The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

What are these?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drsixty7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: What are these? Reply with quote

A friend if mine gave me a Sporting Almanack from 1909, a previous owner had cleverly turned this little book into a wallet for flies, among which are these little chaps, two are still on the original backing card and never used, a third has been used at some point. The metal is a little tarnished so probably not safe to use. Also inside are some old flies, dunno what they are but they're beautiful things, again the hooks have rusted and they've been flattened by the pages!! A nice piece of fishing curiosity.

hellbound
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think they are fly spoons . antique lure dealers have them from time o time on there sites worth a look for more info.

just been looking ebay has new ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fly-Spoons-Silver-Pack-Qty-2-1-2-or-1-/290805010708?lgeo=1&clk_rvr_id=499408342289&vectorid=229508

WK they maybe handy for you with the single hooks for perch and very small size ..

There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
drsixty7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've fired an email off to a guy in USA, not that I'm looking to sell
fisherman
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly Spoons. I used to use them to many years ago to think about on the Wye in Hereford for the Shad. Very Happy

Dave
whynot
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flicker Spoons. Banned almost everywhere but you can still buy them.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynot wrote:
Flicker Spoons. Banned almost everywhere but you can still buy them.

They don't look that much different compared to the regular sized spoons I use with a spinning rod, just smaller, less colourful and with a single hook instead of a treble. Admittedly the barbs look like they'd rip a horse's head off but they can be pinched down or the hook replaced so I can't see what else would make them illegal. Are you referring to them being banned on fly only trout waters? Spoons, like other metal lures, such as Ondex, are most definitely not banned for catching coarse species like pike and perch, certainly not in England and even some stocked trout fisheries down here now allow their use.

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
whynot
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not do coarse fishing apart from the odd suicidal perch or pike so I cannot comment there. Some trout clubs state in their rules that "flicker spoons" are banned. Other places use the rule that artificial flies must include fur, feather or thread. And don't tell me about threadless buzzers. Try defining a trout fishing fly!
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynot wrote:
I do not do coarse fishing apart from the odd suicidal perch or pike so I cannot comment there. Some trout clubs state in their rules that "flicker spoons" are banned. Other places use the rule that artificial flies must include fur, feather or thread. And don't tell me about threadless buzzers. Try defining a trout fishing fly!

Ah, I see. A fly-only trout man! Very Happy I find it almost impossible to define a fishing fly in all honesty, and I don't suppose anybody ever could anymore with any justification when you consider the arguments going back hundreds of years and the development of patterns as a consequence. That's why I like to regard fishing as just two categories, lure or bait. One imitates prey to attempt to fool a fish (this includes any type of flies) while the other is actually a food item. Delivery methods can vary but they mean nothing to the fish! Cool For instance I can throw a bead headed damsel with my lightest spinning rod (as I could those flicker spoons shown by the OP) whilst some of the lighter small jelly lures I can cast with a 10# fly rod fairly easily. The boundaries are blurred and getting more blurred and I think that's a good thing. Deliberately targeting pike using large bait-fish imitation "flies" (we all know they're not flies Wink but the mechanics remain the same) is one of the largest growth areas in angling as is SWFF for bass, pollack and other species in UK waters.

Give it a go. Why not? Cool

whynot
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not a fly only man. Docken grub, wasp grub, gadger, worm, stick bait - I can and do use them all

A brown trout man - certainly. A great wee burn 200 yards away, Another three within 3/4 miles. More wild fishing than you can shake a big stick at within an hour and a half's travel.

A salmon man - now and then. Plenty of salmon fishing in 30 mile radius from home.

Winter grayling - no problems.

Maybe when I've used all of that up and have learned all there is about trout and salmon fishing, maybe then I'll try coarse fishing. But actually there's not much of that in Scotland. Something to do with distribution of species following the last ice age.

It's better than heaven up here!
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynot wrote:
Definitely not a fly only man. Docken grub, wasp grub, gadger, worm, stick bait - I can and do use them all

A brown trout man - certainly. A great wee burn 200 yards away, Another three within 3/4 miles. More wild fishing than you can shake a big stick at within an hour and a half's travel.

A salmon man - now and then. Plenty of salmon fishing in 30 mile radius from home.

Maybe when I've used all of that up and have learned all there is about trout and salmon fishing, maybe then I'll try coarse fishing. But actually there's not much of that in Scotland. Something to do with distribution of species following the last ice age.

It's bloody cold I'll give you that WN!! Very Happy Lovely scenery though.

Seriously, one of our sponsored anglers up your way gets tremendous results going after pike on the fly. Here's a picture of one caught north of the border.

fredaevans
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
whynot wrote:

It's bloody cold I'll give you that WN!! Very Happy Lovely scenery though.

Seriously, one of our sponsored anglers up your way gets tremendous results going after pike on the fly. Here's a picture of one caught north of the border.

Yikes! That fish ate what ever it wanted! Shock
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: