The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Roy's Mint Mays
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Roy's Mint Mays Reply with quote

Asked Roy Christie to tie some Danicas for me and here is a pic of a a few upside down jobbies he sent.

Classy stuff.

Smile
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the mint flavoured ones fish better than those that smell of fruit salad or blackjacks? Smile

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good

Hadn;t thought of that
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Roy has tied them the wrong way around Very Happy
nath_bailiff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting concept, with the hook upside down, seen that being used a few times lately in the fly tying groups i attend.
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about this a bit more and will have to ask Roy about it when I meet him.
With the hook being inverses would it not be prone especially on running water to invert it self so that the hook bend acts as a keel.
nath_bailiff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invicta wrote:
I have thought about this a bit more and will have to ask Roy about it when I meet him.
With the hook being inverses would it not be prone especially on running water to invert it self so that the hook bend acts as a keel.

Good point, will they only sit in the film correctly on a stillwater?
Any amount of ripple or flow could possibly over turn the fly?
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably cost me a pint but Roy wrote a great post on Sexy Loops about USD's and within that post commented...

Excellent combinations can be obtained, even mixing for example a sunburst grizzly dyed cock with a well-defined rusty blue dun hen hackle - which makes a very effective platform for the Yellow May Dun. Play with hackle mixtures; some wonderful colour mixes can be had. Entertain your quarry!

Properly and slimly dressed If you make a mess of it the first few times, you will have some excellent cripple patterns!

Smile
Roy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Easy Peasy USD Danica Reply with quote

nath_bailiff wrote:
Invicta wrote:

Good point, will they only sit in the film correctly on a stillwater?
Any amount of ripple or flow could possibly over turn the fly?

The centre of gravity is under the thorax and when it lands on the surface, it is held there by surface tension
It corrects itself in two inches to land correctly.
The design forces the fly to face the wind so it does not blow over in the wind.
The wing is added for proflie, keep it slim. The wingless version fishes in exactly the same mode
I fish it from #10 to #24, wingless below #18

I developed the system of drawing the hackle over my thumb to curl up the 'toes' of the fly so there are no hackle points in the water, thus it is an excellent fly for roll casting up a wee brook as it minimises false casting, besides giving a desirable profile in any other environment.

Easy Peasy USD first published in the old FAOL website a decade ago

I make no distinction between stillwaters and flowing streams as there can be fast currents and flat patches in either, all water is constantly moving
Fish the microcosm,

Any queries, fire away
Roy
Roy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Hackle wrote:
Probably cost me a pint but Roy wrote a great post on Sexy Loops about USD's and within that post commented...

Excellent combinations can be obtained, even mixing for example a sunburst grizzly dyed cock with a well-defined rusty blue dun hen hackle - which makes a very effective platform for the Yellow May Dun. Play with hackle mixtures; some wonderful colour mixes can be had. Entertain your quarry!

Properly and slimly dressed If you make a mess of it the first few times, you will have some excellent cripple patterns!

Smile

There's me with all that great advice

Full of it
Smile
Yep, that was an amazing Yellow May recipe
Cheers, Chris

Roy
Roy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: clubs Reply with quote

Is there a 3post club?
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: clubs Reply with quote

Roy wrote:
Is there a 3post club?

Yes Roy. A CFF milestone indeed! Very Happy

Nice to have you along! Cool

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Roy, great to see you here. Hope you & Jules are both okay.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation Roy I will buy you a pint when I see you Very Happy
I understood the reverse pattern theory but was mystified by the upside down patterns for a dry fly.
g.atthenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fellow N.Ireland lad Wink....i spent many an hour chucking things like this up in the air in me kitchen,much to the amusement of my wife and kids Very Happy

Works well tied on dry fly hooks as the eye becomes down turned Wink....just wondering what river Roy grew up beside here in N.Ireland ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: