The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TD deserves an apology from some Members. He has explained everything clearly and CV was definitely in better condition when He was there.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if your comments are directed at me codfather - i totally agree that CV was a better place during Tony's tenure which was no doubt down to his leadership and direction. Notwithstanding, I found his personality to be abrasive and his diatribe against me in his second response confirms this point.

I'm out.
malerogue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to put the record straight I too was greatly disappointed when Tony left, he had the drive and vision to make the fishery work especially with the income from the pike. That said many of the ST holders found his attitude abrasive but no one can dispute he wanted to make the fishery successful despite his line managers' agenda.
What I would like to see is a viable fishery once again and I know its a cliche ...if we don't use it etc...
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Water Quality Reply with quote

Allrounder,

Ref Water Quality....

Contamination from the run-off from adjacent farmland into CVL and Blagdon has been frequently raised as a problem but is clearly a tough nut to crack and I'm sure will be on your future agenda at some stage when water quality is discussed.

Setting the contamination issue aside for now, I have read that from time to time BW pump water in from the Severn via the Sharpness canal while the river flows are adequate. I am guessing that this abstracted water is then directly treated and then pumped out to consumers? Perhaps most of it is never held in the reservoirs before heading out to the consumers?

Presumably when this river flow abstraction becomes infeasible due to reduced flows, they then start pumping out from the reservoirs.

But, by then the water quality at CVL has deteriorated markedly and never really recovers until higher natural rainfalls freshen things up.

Is there potential (with some associated cost) to pump from the rivers first into the reservoirs which will then be freshened up?
Then this rejuvenated reservoir water is pumped out for treatment and on to the consumer.
The incremental cost of doing this doesn't seem excessive and I would imagine that the consumer would be happy to know that the reservoir holding water was becoming a much higher quality and this would be a major contribution from BW to solving this problem.

Obviously, I am no water engineer! But there does seem to be an opportunity somewhere here....and some good PR for BW as well.
Headline..."BW reacts as global warming impacts summer water quality in their reservoirs. Angling community and consumers delighted!" etc etc.

A bit of education from, and discussion with, the water engineers might be productive.

Just musing,
McFly
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased that Tony Donnelly took the time to contribute to this discussion and the fact that even now he still takes an interest in what is happening down here sums up the kind of guy he is. Abrasive? Yes, he could be - but I always felt that was due to the pride he felt for 'his' fishery and what he wanted to achieve at BWF. What wouldn't we give to have some of that now? I've read through his first contribution a few times now and for me a few things stand out ...

TDonnelly wrote:
If the department was structured and operated correctly I can absolutely guarantee you that the fisheries would be viable. I explained how to make that happen in Autumn 2014 shortly before a new lakeside services manager was parachuted into the department.

The thing I take from this is that the main problems are operational rather than a lack of financial support. Yes, of course more money would be helpful and I'm sure Tony would have welcomed it with open arms, but nowhere in his contribution does he raise lack of finance as a barrier to running a successful fishery during his tenure.

TDonnelly wrote:
Also, I wouldn’t blame all your piscatorial problems on the water quality issue. Yes, it is poor, and the EA reports could be a potential embarrassment to BW on the water supply side. However, had the fisheries been managed and staffed appropriately over the past few years I doubt there would be much need for BW to be forming steering groups consisting of paying customers to help them how to operate their business!

The point I'm taking from this is while Tony accepts that water quality during his tenure was certainly not helping, it was not the deciding factor between operating a successful fishery and a failing fishery.

TDonnelly wrote:
Sadly, the attitude of those pulling the strings for the past few years has been that “they are our lakes, we can do what we like”.

This is important. While there may have been a change of heart by the new CEO towards BWF, no doubt due down to the brilliant campaign by the BRFFA, we must not forget that the people who agreed (and were possibly delighted!) to 'put BWF back into its corporate box' are still in their jobs and are unlikely to have changed their sympathies. Despite the reprieve, I think it would be a mistake to believe that if BWF doesn't show evidence that it is heading in the right direction very quickly that the 'anti angling' faction within BW won't be back for another go. Sad

A recent demonstration of the arrogance of BW's water engineers is that they rent Chew Magna Reservoir to Knowle Angling Association and not for the first time and without any prior warning to the Club, the engineers dropped the water level in the lake which led to wasted journeys and some ear ache for hard pressed Committee members. You can find the discussion on Facebook if you scroll down to the relevant post on 12 January here

This leads on to Mc07Fly's point about water management. There have been complaints from Hatchery staff for years that they have absolutely no control over the water they get which is switched from source to source as the BW engineers see fit. The water engineers appear to be a law unto themselves and this can play havoc with fish rearing due to water temperature fluctuation. The Hatchery staff claim they are given absolutely no say in this whatsoever. What two better examples of 'they are our lakes, we can do as we like' do we need? Sad

From my own point of view, Tony's contribution seems like a good place to end this particular phase of the discussion and I would like to thank both him and every one else for taking the trouble to express their thoughts on a subject which I know is very close to everyone's hearts. I have found it extremely helpful and I am now confident that I have good handle on what is needed going forward. I won't contribute any further to this debate until after the next meeting when I hope there will be some positive proposals to report prior to the start of the season.

In the meantime GO FISHING, GUYS! It is a lot more fun! Laughing

Alan Wink
Clarification on 17/1/18 to 'BW water engineers' from 'BW' in my KAA comment above.
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.

Last edited by Allrounder on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: lakefisher, tenet, blondie, mc07fly, BristolFlyer
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the water level is only a foot or two below top level at Chew at the moment which is great news. It has come up a fair way over the last 2 weeks so hopefully it will be going oven the spillway by the end of the month. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John copying your spillway pictures Alan,I do believe on Facebook Shock lol
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one of mine Steve, must be one of his. Shows there isn't far to go Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following items are on the agenda for the next BWF Support Group meeting in February ...

Beginner days
What could we improve?
Do we have enough?
Are they priced effectively?
How do we get information out to new comers?
How do we ensure they continue with their interest into fly fishing?
What packages could we offer?

Mentoring
Can we get local anglers to help provide a pathway for newcomers?
How many days would volunteers need to donate each season?
Would people do it for free or does there need to be an incentive?
What level of instruction is required?
CRB and Qualifications….What is required to make this possible?

Open days/Family days
How many should we host and when?
What should they include and what do they NEED to cover?
Who can help get them off the ground? Do we need volunteers to help with casting tuition, fly tying demos, gutting demos and cooking demonstrations?

We have covered some of this previously but if anyone has any further constructive thoughts Laughing to add then feel free to contribute either on here or you can send me a PM (private message) if you prefer. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting to hear what's going on Al. Lots of interesting discussions for the management and customers! Keep us informed Wink
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW could arrange an open day to get newcomers interested and also bring back old customers. It only takes one Trout to get someone hooked for life Smile
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are interested, the official notes from the first BWF Users Group can now be found on the excellent BRFFA website here along with the reply from Mel Karam (BW CEO) to a letter from Jacob Rees-Mogg MP.

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: blondie
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaps, please note that I've created a separate board for Bristol Waters as it gets such a lot of attention, so that's where you all are now. I've moved most of the threads across from the Stillwaters sub-forum where they were originally but let me know of any threads you spot that need moving as well. Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Liked by: blondie
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent Rich a list of links relating to various BWR posts since 2006 so hopefully they will be all in one place now. Very Happy

Giving the Bristol Waters Reservoirs threads their own section will not only make it easier to navigate but will also create an archive going back 12 years! Cool

Nice one, Rich! Cool

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
I've sent Rich a list of links relating to various BWR posts since 2006 so hopefully they will be all in one place now. Very Happy

Giving the Bristol Waters Reservoirs threads their own section will not only make it easier to navigate but will also create an archive going back 12 years! Cool

Nice one, Rich! Cool

Alan Wink

I think I've moved all the additional threads you've suggested Al, but if anybody spots others just drop me a PM with a link and I'll sort it. Quite a body of work gentlemen! Keep it going! Cool

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 5 of 38

Jump to: