seem to recall getting a mild b*llocking from Mark several years ago because I fished a hares ear tied on a size 16 wee double, but that may have been because there were two other flies on the leader thus breaking the three "points" rule.

Sunk lines can be used on both reservoirs at any time, but boobies are banned on F1 apart from in the winter when they may be used. They are fair game at all times on F2, but the rod must be hand held and the flies retrieved. This has put a stop to the "ledgering" tactics that some of the older regulars used to do and which almost inevitably resulted in deep hooked fish.

Is this really a thing on F1? What about Washing Line on a floater, tip or inter? What about FAB’s? Static nymphing with foam on the point is a pretty standard tactic.

I get why legered boobies are considered a problem
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

appleman

They brought in the no boobies on F1 rule several years ago when F1 came back in-house as a C & R fishery in its own right and was fished on a separate ticket to F2. They then relaxed the rule slightly to allow boobies to be used during the winter months. As far as I know the no booby or flies incorporating foam rule still applies on F1 during the other 9 months of the season which in my view is fair enough. After all, there is a 240 acre pond a mere 20 feet away where such tactics CAN be used with no let or hindrance all on the same site-wide ticket.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that when Chris (since left TW) issued a reminder last year regarding boobies on F1 it only related to sinking lines. He made special reference to foam flies being acceptable for washing line tactics. I'm sure a trawl through their Facebook page will confirm this or alternatively call or message them.
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet,

If that is the case then fine. It's not a tactic I use much if at all.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have returned from another back drifting session on No 1 with Alan (5th Feb), when we arrived there was only a gentle breeze overcast sky and a touch of fog over the water.
We had to crunch through some ice on the boat dock to load the boat but I was surprised at how mild it was out of the wind.
The first drift was mostly with a southerly blow but the wind grew in force and proved to be very cold.
The water temp was 4.0 and the clarity very good.
It soon became apparent that the fishing was not going to be easy as we completed two drifts from the south to north bank with only a few half hearted plucks and pulls.
Alan connected with the first fish and seem to be getting more interest from the fish than I was.
So there was a lot of swapping of flies and changes to fly lines plus length of line fed out, I finally had one almighty pull on the DI8 but it did not stick.
After a couple of hours Alan's fish was the only one that had been landed, SO when the going gets tough the tough call on Barbra Cartland Very Happy

I tied her on with a Rapala knot fed the whole DI8 out and held on. Half way into the drift it was fish on and it was not a happy, it was my biggest fish of the day a good three and a half pounds of over wintered trout.
I had two more to the B.C but the cold was getting to us so we went in for a snack and a hot cup of tea.
After lunch we went back to the drift that was producing the fish and concentrated our efforts there, the fish came to the B.C on the point but as the afternoon wore on they seemed to prefer the smaller green boobie on the dropper.
We finished the day with 15 to the boat but should have landed more, if our fingers were not so cold I think we would have made more effort to swap to smaller and newer boobies to keep up with what the fish seemed to want.

Another great day afloat with Alan, no doubt there will be some more trips booked for February.
P
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report there which sums things up nicely, although he is too polite to mention that he handed me another back drifting lesson, landing 9 fish to my 6! Rolling Eyes Laughing

I'd also like to emphasise that the wind was f-f-f-f-f-flippin' c-c-c-cold today and by the time we came in for lunch my fingers had virtually seized up thanks to my lack of fishy action and it seemed like it was taking me up to half a drift to tie on a new fly. Embarassed

Thankfully the pasty, beans and a stonking great helping of chips plus an extra layer of clothing sorted out the cold, and Peter's generous offer of one of his B.C. Snakes ensured that I still haven't caught less than 5 fish at Farmoor, although it was a very close thing! Laughing

Here are a couple of (not very good) stills of Pete with a Brownie and his best Rainbow ...

Another very enjoyable session with Peter who has certainly got a better grasp of the nuances of back drifting than me! Very Happy

Until next time... Wink

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: Fryfishing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: