The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Farmoor 2019
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Farmoor 2019 Reply with quote

Hello All.
2019 has arrived and it is time to start a new post for the Farmoor reservoir.
Looking back at previous years I would not normally be fishing their until March, but these days with the temptations of big over wintered trout and the method to catch them we are starting a lot earlier in the New Year.

Here is a link to their rather out of date website https://www.thameswater.co.uk/sitecore/content/Corporate/Corporate/About-us/community/great-days-out/fishing/fishing-at-farmoor

The web site is showing last year prices so we will have to wait and see if there are any changes.

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/sitecore/content/Corporate/Corporate/About-us/community/great-days-out/fishing/fishing-at-farmoor/farmoor-fishery-prices

Mark did mention that they would be extending 2018 season ticket to the end of March due to the closure of the waters in summer 2018, but we will have to wait for confirmation of that.

For those who enjoy Pike and Perch fishing it will be open until the end of March but you will need to talk to the wardens re rules and regulations.

I have my first boat of the year booked for the 11th January.

Tight lines.
P
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Peter. It's good to see a new thread started for 2019. Looking forward to our first trip already ! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

January 11 and I am arriving outside the gate at Farmoor at 7.30 am after a very easy drive, Alan is not far behind me. There are a selection of cars waiting for the gates to open at 8 am so we thought it was going to be a busy day on the two bowls.
The conditions were good with a light westerly wind and over cast sky, water levels are down around ten steps and the water is clear but with a spot of algae at the edges.
We had a boat booked on No1 so we loaded up set up the rods and were out on the water by 9 am. Our first drift started on the N/W bank and we commenced back drifting. The fish responded and Alan had the first fish to the boat which was quickly followed by his first Farmoor brown trout.
The morning proved to be the most productive with both of us catching fish throughout the morning. By late morning the wind had picked up and we were getting cold so we went in for a hot tea and and a snack in the cafe.
The afternoon proved a lot less productive with less fish being hooked and landed.
As always there were a few lessons learnt, for me I found that I could get fish in the light wind by just “hanging” the fast sink section of the line.
It is always good to spend a day afloat with Alan and we are planning some more winter outings before Bristol Water opens.
Here are some highlights, I am afraid I did not get a picture of Alan's first Farmoor Brown.

Liked by: Allrounder, tenet, blondie
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent report, Peter. Cool

I'd just add that the lake was almost flat calm when we first set out and we had 4 fish to the boat in the first 15 minutes or so using traditional sinking line methods (ie casting rather than just backdrifting) so we thought we were on for a red letter day. However as the day wore on the wind picked up and got much colder, especially in the afternoon

Peter mentioned fish taking on the hang especially by the valve tower and we even saw one or two fish rise in the flat calm early on which was enough to persuade me to set up a midge tip with a team of buzzers on a 20 foot leader. However I didn't get a chance to use it as the wind picked up soon afterwards. Sad

By lunch we had 10 or 11 between us but couldn't match our performance in the afternoon, ending up with 14 to the boat. Peter deservedly had the lions share and all the better fish although I did manage to winkle out my first every Brownie from Farmoor which made my trip. Not a big Brownie by any standards but certainly most welcome especially on my first trip of 2019! Very Happy

I think I might just be able to manage another trip to Farmoor before Chew opens, Peter! Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Fryfishing, tenet, blondie
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbra Cartland even put in an appearance to help out Very Happy

drsixty7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reporting fellas, looks like a very rewarding morning session at least, make me want to make some time to venture out myself!
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Drsixty.
I was a good day.
The thing about back drifting is that although it seems to be a cheat to just dragging a fast sink along the bottom and in some circumstances it is Shock
The more you do it the more you realise how many different twists you can put into the mix and increase the catch rate. For me after I have had a couple in the net I will start to experiment to see what works and techniques that do not produce on that particular day.

I have been taking the fish finder with us on these outings not so much for looking for the trout but to get a good mental plan of the bottom of F1. But using the fish finder we would spot pods of fish on the bottom and then work out when our flies will pass by them and in most cases we would get connections or knocks from the fish.
The other boat that was out on No1 were back drifting until they found some fish then they anchored and fished over the front of the boat which is always an option but in my opinion would probably require a different line density and shorter leader.

Next week I may head back up there with the lure rods to try for the perch in some of the trenches and holes we found.
P

Last edited by Fryfishing on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan - the Brownie looked a bit thin or was that just the angle of the camera? I mention that as the other year my partner had a very thin Brownie whereas the 'bows were in good nick.

As an aside - would TW object to a form of "downrigger" when back drifting. It seems the logical thing rather than Di8 or lead core lines coupled with Booby snakes.

Good reports guys Smile Smile

Cheers - Doug
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brown was in very good condition Doug but the rainbows were also plum. Judging from last year they are probably full of blood worm.
Not sure about down riggers, I some how doubt T.W would agree to that.
I can see you now with the big lead balls at your end of the boat Shock
Very Happy
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are probably right re TW but there are small downriggers which would suit without the need for my large lead balls Rolling Eyes You might want one for your kayak, the downrigger that is,. Smile

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/Downriggers/Cannon-Mini-Troll-Manual-Downrigger.htm

Cheers - Doug
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Alan - the Brownie looked a bit thin or was that just the angle of the camera?

I thought the Brownie was a little on the thin side too and put it down to it being a fish that went in a while ago and had become naturalised. However it gave a very good account of itself and I was delighted when this spotty back broke surface in a near flat calm.

Looking back it is interesting to note that my most productive time was the first couple of hours when the lack of wind meant I had to cast a good line and retrieve it in the normal way. As I joked to Peter, if we just back drifted it would take us 20 minutes to cover 20 feet. Laughing

Later when the wind picked up we back drifted in the usual manner but like all angling methods there is more to it than simply dragging a fast sinker behind the boat. That will probably catch you some fish, but if you want to up your catch rate you have to tweak your approach to suit the conditions on the day. That's something I failed to do as successfully as Peter, or the guys who fished Tim's (Appleman) Christmas match a couple of weeks ago.

Still it says something for the fishery that I am kicking myself for 'only' catching 6 fish in January! If I lived closer I would certainly fish it a lot more than I do. Very Happy

Alan
PS Peter's 'Barbara Cartland' Snake certainly got me out of jail in the afternoon! Laughing Very Happy
B.A.S.S.

Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmoor is pretty special. The deep line work through the winter is great and the sport superb. Spring, the nymphs, drys and top of the water fishing is epic and the fish are bang on. Strong, silvered up lumps. There’s not a lot not to like.

Next trip is in a couple of weeks to F1 and I can’t wait 😉
Liked by: Fryfishing, Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dynamic Duo returned to Farmoor today (25th of January), bass bags and priests at the ready.

We were not the first through the gate, but it took some time for us to make it out onto the water due to an engine not starting, changing boats and a lot of faffing around on my part.
We motored across to the west bank of No2 and set up the boat for the first drift and we were getting fish from the off. The first fish I had proved to be the biggest of the day a three and half pound rainbow.
Drifting from the west bank along the south shore we found a lot of fish and had a cracking morning catching them on long slow drifts.

After a cup of tea and snacks at lunch time we returned to the business at hand but with much stronger winds and faster drifts. We were still getting takes but fewer of them and we needed to ajust leaders, retrieves and flies to maintain contact with the fish.
We ended the day with 15 fish to the boat but also lost quite a few so it was a great day out on the water with lots of action to pass the time.
The flies that worked on the day for me were standard boobies in White, coroal and the pink snake AKA the Barbra Cartland. Very Happy Interestingly all the fish we spooned were empty.
There was also a nice rainbow over the water as well as in the water.
The water level is up almost too full levels with some colour in the water on the windward banks.
As always it was great to have share a boat with Alan and catch up, we have a few more weeks before Chew opens so no doubt we may squeeze in another trip together.

Liked by: lakefisher, tenet
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report from Peter which captures the day very well. The conditions in the morning couldn't have been much better and the fish responded accordingly although I had to watch him net 4 fish including the 3-8 fish above before I even got my first pull!

As the morning wore on the wind picked up and the number of pulls dropped off dramatically but we still had 11 to the boat when we went in for lunch. Looking back I made the mistake of starting off fishing Snakes but it was the standard Boobies they wanted and once I made the change later in the morning I started to get pulls too.

The afternoon session was a different story in the stronger wind and we both struggled to find the fish but there were enough tweaks and tugs to keep us on our toes. As Peter said we ended the day with 15 to the boat although he managed a very well deserved 10 fish to my 5 as well as the best fish of the day. However we both shared this sunset .... Cool

So a great day on the reservoir again with Peter where I got well and truly schooled on the dark art. Laughing Cool

Looking forward to next time already. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Fryfishing, tenet, lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited the video that I took at Farmoor and added some bits to it.
I need to do some more practice on filming and editing the vids and this is far from perfect.
Let me know what you think.
P

UPDATE
This a new link to my YouTube A/C

Link

Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher, BristolFlyer
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: