The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Bristol Water Reservoirs 2018 Reply with quote

It's 2018 folks, so time for a new Bristol Waters Reservoirs thread! Very Happy

I think it is fair to say that the next two years will be the most challenging for the lakes, and certainly for Chew, since the first Bristol Water Reservoirs thread was started way back in 2006. However the omens look promising with the lakes filling fast and ongoing constructive discussions with Bristol Water suggesting that things are starting to move in the right direction. Lets hope so.

As usual you will find links below that should tell you all you need to know about the coming season on the lakes with a few new additions, although if I've missed anything let me know so I can add them below. Very Happy

Winter trout Fishing with Bristol Water Fisheries
For those who cannot wait until March, Bristol Water Fisheries offer trout fishing all year round at Litton Lakes and during February and March you can fish for the reduced price of £40 per person ! Scroll down here for more details or contact Woodford Lodge on 01275 332339.

The Bristol Water Fisheries website : the official voice of Bristol Water Fisheries ...
http://www.bristolwaterfisheries.co.uk/

The Bristol Water Fisheries Facebook page : For the latest news and comments from the fisheries team...
https://www.facebook.com/BristolWaterFisheries/?fref=ts

Reservoir season dates here

Ticket prices here Please note that these are subject to ongoing discussions!

Beginners guides to fishing Chew and Blagdon by Wilderness TV and others. Good advice for both newbies ... and us 'not so newbies'!! Laughing

Chew Valley Lake

Blagdon Lake

Excellent advice for boat and bank anglers fishing Blagdon and Chew. Blagdon first then Chew starts at 32.40

Mike Hobbs fishes Blagdon Part 1 ...

Mike Hobbs fishes Blagdon part 2

Fly fishing for trout on Blagdon with Simon Kidd

Some lovely Browns here from Chew!

Useful local websites ...
I've also included the usual links to local businesses and organisations that will be of interest to anyone who fishes the lakes. If I have missed any or if the links are out of date, let me know and I'll amend the list accordingly

Blagdon Lake : archived information about Blagdon
http://blagdonlake.wordpress.com/

Bristol Branch of the Fly Dressers Guild : Learn how to tie your own flies in the company of like minded fly fishers/fly tiers. All levels of flytier welcome.
For more details please contact arkle (John Horsfall) by PM (personal message) via this forum.

Chew Valley Lake weather: Regular updates from the Chew Valley Sailing Club weather station ....
http://www.chewvalleysailing.org.uk/sailing-racing/current-weather ...

Bishop Sutton Weather An alternative local weather forecast including archived weather statistics : http://www.bishopsuttonweather.org.uk/

5 day weather forecast for the Chew Valley area from the BBC

10 day wind forecasts for Chew Valley Lake from Wind Guru

Bristol Reservoirs Fly Fishers Association website : one of the longest established and most popular fly fishing clubs in the country. Check the site for updates on discussions with Bristol Water and much more. If you are not already a member, please consider joining. Membership £10, concessions £5, juniors free.
http://www.brffa.com/

Bristol Reservoirs Fly Fishers Association : Facebook page ....
https://www.facebook.com/BRFFA

John Horsey's blog for regular updates from one of the resident guides ...
http://www.johnhorsey.co.uk/blog

Or you can follow John on Twitter .. https://twitter.com/johnhorsey

Martin Cottis' website: the other resident guides website
http://www.troutguide.co.uk/

Regular fishing reports for Orvis by Martin Cottis from Chew Valley Lake and Blagdon Lake

Completefisher Forum Facebook
Many of you will know that Completefisher now has a complementary group on Facebook for those who prefer to consume their social media that way. https://www.facebook.com/groups/completefisher/
Facebook has the advantage of allowing content including video clips to be uploaded quickly and easily in 'real time' although I personally find that contributions can quickly get buried and lost under newer content. If you prefer to post fishing reports from the Bristol reservoirs on facebook, then please remember to copy them on this thread as well so that those who do not use Facebook can read them too! Smile

Wishing everyone 'tight lines' in 2018! Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.

Last edited by Allrounder on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 am; edited 4 times in total
Liked by: arkle, lakefisher, mc07fly, Whistlekiller, blondie, Fryfishing, malerogue, Bovver, swampydick
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan, a great deal of work go's into this every year.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Liked by: blondie, Fryfishing, Allrounder, lakefisher, csfcodhunter
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exellent well done Alan. Long overdue but have just emailed to brffa to join, what a great job there doing.
I think the fisheries can succeed as long as they want to, after all it was not that long ago when the banks of the tanks was full of anglers but last year it was a very lonely experience as was fishing blagdon.
work hard on retaining current custom, then go after the ones that have stopped fishing or moved on, then upsell to these guys( aquire e-mail addresses, have it put on tickets spam spam spam) I would then go after the pike boys temt them over to the fly, then when ships in order I would go for new blood.

Happy new year everyone
cheers mike
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and 'likes' guys - much appreciated! Cool

I had an airport pickup late this afternoon which took me over the dam at Chew so I checked to see how the water levels were doing. This was the state of play just under a week ago on the 27th December ...

and this is the state of play this evening (apologies for poor quality) ...

So still some way to go but with yet more heavy rain from Storm Eleanor lashing against the window this evening, I wouldn't be surprised to see the lake full by the time the lake reopens for piking in February. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
Thanks for the comments and 'likes' guys - much appreciated! Cool

I had an airport pickup late this afternoon which took me over the dam at Chew so I checked to see how the water levels were doing. This was the state of play just under a week ago on the 27th December ...

and this is the state of play this evening (apologies for poor quality) ...

So still some way to go but with yet more heavy rain from Storm Eleanor lashing against the window this evening, I wouldn't be surprised to see the lake full by the time the lake reopens for piking in February. Very Happy

Alan Wink

Another couple of feet up and you'll be able to have a bath again Alan! Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: The Donnelly Days Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/fAQstgyVze0
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder, tenet, mc07fly, trout, Silver Invicta
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really good clip featuring the fabled' Earl of Monkton' in action with his 'Staff of Moses' that really deserves to take its place among the clips in the first post, JP! I note that if you let the clip roll on there is another 'Dorset Days and Dorset Ways' episode too! Cool

Did you capture it with a Go Pro or did you use something more professional? My guess is the latter. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bristol Water are now recruiting seasonal Rangers so if you are interested here's your chance ... Laughing

https://bristolwater.current-vacancies.com/Jobs/Advert/1125808?cid=1705&rsid=0&js=0&LinkType=1&FromSearch=False

However I was rather surprised to see this in the job description ... ' Ideally, although not essential (my emphasis) , you’ll also share a passion for the range of fishing that we offer our customers; and enjoy all aspects of rearing fish on our fish farm'.

Personally I think that should be an essential requirement! The last thing we need in the current circumstances are Rangers who don't share their customers passion for angling. Neutral

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

Last edited by Allrounder on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: mc07fly, arkle, trout, blondie, csfcodhunter, lakefisher
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Camcorder Reply with quote

One of my Panasonic run & gun cameras.Probably the SD700 which I have had for some time.Planning to do a lot more fishing footage this year.

Best. JP
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: BWF Job Advertisement copy & BRFFA membership Reply with quote

Allrounder,

# Suspect that BWF may have been stymied by their Corporate HR Department who would have placed and/or at least signed off any ad.
Of course there are usually ways around such PC restrictions but this is probably not worth a fight in the current environment.

# I signed up for BRFFA 2018 membership as growth in membership numbers may also be a small step forward to demonstrating anglers determined support; and I see at least one other Forumite has done the same!

# I am still hoping for some new initiatives on ticket price structures even on a trial basis. I am sure there are major opportunities here.
The angling press is also clearly monitoring this and any BWF press release on new initiatives would almost certainly be picked up and given some "free publicity".

Best,
McFly
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Pike tickets for 2018 went on sale online via Ticketsource at 9.00 this morning and according to one screenshot posted on facebook, they had to temporarily limit the number of tickets being processed at the same time due to the volume of applications. In one case, an unlucky customer had 1149 people in front of them in the queue. Shock

Not surprisingly the entire ticket allocation was sold within 45 minutes! Shock

Overall it seems the system worked well although there were a few glitches which left some frustrated and ticketless. However I've not heard anyone asking to bring back the old telephone booking system which sometimes meant spending the whole weekend trying to get through! Laughing

So well done BW for taking the risk and improving customer service. Perhaps it wont be too long before online booking can become an option for all day ticket sales? Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ticket agencies for getting (obviously) tickets to events/gigs etc. However there are very often "hidden charges" to both the supplier of tickets, as well as - though not always the ticket buyer.

They do help many venues get away with not having their own box office + staff/admin etc. So would this mean redundancies on the ticket sales service down the line ?

Also, they may not be able to cope with sudden changes in weather situation properly, nor answer typical "angler type" questions we've all been known to ask at some stage or other.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkle wrote:
I use ticket agencies for getting (obviously) tickets to events/gigs etc. However there are very often "hidden charges" to both the supplier of tickets, as well as - though not always the ticket buyer.

They do help many venues get away with not having their own box office + staff/admin etc. So would this mean redundancies on the ticket sales service down the line ?

Also, they may not be able to cope with sudden changes in weather situation properly, nor answer typical "angler type" questions we've all been known to ask at some stage or other.

All fair points John and I realise that the online system was introduced to address a very specific issue of massive demand and limited availability for pike fishing which certainly isn't the case when it comes to trout fishing at the moment! However as systems develop further and become more robust there would be several advantages.

The obvious one to me would be booking boats outside normal office hours, especially half day morning boats. A the moment you are only allowed to book half day boats the day before at the discretion of staff. Sometimes the decision whether to fish the next morning on a half day boat can't be finalised until after the office has closed and while that isn't a huge issue for me personally, living only 30 minutes away from Chew, it could be for others. With a bit of luck I could phone in the morning at 8am and still be on the water at 9am but if I lived further away it would almost certainly mean a lost sale. Sad

Alternatively with an online system you could check availability the evening before, buy your boat online (assuming there was one available) and turn up at 8am the next morning knowing your boat booking was secure. It would also be easy to see which days were heavily booked (match practice etc) which some may wish to avoid.

Would this mean lost jobs? Hopefully not, as there would still need to be someone to check tickets onto the boats etc but it would reduce the early morning queue in the Lodge. If any labour was freed up, they could be redeployed to get the boats ready earlier so that more can go out as close as possible to 8am, all helping to improve customer service. Smile

Now I admit this sounds too easy and at the moment it probably is. Other fisheries like Lechlade have attempted online booking in the past and I think it was also looked at in Tony Donnelly's time too but wasn't taken any further. However I believe this is something thats time has come and is well worth serious investigation in future as online systems provided by 3rd parties become more reliable and cost effective. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

Liked by: csfcodhunter
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope the trout fishing at Chew improves to the extent that on line booking makes sense. As a mid week fisher I cannot recall a single day during the past 10 years or so (outwith comps) when all boats have been booked.

I would imagine serious words will be exchanged with the ticket agency - Glastonbury sells 100,000 in less than 1 hour with minimal disruption.
Liked by: blondie, csfcodhunter, Allrounder
csfcodhunter
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD pushed hard for online booking, and was robustly told NO by BW. Not sure why?

But then they complained about lack of fishing returns from trout anglers. Well enough said there!
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder, lakefisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: