The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

uv Resin Buzzer

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: uv Resin Buzzer Reply with quote

Really pleased with the UV resin I bought - still messing about but this one did the business at Chew this week.

Also resized the picture on my camera from 10Mp to 3Mp in order to use the direct upload facility rather than going through photobucket - seems to come out ok.

Cheers

Doug
g.atthenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried same buzzer with ordinary varnish?
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect. Like that.
Very Happy

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g.atthenet wrote:
Have you tried same buzzer with ordinary varnish?

I bought the uv as I haven't the patience to frig about with multiple coats of varnish - do you think it would be better.

Cheers
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found UV resin is quicker and easier although probably not cheaper! Laughing

I understand the 'light' versions are best for buzzers although I have found the standard UV resin OK if applied thinly.

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Fisher3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Bug Bond (original) for 2 years and I find buzzers are very much more durable than the old nail varnish method and it's a lot easier to apply, you can take multiple fish on a single fly with no problem. It's also very quick. I also like the 'depth' of the finish to me it just adds that certain something and the slightly softer feel I think also helps hookups, takes are very positive.

All in all I recommend this stuff, it opens a whole world of possibilities for buzzers and other flies.
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Deer Creek resin and torch and certainly concur with your thoughts Fisher3.
Fisher3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 6 Rainbows on one of the Bev Perkins patterns, a holly No2 out of Elinor on Friday, a really deadly buzzer pattern. The fly is still fit to catch a few more yet. The dressing for this Buzzer has been in Fly Fishing and Fly tying recently in one of the step by steps.

I have used this fly for some time, quite fiddly to tie, but the durability is much improved by coating the fly in bug bond rather than the original 'Hard as Nails' in my opinion. Bug Bond or any other resin has quite an expensive entry cost but once you have the curing torch it is quite inexpensive to use, I still have the original bottle I bought over 2 years ago, you don't waste any as it doe not go off in the bottle like superglue and Epoxy
flytier07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to mess about with epoxy-time consuming, messy and very unsatisfactory. Was reluctant to pay the money bugbond want for their kit till I found an alternative for nearly Half the price which works as well if not better. If I want to thin it I place the bottle in a bowl of hot water. What a difference, but a word of warning if you wish to use it on fly heads put a few coats of sally hansens or varnish on first as it won,t sink into thread so well, but it does make a good sealant. It Is Brilliant for attaching eyes and so forth and forming baitfish imitations. If you,re interested PM me and I can pass a link to you which will save you £16 compared to bug-bond!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: