Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Halliford Mere Lakes (recent Performance)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll come along if I can

Roger
drsixty7
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flybysage wrote:
I'd be up for that Mick!
Lets get a few of us together. Kev, t'other Mick, Steve, Tim and perhaps Troutstalker.

Gerry, please keep us informed of catch reports and news. It will certainly generate interest for you as 'might' a Facebook page.

It'll have to be a November date for me I'm afraid unless a cheeky midweek opportunity presents itself.
Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Halliford Mere this morning. Joined by Dr69 Little Mick. It pissed down all day and got thouroughly drenched. Mick had four and so did I. Fish were very high up in the water and we both caught on cats whiskers green and white with a gold head. Stripped fast was the order of the day. Found the new chap to be very welcoming. He Came round while we were fishing and had put the fire on in tthe cabin to dry us out and offered coffee and tea. Finnished at lunch finding out that my waterproof trousers were not exactly waterproof and looked like I had pissed my pants. There were loads of fish moving around and saw many a dorsal fin and swirl all around me opposite the car park. Happy days been fishing after what seems like a life time. Sure I poached one off Mick Revell even though he was'nt there. Flybysage cried off due to too much rain, poor poor excuse Nige. I also saw a large stock of black bin liners so there was no excuse Smile
drsixty7
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for both Kevin's all weather ruggedness and the pleasant vibe about the place provided by new guv'nor Gerry. Having re-stocked lake one to the level that we now have a fighting chance of catching and after pruning back the trees to give us a better chance of getting a line out its an all round great place to spend an awful Sunday morning. Can't wait for the other lakes to be fish able too then we'll have a proper decent venue on our doorstep again.

Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yer that lousy looking drenched fisherman on the other side is me
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you only wore shorts Kev? You disappoint me!

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
drsixty7
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He went for a, ahem, sauna afterwards too!!
GerryC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was nice to see you guys on a day that would have put most people off.
I hope you enjoyed your morning, and I will try to book some sunshine for your next visit Smile
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
I thought you only wore shorts Kev? You disappoint me!

Pervert! Twisted Evil

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
Flybysage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a morning session at the Mere.

First time there for a long time and first time of meeting the new fishery manager Gerry.

First impression, well Gerry has done an awful lot of work of improving the look of the fishery and has certainly stocked it very well. Gerry has been concentrating mainly on Lake One but he did say that he would be stocking the other lakes again soon.
When we arrived, there were fishing topping almost everywhere and that didn't stop for the duration of our visit! I mainly fished on the surface with a natural coloured hopper which I had 2 fish on and lost two. Plenty of rises and turn away's at the last second to it too which added to the fun!
As we were leaving, we spoke to one of the regular season ticket holders who was enjoying his lunch time pint of beer and he told us that he was up to 21 fish!

Worth a visit now and I will come back soon.

On a separate note, I had a new SKB Campbell Baird Line fitted on an SKB Redback reel which had its first outing today. Lovely line, lovely reel! Money well spent if you are planning on replacing your lines!!

Cheers!
drsixty7
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Nigel, wish I could have joined you, I'm itching to try out my new SKB stuff too.
TheCowboy
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: haliford Reply with quote

Had a nice mornings fishing at the mere with Nigel and Kevin .Lake 1 is looking good at the moment loads of fish on the top .Got 2 to the net very fit and healthy fish both of the point on floating line fish 1 took a small cats booby on a slow retrieve .fish 2 came to a blob almost static also missed a take very enjoyable session .Will be back soon Laughing
drsixty7
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I enjoyed an impromptu morning at the Mere. It was a last minute idea so apologies for the lack of invitations! Gerry as ever gave a warm welcome and was on hand throughout the session with hints and tips and also a lift to the far corner of the lake on his golf buggy! The swims on lake one are now fabulously clear and even a numpty like me can now get a line a reasonable distance it especially now I'm using the SKB Hyper Max line. However, as tempting as the conditions were today I just couldn't find the right formula and ended up with one solitary fish caught on my very own 'Arnold J Rimmer Holographic Damsel', so all was not lost. Where I was struggling another angler, Richard was emptying the lake using a very big PTN on a slow retrieve, by the end of the morning he'd had 11 to my 1, bastard! He did try to help me along, explaining all that he was doing but like Gerry said 'some days your style just works'. Still it could be worse I might not have gone at all. Keep up the good work Gerry, the place is a haven once again.
ealing92

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more updates on how Halliford is doing? Am heading there hopefully next Thurs for the 1st time since Brian moved on & any news/tipswould be most appreciated!
drsixty7
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ealing92 wrote:
Any more updates on how Halliford is doing? Am heading there hopefully next Thurs for the 1st time since Brian moved on & any news/tipswould be most appreciated!

Give Gerry a ring, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to update you. I've definitely enjoyed my last couple of visits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: