The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Solent 22/08/11

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Sea Fishing Catch Reports - Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Officer Clipboard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Solent 22/08/11 Reply with quote

Hi all,

My mate Stefan took me out on his boat yesterday.
We started of at low water drifting along the sandbanks of the exit of Langstone Habour, fish were showing on the sounder but no joy. We had a go feathering and I tried the fly rod. Whilst we were there, there were two guys fishing using kayaks but not fly fishing. I would like to give that a go sometime but only if it was calm!

Conditions were calm to start off but it got fairly rough later on.

We motored out about 3 miles off shore and anchored up. We set up 2 rods each. I had a heavy rod with two hooks (4/0's I think) and baited it up with a whole squid. The other rod was set up up for small black bream. I actually used my coarse fishing heavy feeder rod! I was a bit too light for it but you could really feel every knock and peck the as the bream attacked the bait. As for bait on this rod, I alternated with small strips of mackerel, squid and whole sand-eels on a 1/0 hook. Stefan set up two similar rods except his lighter rod for the small fish was much heavier than mine! We also had a rod with mackerel feathers set up which we left over the side.

We had bites all day long and to the boat, we had at least 15 dogfish, 6 Smooth-hounds, 4 Thorn-back rays, 6 small black bream and plenty of Mackerel, the ordinary one and also Horse Mackerel (often called Shad).

We then moved back inside Langstone Harbour. Because of the combination of wind, tide and waves, we could have had waves breaking over the back of the boat, not nice! Anyway, once inside, it was calmer and we had a bash fishing for an unusual species, Triggerfish. I used my light rod again and baited it up with a strip of mackerel on a 1/0 hook. After about an half an hour of numerous taps and knocks, I had a fantastic bite which I hit and this fish tore off. It took line from my reel and the rod was bent double. Unfortunately, after about 5 mins of a terrific battle, it bit through my line and it was lost. Gutted. In hind sight, I should have used a stiffer rod and wire trace. Next time.
A little while later, Stefan had a similar take and he managed to get his and this is the result:

All in all, a very good day out. All fish, apart from the good sized mackerel were released.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Sea Fishing Catch Reports - Members All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: