The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Lechlade - 17th January 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Lechlade - 17th January 2014 Reply with quote

Due to the atrocious weather over Christmas Ian (bovver) and I delayed our annual whale hunt Rolling Eyes at Lechlade until today. Very Happy

We arrived at 8am to cloudy day with little wind but no frost either which was a good sign. There weren't many about to start with so we slowly worked our way around the lake to where Ian had his 11lb+ fish last time. The water wasn't crystal clear but it was still pretty good and it was possible to see the odd lump cruising along under the bank which always help your confidence. I started on a midge tip with a single buzzer on a long leader but as the morning progressed whith nothing to show I slowly descended towards the 'dark side' but that didn't help either. Ian had some interest and pulled out of one but the first person to catch was the chap next door who pulled out a lovely Brownie. He asked if I had any scales but was a bit miffed when they read 'only' 10lb 8oz. He told me had caught 10lb fish before and his fish was bigger than that! No pleasing some folk. Rolling Eyes Laughing

As morning turned into afternoon more people arrived and a few fish started coming out but it looked like we were destined to be the 'Blank Brothers' again until I tried an Apps bloodworm on the midge tip. I retrieved it every way I could think of but when I slowed the retrieve down to a crawl the line moved and a flash of silver told me a fish had taken it. At first the fish gave a pretty poor account of itself but once it woke up it led me a merry dance and I ended up landing it in Ian's swim. It weighed 11lb 3 oz and we both wondered how much better it might have fought if it had a proper tail. Ian has the pics. Still, the aim of today was to catch a big fish or two to replenish the freezer so I was more than pleased to catch it. Very Happy

That was possibly the last fish caught on the lake today and we noted that people had drifted away with just the odd fish or two long before we finally had enough at around 4am. With only one pull for one fish it was the toughest day I've had at Lechlade but Ian's good company more than made up for it. My only regret is that I forgot to shout 'Thar she blows' when my fish broke surface. Laughing

One thing to note is that there are no knifes available in the gutting shed due to an unspecified 'incident' but they will sell you a filleting knife if you want to gut your fish. I declined the offer but it is worth remembering to take a knife if you are planning a trip of your own. Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Alan,

Sounds like its still tough going but at least you managed to bag one. Smile

Of the few fish I saw last time I noticed quite a few with stunted tails, apart from a big brownie which had a snow shovel!

ATB
Roger
Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a tough day for me and I tried every which way I could but with no success.... apart from not setting the hook in the one take I got was frustrating but thats fishing. Well done for catching though Alan. His fish fought quite well despite being tail less.
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish Alan.....Congrats!
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

I think most of fish that came out were doubles and we watched one guy catch a rainbow from the opposite bank that looked bigger than the rest. He was certainly very pleased with it and estimated it to be around 15lb. Smile

It was a shame that most of the fish I saw had less than perfect tails but as long as they taste as good to eat as usual, I won't complain. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention about tail quality Alan. The last couple of times I've been the tails have been a bit ragged compared to the fin perfect specimens I used to catch. Maybe I'm just catching shoddy fish these days....

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: