The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Montanajoe's Ramblings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some bad luck with keys before Iain. I found mine under a bivvy groundsheet having telephoned Mrs. Whistlekiller about bringing the spare set down at midnight one night at the last Thornton Social. That went down a storm I can tell you.............

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ogston 21 May Reply with quote

montanajoe wrote:
Went out for last few hours.
Arrived at 6.30pm with the wind beating down on where I wanted to fish on A Bank.
I gave it a few casts in case a few brave fish were working the edges of the muddy water.
A quick switch to the Sailing club where it was relatively sheltered but still had a fair chop.
First few casts had a couple of fish on the cossack, but they both threw the hook after 30 seconds or so.
Kept moving until one daft one stayed on then another, both on the same fly.
Moved round to the jetty where I expected to see a few fish. Nothing much so moved back to where I started. Had 1 to a Kate Mclaren, 2 to the Montana and another to the cossack, plus a couple of perch.
The wind showed no signs of dying down so moved round to D Bank for the last 1/2 hour.
Well there were fish here cruising about 10 yards out and they were interested. It was now pretty dark and I picked up another 6 nice rainbows up to 2 lbs.
Eventually packed in and made my way back to the car. When I got there I couldn't find my key. It must have slipped into my waterproof trousers when I got my mobile out to answer the many texts from Mrs MJ.
What to do, pitch dark in the middle of nowhere. I could walk home in about 1 1/2 hrs. but I called up the daughter who managed to blag her boyfriend to pick me up at 11.00 on Saturday night.
They arrived with the spare key which didn't work. (I'm waiting on a new keycard from Renault which set me back £150).

All I could do was get up early next morning, cycle over and hope and pray I could find the key.

Next morning I borrowed the lad's bike (not been on one for years) and set off with renewed hope.
Being no Chris Hoy and living in the peak district there are loads of hills and I ended up pushing the bike up half the hills but gong down was ace.
Arrived knackered and with legs like jelly. Set off retracing my steps from last night looking for a needle in a haystack.
It looks different in daylight. There were loads of fish moving as well but I had covered all the available bank so it was a long search.
By sheer luck I found it where I had packed up last knockings and it had obviously slipped out of my pocket with the mobile.

Thank God for that. Was I relieved or what.

I didn't have to cycle back, fork out another £150 or call out the RAC.

Iain

Sounds like you & I need to have a talk MJ re our habit in common of losing things .... came home a week or so ago to find was missing
a bank envelop from my back pocket containing about $500. Rang the store I had been to & last remember having it but they assured
me it had not been found or if it had was not handed in.

That rather sick feeling followed when you think of all the things you could have brought with the money despite trying to convince
yourself no use crying over spilt milk. After the store the only other place had been was a nearby bakery to buy a couple of pies for
lunch & where I first discovered it was missing.

Quite by chance had taken a wrong turn into the bakery & had parked away from the designated carpark then walked thru some bushes
to the bakery that was close by. On returning to the car in heavy rain looked quickly around the car & under the seats etc. to no avail.

Was fairly convinced that it had been lost at the store but when they advised it had not been handed in opted to quickly go back to
where I had parked at the bakery for a better look despite the fact our travel broker had just arrived to discuss bookings to the UK etc.

Was not at all hopeful fully expecting it would be a futile exercise .... so was amazed to see a plastic envelop on the ground a little way
on from where I had parked which turned out still contained the cash. A ruck that had not been there before had almost parked over it,
would have been in full view of the driver but they were probably concentrating more on getting out of the rain asap.

Returned home a very happy chappie thinking how fortunate it had been taking the wrong turning to park in an area that sees very little traffic.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ogston 21 May Reply with quote

Bazza wrote:
bank envelop from my back pocket containing about $500.

That's nearly £10 in Sterling isn't it Baz? Twisted Evil
No wonder you went back to look for it! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ogston 21 May Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
Bazza wrote:
bank envelop from my back pocket containing about $500.

That's nearly £10 in Sterling isn't it Baz? Twisted Evil
No wonder you went back to look for it! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

NZ$ against the pound the highest it has been for a long time Rich ... Conversion currently .... divide by 2.05 = 244 pounds approx
almost enough for a nights' stay at a hotel in London, 50 odd stops on the underground or a few pints of beer.

Cannot believe how much prices have escalated since I was last year, mind you was 47 yrs. ago .... however you
guys must earn a fortune to be able to afford the prices being charged there.

Anybody able to recommend any good soup kitchens for when we are there in a few months?

However the real shocker was when we came to book for Barcelona ..... can remember Spain being "cheap as chips" way back
.... but struggled to find anything remotely affordable this time ... so have had to pay their OTT charges. Much the same in Croatia
for some reason yet higher quality hotel in KL is half the price.
th
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just where did you say you lost that key?

Are you sure?

Wink
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice One Chris!!!

Iain
Offshorephysio
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreAt story with the little lad, made me smile. Taking a mate fly fishing for the first time in a few weeks, he's a bit older than wazeef though.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Ogston 29 May Reply with quote

Managed to grab a couple of hours last night so drove off to Ogston paying particular attention to the car keys.

[img][/img]

It was a nice ripple

Started looking for fish and saw the odd one far out, while I was looking a fish took me and got off. But a few cast later another one took which stayed on to the montana.

[img][/img]

A few more casts working down the bank saw a cracking rainbow of over 2 lbs take me again to the montana.

[img][/img]

Look at the full tail on this guy.

More and more fish were by now starting to move. The odd follow and pluck was all that was forthcoming. I was covering fish and not getting the desired results. I noticed that I had a massive tangle and spent the next 15 minutes or so tying on a new cast while fish were moving all round me.
Another chap had been having success on a cat's whisker and he had 2 while I was tangled up.
I tried a blob and had few follows but no takers until I got myself into another tangle and lost another 10 minutes or so. Again with fish all round.
When I got back fishing again I got one and lost another couple on the cossack and was broken on this. Another change. This is where I really notice my failing eyesight as it took me too long to thread the eye of the hook in the failing light.

Another fell to the cossack and montana.

It was now near dark and fish were cruising along just off the bank. I got another couple and lost a good fish which went away with my cossack. I didn't notice at this time and fished away without success. It was only when I wound in did I notice that it was missing. I'd wasted all that time fishing in the dark with two flies.

All in all 7 fish is not bad but it could and should have been better, what with all the tangles and lost flies.

Out with Loopy on Draycote next. Looking forward to that.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Draycote with Loopy 2nd June Reply with quote

We had arranged a day out on Draycote and had high hopes of some great buzzer and dry fly fishing.
We arrived at the water bathed in bright sunshine with hardly a breath of wind to start. Craig in the office advised us to go to Rainbow Corner and they were hard on buzzers. There were also a lot of fish in Toft Shallows.
Taking his advice we motored down to Rainbow Corner where there were already a couple of boats anchored up, but no rods bent.
We had a little drift Loopy fishing buzzers and I had my standard rig of two wets with a blob on the point. No fish were moving and near the end of the drift I had the first fish of the day (on the blob).
As there were no fish moving (and no wind) I decided to try elsewhere so we had a drift over the boils with no luck. There was a slight breeze in Toft so we headed off up there. Loopy had by now changed to a Di6 with 2 blobs and he was soon into a fish (which came off). Again this happened, and again, but this time he was broken off. I was having no luck, so on with the sinking line and 2 blobs. The fish were concentrated in in an area frequented by bank anglers so we couldn't really go too close. I picked a fish up on the blob before Loopy connected with fish which stayed on this time, a lovely rainbow of about 3 1/2 lbs.

[img][/img]
Here it was, turned out to be the best one of the day for us.

There was obviously a few fish in the vicinity as we had follow after follow and loads of knocks each. Loopy again hooked into a nice fish.

[img][/img]

A study in Concentration. This one wasn't getting away.

[img][/img]

Here's the result.

I was fed up of being followed to the boat although it was fun, so I went back to the floater and fished it nice and slow as the fish were not right on top.
Fish came regularly until things calmed down a bit. With an hour or so to go we decided to head back to Rainbow Corner for a change of scenery.
There was a line of anchored boats and we had a drift through them picking up fish. there was a lot of fish in this area and everyone seemed to be having sport.

We anchored up eventually and started to pick up fish when they came around on their circuit. All our fish came to the blobs, no matter what we tried they didn't appear to want anything else.

We called it a day and returned to the lodge where catches of 30 or so fish were being posted. All on buzzers and DB's, figure that one out. We couldn't buy a fish to anything other than the Dark side.

We didn't keep a tally but we had well into double figures and lost or had follows from twice that.

A cracking day out with great company. Beats working any day.

Get yourself down to Draycote, the quality of fishing is excellent and the fish are on steroids. The last fish I caught took me down to the backing and I thought I was into a really big fish. When I eventually got it in it was only 2lbs or so.

Will be heading back later in the season, hopefully with Loopy again. Hopefully we can have a repeat performance.
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonking day MJ and super company as always and a great report.

Diary is in hand. Wink
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you guys had a good day, always nice to be on top of fish - even if they are just following to the boat!

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Draycote is well worth a visit.

It was always good and Ifor and Craig are keeping up the standard or maybe even exceeding it.

No complaints whatsoever apart from the Panda Eyes and sunburn (must remember to put sunblock in the bag from now on.)

Iain
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Ogston 11 June Reply with quote

Cracking eveningís fishing.

Arrived about 8.00pm to be greeted with a nice breeze and some cloud cover but nothing to give warning about what was about to happen.

There were masses of caenis and a few sedge around.

Not too many fish moving at this time. But I covered the odd fish and caught a small brownie on a GRHE. As I worked my way along the bank the fish seemed to switch on and there were fish moving all over. Couldnít garner much interest at this point. I did pick up a few on the Cossack and Captain Scarlet. There were still too many fish that I covered which were not showing interest. You got the feeling that every cast you were covering fish.

Fish came regularly though but still not as you would expect with the surface activity.

[img][/img]

A few fish showing on top.

The fish were cruising quickly and chasing hatching sedge (or so I thought). They ignored the dry fly and static or slow moving stuff.
I became brave and turned to the dark side.
On with a blob and fished it quickly as they were active. First cast a fish followed but didnít take. A few casts later and a fish was on. Not on the blob though. They wanted it fished fast so it was real fun from now on. Loads of action, cast over a fish and they would show some interest. Cracked it a last, they showed no particular preference but the blob was slightly ahead on catch rate.
It was now getting dark and the surface activity slowed but not after some fast and frenetic sport.
I had a double hook up and one fish went away with the blob but I did get a nice fish of around 3lbs on the Cossack.

I persevered with only 2 flies and still caught fish. At about 10.30 I called it a night. Best day so far this season with between 15 and 20 or so fish for the evening.
[img][/img]

Cracking evening. Now you will see why I don't get round to fishing our great rivers at mayfly time. To me there's no competition as I find the stillwaters more of a challenge.

Iain
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Ogston 18 June Reply with quote

A little slow at writing this one up - no photos either.

Decided to have a few hours before collecting the missus from work at 8.30pm.

Arrived at the water about 6.00pm. Not a lot moving initially but the fish were there.
Had one near the gusher on a GRHE and picked up odd fish throughout, but nothing substantial.

Swapped flies to a blob on the point as time wore on and a claret hopper. By 7.30 there was the odd fish moving and they were starting to feed. They were going for the claret hopper and the blob with the majority looking at the blob. They were also starting to chase the flies, ignoring the slow a=or static flies.

By time to go the fish were starting to move increasingly and I could feel an excellent night would have been had with plenty of time left to have an amazing evening. But I had to go or risk a fate worse than death.

Eight nice rainbows returned including a steam train that I lost after it just carried on into the middle of the lake.

Roll on next time.
montanajoe
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Ogston 2 July Reply with quote

After last time out it took me two weeks to get back to grips with these trout.

Arrived at 8.00pm, almost the follow on from last time out if I'd stayed on.
Someone in the book had commented that there were no fish in the water. Ah well, things could have gone off after the good season we've been having.

[img][/img]

What a picture, flat calm, sunny with no breeze or cloud cover. Not ideal but there were loads of fish moving.

As I tackled up the stupid braided loop slipped off the line and without my glasses I wasted a good 20 minutes pfaffing around trying to get a connection. Not the best of starts.

The water was also full of floating gunge and slime so each cast was clagged up.

Things not exactly going to plan. I moved down the lake a bit where the water was a bit cleaner. After covering a few fish without interest a fish took my claret hopper. Another few fish covered and I was just thinking of doing the unthinkable (changing the blob), when the first fish of many decided to give chase and snaffle it from my feet.
By now the fish were just cruising quickly along sipping flies sub surface with their dorsal fin out of the water. This was more like it. Accurate casting was a necessity as the trout's window was very small indeed. The fish also were not moving in any particular direction, often changing direction randomly. Almost every cast you had the possibility of covering a fish. If you put it in front of them they would have a look or a take. This was fun and fish were regularly coming to the blob and the claret hopper with two perch chasing and taking the blob as well.
then the rise forms changed as a sedge hatch came on. The rises were now swirls and the majority fish were now taking the hopper. By now it was dark, so foolishly I decided to change the blob with a sedge-hog. Another mistake, I cut off the blob and then couldn't see to tie on the new fly. Ah the wonders of fluorocarbon and failing eyesight. Eventually I got there, but by now the fish had calmed down a bit. I did however manage to catch another two on the sedge-hog after that.

Packed up and went home after a great evening's sport. I returned about 12 or so.
No fish in the water!!

Maybe I should have made some sarcastic remark in the book but someone else had beaten me to it. He had had 7 rainbows as well.

Iain
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 3 of 29

Jump to: