The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Hugh's Fish Fight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PitsfordPirate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Yoorup's' politicians have treated us with utter contempt for years and will continue to do so whilst they can get away with it.

To think most of them would be speaking fekin German right now if it wasn't for the likes of my Grandad, ungrateful bastards.

The Pirate.
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up to this on Monday.
The thing that gets me is that there are so many people who didn't know about the goings on in the North sea or maybe I am just too critical as where I live am more exposed to it.
Anyone who has read any of my comments in the past will know I am not a lover of salmon farms but until the the scottish government changes its way I guess it wont be going away anytime soon. Sad
There are a hell of a lot less fishing boats now compared to 10+ years ago but the only thing is many of the boats fishing now are huge in comparison to what it used to be like.
I read elsewhere that boats should have a restricted number of days where they can go fishing but im pretty this already is the case.
I dont know all the answers but Im sure I could come up with some better solutions than all this EU crap.
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this "E.U crap" has hidden messages in it ! The words gravy train/sauce boat come to mind.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Wildfisher22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a large slice of hypocrisy about this subject and a lot of people need to think about it properly.

Its all very well Hugh whatever he's called bringing this issue to a wider audience and trying to blame the EU and Salmon Farming but it’s not as easy as that.

Salmon farming creates a lot of jobs in parts of my country and jobs that actually pay a decent wage. The argument goes on and on that Salmon farming is responsible for the demise in numbers of wild Salmon and Sea Trout but to this day the verdict is as we say in Scots Law, Not Proven. I have spoken to and asked locals in the North who have worked or do work on Salmon fish farms and they like the employment and the money that the fish farms provide. They certainly never got the same deal from the Lairds and Lords of the Manor in the past. In my opinion the demise of wild Salmon and Sea Trout stocks have come about due to the rape of the Seas. Its not rocket science if we take away the staple food source of any species then you endanger its existence. I don't claim fish farms have had no effect but I do think they have been blamed far too much. The solution I have always had is to move all the fish farms to tanks on land, a common sense solution. This in turn takes almost all potential blame away from the fish farms. Then we hit the first problem as the cost comes into the argument, tanks don't build themselves, pumps need to be bought and maintained, fuel is needed to run the pumps, etc. We are as we get told now part of a world wide market and have to be more competitive so adding extra cost does not fit in very well. Competition comes from abroad where they will use their waters to grow the fish cheaper, supermarkets make billions but still demand these fish farms produce cheaper fish and then lets not forget the moaning public if the cost of food rises. China now prosperous and probably the worlds leading economy have a huge population and they happen to like fish. Can we continue to rape the seas for cheap feed to sustain the current levels of fish farming and stop the damage being done to wild stocks? The answer to that is a resounding NO. The Norwegians dabbled with some form of veggie protein to make fish feed from but the Japanese and other buyers said the fish flesh tasted like cucumber so the idea was dropped. Fish farming is here to stay make no mistake about it and lots of other species of fish are now being farmed to but it has got to change dramatically from its current setup.

If I remember rightly it was Tony Bliar and Westminster who agreed to these quotas at the same time when they basically screwed the Scottish Fishing Fleet. It’s all too easy to solely blame the EU when the people in charge at Westminster have turned a blind eye to what has been going on. The guy on the program who was supposedly in charge of Fishery Policy and claimed to be sickened by the discarded fish couldn’t tell the difference between 7 different types of fish that said a lot about him. Is there not even a basic test about fish and fishing to get such a job?

How many people on this forum fish for Rainbow Trout? How many of the people on this forum chap all their Rainbow Trout they catch?

How many Rainbow Trout do they put into places like Rutland for instance? 30,000 at one go? How many Rainbow Trout go into all the commercial fisheries combined in a week or year?

All of these Rainbow Trout are of course farm reared fish (some people think they grow on trees) and are also fed on the same pellets as the farmed Salmon. 3kgs of wild fish from the Sea to produce 1kg of Rainbow Trout.

This issue goes a lot deeper than just blaming the EU or Salmon Farming but it’s an issue that needs to be seriously addressed by all.
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildfisher you are quite right that the salmon farming in Scotland does create jobs and is well paid but I have also seen the damage that it does, with barren sea beds in the areas of salmon cages and also sea trout so damaged by sea lice that it would probably be better to take the priest to them.
I cant say much about how rainbows are farmed and can count on one hand the times I have fished for them and have and the few that I managed to catch have all gone back.
Most fish farming uses wild fish for producing feed but the worst offenders must be the bluefin tuna at a ratio of 10:1
The reason I mentioned the EU was more down to if we were not in it we would be able to control our waters better atleast I would like to think that would be the case.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Why is the by catch not simply auctioned off and the proceeds given to charity?

I bet you believe in Santa, the Easter bunny & the tooth fairy as well Chris.
Wildfisher22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invicta wrote:

The reason I mentioned the EU

Hi Invicta the post was not aimed at anyone in particular. As i said this subject goes a lot deeper.
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Jamie and Gordon are getting media flack... Both serving eel in their restaurants, of which stocks are critical, and potential allegations of bluefin tuna in mediterranean restaurants Gordon's involved with.

You'd have thought they'd put their own houses in order before starting the sodding campaign!
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Gordon Ramsay did anyone watch the programme with him about the shark fin now there is a real racket.
I knew it goes on and the last report I heard they were talking of 1 million sharks a year.
I never expected to see all those fins air drying on those building this is one major racket for a drop of soup.
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

Seen it last night, I've worked out in them parts and also China and have seen the fins for sale, together with all other strange things. I for one would not go nosing around dodgy dark staircases, thats risky, unless it was pre planned.

Bill Smile
trout
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevZim wrote:
I see Jamie and Gordon are getting media flack... Both serving eel in their restaurants, of which stocks are critical, and potential allegations of bluefin tuna in mediterranean restaurants Gordon's involved with.

You'd have thought they'd put their own houses in order before starting the sodding campaign!

Thats a disgrace if they are serving eels! Even if they are farmed eels, they stil ongrow the wild juviniles on the farms Neutral
the pimpernel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazza wrote:
Chris wrote:

the easter bunny is real,where do you think all those cream eggs come from Laughing Laughing Laughing
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pimpernel wrote:
Bazza wrote:
Chris wrote:

the easter bunny is real,where do you think all those cream eggs come from Laughing Laughing Laughing

Geez you guys over there know nothing ....

Thought everyone was aware that santa has them left over from xmas so
gives them to the tooth fairy to dispose of to save the kids' teeth, but unknown
to her the Easter bunny knicks them.

Anything else you are confused about & would like explained
the pimpernel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazza wrote:
the pimpernel wrote:
Bazza wrote:
Chris wrote:

Geez you guys over there know nothing ....

Thought everyone was aware that santa has them left over from xmas so
gives them to the tooth fairy to dispose of to save the kids' teeth, but unknown
to her the Easter bunny knicks them.

Anything else you are confused about & would like explained

santa never brings me a creme egg Laughing Laughing Laughing maybe santa's sack is heavy enough with all my new tackle Laughing Laughing Laughing
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
I haven't watched the programmes ... Wink

I have now. Smile

While I have time for HWF's campaign, I've far less for the crocodile tears of the commercial fishermen. To be fair their suggestion of less days at sea with no discards was a welcome nod in the direction of sustainability but I doubt if it would end discards completely. Imagine what would happen if a commercial filled half their boxes with fish that had a low market price then suddenly started to catch more high value fish than they had available boxes for? Rolling Eyes

The bit that said it all for me was when Hugh was following the Bass trawler scooping up Cod bycatch in a landing net before being told by the skipper that the Bass fishing itself was 'bloody awful'. That wouldn't have anything to do with the commercial fishing sector fighting tooth and nail to maintain the current minimum landing size for Bass which means that fish that are too small to breed can be legally landed then? Mad

Good campaign, just a shame that the commercials were portrayed as innocent victims of bureaucracy gone mad when in fact their own failure to fish responsibly was the reason why quotas were needed in the first palce . Sad

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: