The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

good fly fishing knots

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Salt Water Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cacoolee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: good fly fishing knots Reply with quote

What are good fly fishing knots for tying flies? I am new to fly fishing and when i tie a fly to the line, they always come off after about 10 flicks. I've used the clinch and the duncan knot. I'm also using 4 pound test leader line. Please give me some good knots that won't get undone.

Last edited by cacoolee on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: good fly fishing knots Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, cacoolee. Very Happy

The knots you are using should be fine and this site with animated links will take you through each stage to make sure you are tying them correctly ...

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

If you are fishing in the salt then I would recommend that you increase your leader strength to at least 10lbs. I personally use 15lbs for my saltwater fly fishing. Smile

This link posted by one of the forums regular contributors 'tenet' is also very good ...

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/Videos/All-Coarse-Videos/Videos-Search-Results/Techniques/How-to-tie-the-Figure-of-8-loop-knot/

Hope this helps

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from Alan.

Don't be offended but I would question if they always come off after 10 false casts or so, you may want to check your casting technique. You don't get a 'whip crack' noise do you as the line turns over (like the sound track from an Annie Oakley film)?

Poor casting will test any knot.

Mark
Hengemaster
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your leader is way to weak. Which if you are trying to cast something like a clouser would explain why it's breaking.

8lb minimum and no reason not to fish 10-12lb
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Salt Water Fly Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: