The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

U V Resin
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: U V Resin Reply with quote

Ok another question for those that have more knowledge than me on the subject.
Please

So is UV resin just used in fly tying or is it a by product of other industry or craft usesage.
For example, this is on eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clear-Resin-Epoxy-Art-Grade-285g-kit-UV-Stable-Qty-1-includes-free-mixing-tool-/271810227201?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4926ec01

If that link does not work it is a much large containers which is a two part mix of resin that dries clear but is not cured by a UV torch.
It also looks like something similar to the stuff being sold to flytyers is used in the finger nail industry.
I may have a look around Hobbycraft to see what they have.

Looking at YouTube it seems that a small bottle goes a long way so it is probably not worth messing about trying to source it from other places, I guess I am just inquisitive

To date I have not bought any UV resin but I have to admit it looks very handy stuff for building or finishing flies.

Thanks in advance
Ff
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this which sheds some light on it ( no pun intended)
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-activated_resin

Thanks
Ff
BlankDay
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a product called 'Bug Off'. It's a UV resin and very good at that. I've just received a pair - Bug Off and Bug Off light from E-Bay. You should have a look for it, but it is nowhere as expensive as Bug Bond.

The light I use to set the resin is also from E-Bay. A purple UV pointer light is the fellah you want. One bottle of the resin plus one light shouldn't set you back more than twenty earth pounds and they will last you for ages.

I mostly use the stuff for buzzers and salmon flies.

p.s. I have also used it for repairing small holes in waders, have used it to seal off a stair bannister at each end, and pretty much anything else that needs sealing like stupid metal flask cups that let in water when they are washed.
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most other products which flytyer's use are simply taken from other industries & often re-packaged to suit the market. The largest selling one, is a by-product of the dental industry, as Mr. Edwards wife is a dentist. Diamondhard, is the only u.v. product that's specifically made & reformulated for the fly dressing industry.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have ordered some UV resin and a torch so it will be fun to play with.

I have been tying up wire buzzers for various friends of mine. I cover the wire with super glue and then to darken the wire with a coat of permanent marker. But I got the sequence wrong and did the marker pen and the super glue on top; it makes the ink run and then produces a wonderful shiny effect.

When the UV arrives I will no doubt be using that on these wire buzzers.

I will post some pictures later.

FF
drsixty7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ffs I thought I'd got over my product search obsessions then this thread pops up and I'm back in rehab! Here's some cheap, cheap options that might well do the job.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151491333663
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=290914256700
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261455288732
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261699375621
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have to wait a while, or more from the Chinese items to arrive clear customs etc & with the resins, they are just standard industrial products which are designed & manufactured for other purposes & not specifically for fly tying.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
drsixty7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken a punt on these so I'll let you know how I get on...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=290914256700

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151491333663
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what you end up with, I am sure we are paying top price for the small bottles of resin.
Not sure if it goes off if bought in bulk.
FF
drsixty7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
Let us know what you end up with, I am sure we are paying top price for the small bottles of resin.
Not sure if it goes off if bought in bulk.
FF

If it's good I'll be shouting it from the hilltops! If on the other hand it's shit I'll keep my mouth shut!
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the original brown glass bottles of Diamondhard, that is 8+ years old & it's still as good as new. Clear bottles are really asking for trouble as they allow u.v through, you get what you pay for - having said that, it's not as expensive as the market leader who spends a fortune on advertising & promotional trips abroad etc.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It arrived in the post
I quickly tied a couple of buzzers and gave it a go, I am not over impressed.
It is a thick resin and it seems to remain tacky even after a long spell under the torch.
I guess it could be the quality of the resin. Should I buy a branded thin resin?
Comments please
Ff
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well "there ya go"... yes, of course you should & you are advised to stay well away from other "BigBrand" ones that are also tacky.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you recommend a particular barand Arkle?
Ff
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have (unpaid) connections with Deercreek, so I'm not unbiased, their range is by far the best out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: