Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Farmoor 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Farmoor 2017 Reply with quote

My first trip to Farmoor on 16/02 a month earlier than 2016.
The water levels are about mid level and the clarity is good and there seems to be some new boats tied up to the dock.

I motored out on to No2 at around 8.45 and there was already a boat with one of the more successful locals back drifting I was followed by another boat which commenced back drifting. I can take a hint so put on a medium sink line two lures and set about back drifting.
To cut a long story short I tried fast sink lines, lures, bobbies even a floating line and nymphs as I could see a buzzer hatch but it all proved fruitless Sad
I knew on my return to the dock the other two boats would have caught fish and this proved to be the case.

Sinking lines back drifting is a whole new game for me, i could hear Wylye saying" feed out more line until you find the feeding depth" which I did, I guess I did not find the fish.

The local bank anglers seemed to be struggling and most packed up by mid day.

With the weather warming and the buzzers starting to hatch its going to get better.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard luck Peter - Not sure I would enjoy back drifting, would probably anchor up around the margins with a fast sink shooting head (I think I have one unless I strung the runner beans with it Smile ) but good to get out no doubt.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid to say I tried that as well, it felt like I would catch with a couple of boobies on a fast sink crept along the bottom but the trout had other ideas.
I have around five sinking lines in my collection two intermediates, a slow sink, medium sink and fast sink.
No doubt I should have all sorts of Di lines for every occasion, Mr Local who catches a lot of fish said he was on a Di8.
I am looking forward too the floating line and nymphs on 1 & 2, I am also thinking about getting a season ticket 475 for a mid week and a 100 fish,600 seven days and 120 fish.

Peter
Liked by: tenet
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard luck Peter. When you go through your full repertoire and it still doesn't happen then you just have to put it down to experience. Sad

I'm sure things will improve as the water warms up. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm out with the club on Sunday for our annual back-scuttling event. The weather looks good and the fishing seems to have been quite good as well. Time will tell!
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Local was concentrating his efforts at the tower in front of the boat dock with drifts running past it towards the docks. I could see what looked like a fish finder in use as well.
If you fancy sharing a boat and giving me a master class i would be a happy boy ( and pay for the boat) Very Happy
P
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

I make no claims about being an expert at this aspect of trout fishing, but I am sure that depth is the key. This time of year a fast sink line is a real asset. I use a DI7, and have a DI5 and a DI3, all in the 40+ format. One of the club members uses a DI8, though I don't see his catches being any better than any of us using DI7's.

The DI5 doesn't get a lot of use, though the DI3 is a very useful line to have. A few years ago for some reason the DI3 was my number 1 line at FI well into May before the fish moved up in the water and the buzzers took off.

I'd be happy to share a boat. I'll check the diary and chuck a few dates your way.

Regards

Bob
Liked by: Fryfishing
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: sinking lines Reply with quote

There you go.I looked at the post yesterday and felt a bit like ''how to suck eggs'' if I chimed in but totally agree with Bob and a golden opportunity is the result.There is for sure a lot more to fishing sunk lines than some folks get credit for.Go for it Peter and enjoy.Sure you will not regret it.

Best JP
Liked by: Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I fish the more I realise how much more there is to learn.
Any advice or boat sharing always welcome here.
Thanks Bob look forward to getting some dates..
Cheers.
Peter
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The club day today was quite good, but an object lesson was learned by some. When you're on fish, don't b*gger off for an hour's lunch break because they'll be gone when you get back.

I ended up with 10. I tried adrift from marker 3 on the West bank and went just about all the way across. I had 3 on that first drift. I then tried one from about No 4 and picked up another. Then the yachts came out so I moved down towards the east bank and picked up another four there before lunch.

After lunch it was a different story. A LOT of tugs, plucks, taps but only two solid hook-ups.

The wind wasn't really strong enough today, so everyone was getting those annoying taps. Still, a good start to 2017. DI7 line and mostly to black boobies with a bit of flash and a small amount of bright yellow in the dressing.
Liked by: Fryfishing, Allrounder
Appleman
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me a few lads from Bristol took both boats on Farmoor 1 yesterday and had a cracking day afloat.

With a light breeze, we fished out the front all day and averaged 10 a piece. Di7 40+ was the line with two boobies....First one at 4ft from the fly line and another 8ft further on. They were big boobies too, 3 inches long with 7mm eyes!! Fenton Cat on the point and a UV green version, black tail, yellow eyes on the dropper.

The key was to chuck a big line to get the depth and then a slow steady F08 retrieve. On Farmoor, the key part of the cast is usually where there line colour changes from Orange to Black and the head starts to lift off the deck. You can feel the difference in weight through the rod and your retrieve hand....When the head starts to come up, you should expect a take.....A few quick F08's thrown in can induce, a steady 1ft pull will do the same.....If nothing grabs on, retrieve to the 20ft hang marker, pause, quicken up then do the same at the 10ft hang marker.......Best of our group was 13 and best fish went about 6lb ish. All fish in great condition, some of the older ones looked a bit lean, but as always they had plenty of scrap in em!

Cracking fishery.....
Liked by: tenet, blondie, Fryfishing, Allrounder, Bovver
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Tim's report Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Tim.Wonder where the Fenton Cat came from Idea Cool Was planning a trip but looks like left it too late now for a few days.

Best JP
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wylye, I have sent you a PM but I do not think they are sending as they appear to stay in the outbox Question
Ff
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wylye and I meet at Farmoor for the promised masterclass on back drifting for deep trout.
He gave me the low down on the line required length of leader and flies, on this day two boobies (black and white) and on our first drift across we hooked into fish.
It was a great confidence boost to see the method in action and producing fish with each drift, I now need to up date my sinking line and retie some boobies as I was suffering from spin that gave me problems with tangled leaders.
I think we finished the day with fourteen fish maybe more if you take into account long range releasing, most of the fish came to Wylye's end of the boat Very Happy
Its not the most exciting form of fly fishing but it is certainly productive.
Thanks for the Masterclass Wylye.
Cheers
FF
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Peter - notwithstanding it's efficacy I still prefer fishing in front of the boat so will probably wait another couple of weeks before taking a day afloat.

Cheers

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: