The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Farmoor 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Farmoor 2018 Reply with quote

Hello All.
I am considering a season ticket for Farmoor in 2018.
There are no prices on the website so after a phone call I can reveal that it is £600 for a seven day ticket and £450 for a week day ticket, this does not include boat costs and runs from February to February.
The day charges and boat costs are on the Farmoor /Thames water website.

Predator fishing has also been extended into March.

My first visit is booked in for the 23rd January for a spot of back drifting with Allrounder
Tight line for 2018.
Peter
Liked by: Allrounder
VGB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you mean thatís the season cost for a Monday to Friday ticket, compared to a season ticket for any day of the week. Otherwise, itís going to be up there with chalk stream prices Very Happy
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that's a 7 days a week or 5 days a week fishing if you can stand it.

If I could find a chalkstream giving me 5 days a week for £450 I'd be there like a rat up a drainpipe.
Liked by: Fryfishing
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see the 2018 thread started. Cool

You sure you didn't get wear the beard in your avatar in order to blag a concessionary price, Peter? Laughing

Looking forward to my first session on Farmoor 1 with you on Tuesday. Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Allrounder"] You sure you didn't get wear the beard in your avatar in order to blag a concessionary price, Peter? :

As you know it is my new hipster look courtesy of the good lady via a Brighton shop.
Very Happy
VGB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
I think you'll find that's a 7 days a week or 5 days a week fishing if you can stand it.

If I could find a chalkstream giving me 5 days a week for £450 I'd be there like a rat up a drainpipe.

You can but you would have had to have completed some military service first Very Happy
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23rd January and it is my first visit of the year to Farmoor, Allrounder A.K.A Alan was sharing a boat for a day of back drifting on No1.

The water levels are back up to almost full and the clarity is good. I think we were the only boat out today on both 1 & 2 and there was only a few locals on the bank.

It was a day of two halves, I caught the fish in the morning and Alan caught them in the afternoon. We came to the conclusion that it was down to density of lines as the fished moved hard too the bottom.
The stamp of the fish was phenomenal hard fighting, crafty and able to throw the hook with ease.

As the day went on the wind became stronger and the drifts a lot faster (this is where Alan's D.I.8 paid off) the fish were down at the east end and we could only get short drifts over them.
It was a great days fishing with Alan and it also exercised the little grey cells.

Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher, blondie, montanajoe
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good day afloat. You will have to add 'di-8s and blobs' to your signature Laughing
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit with 15mph winds and more rain forecast it was touch and go whether we would get out today but I think the cabin fever got the better of us and I'm glad it did. Laughing

As Peter has explained it was a game of two halves and before we came in for a cuppa he was getting most of the action and I couldn't buy a pull. Fortunately he suggested I try a longer leader and that seemed to do the trick especially in the afternoon after the wind picked up. Towards the end the boat was drifting along at a cracking pace and we joked that the only reason we didn't catch more was because the trout couldn't keep up with our flies. Laughing

There was one spot in front of the Tower where they seemed to be holed up and every time we drifted over it I got a pull as if by clockwork. And as usual they were shining silver bars that went like stink! I think we only had one drift where we didnt have at least a pull between us and we ended up with 10 to the boat with plenty lost on the way in and umpteen knocks and taps that didn't develop or lock up. Very Happy

I also had my knock off GoPro that I had for Christmas to try out for the first time and I was quite pleased with the results although there is still some way to go to get the best out of it. Here are a couple of pics from the day ...

The fish were in tip top condition and Peter's first fish was particularly lively ...

They didn't half pull...!!!

In the net ...

So a great days fishing in wonderful company. What better way to start my 2018 season ? Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, Fryfishing, blondie, montanajoe
Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: As reports go! Reply with quote

Cracking report guys. One normally gives up with wind speed like that. Were you using a drogue? Love the airbourne fish pic! Not to shabby Mr Camera man! Even ol clipboard has'nt got a pic like that, and that's sasying something
VGB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done both of you
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: As reports go! Reply with quote

Zimfisherboy wrote:
Were you using a drogue?

Thanks All
No drogue was used during the day, it was as the Irish would say "a fresh wind" Very Happy
We did not connect with the Farmoor 1 monster trout which was a shame but as Alan said they were all lovely over wintered fish.
The down side to back drifting Farmoor 1 in a strong wind is it is much smaller than No2 so the drifts are short and you need a boat with an engine that starts first pull so you do not run aground.

It certainly was a good start to 2018.
Peter
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've backdrifted with a drogue - ONCE. Not a game to be recommended as once the fish get close, the drogue is in the way and offers the fish an easy escape route.

15mph is really too quick for good backdrifting as you really need to get down as Peter and Alan found. 10mph is as quick as I like to go and 5-7 is ideal as the lures get right down on the deck and still fish at a decent speed.
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: As reports go! Reply with quote

Zimfisherboy wrote:
Love the airbourne fish pic! Not to shabby Mr Camera man! Even ol clipboard has'nt got a pic like that, and that's sasying something

I cheated by using an action camera mounted on my chest to capture the clip and it was then just a question of selecting the frame I wanted for the pic. So Nigel's reputation is secure! Laughing

wylye wrote:
I've backdrifted with a drogue - ONCE. Not a game to be recommended as once the fish get close, the drogue is in the way and offers the fish an easy escape route.

15mph is really too quick for good backdrifting as you really need to get down as Peter and Alan found. 10mph is as quick as I like to go and 5-7 is ideal as the lures get right down on the deck and still fish at a decent speed.

Dave (bristolflyer) and I used a drogue on our last trip as we started off fishing over the front and didn't bother to bring it in. We coped after a fashion but I agree - offering a fish what looks like shelter as you are bringing it towards the net isn't a very clever idea! Rolling Eyes
I also agree that the conditions were far from ideal for back drifting but in our defence it's been a long winter. Early on we found No.1 was more sheltered than No.2 but later in the day when the wind changed direction our flies were probably moving at the same speed as a brisk roly poly retrieve. Shock Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wind is a tad too much for backdrifting Alan, try chucking your drogue out the stern or bow of the boat, (properly secured) and fish Northampton Style - can be very effective. Most takes come just as your line fishes around the curve Wink

HTH ....... Tony Cool
Liked by: Allrounder, JCP
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: