The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Bristol Water Reservoirs - 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Chew opening in years. Great weather and willing fish seemed to collide for once.

I found the gate open and Alan already tackling up at ‘the usual place’ – a couple of other cars arrived and excitement levels mounted as we saw a few fish fining just a couple of rod lengths out from the bank. Of course we waited until dead on 7am before we had a first cast Very Happy – but then we got amongst them pretty quickly. I had success on a small lure, black DBs and even a Bibio hopper – not quite classic dry fly tactics, but I’m still claiming it. Very Happy

Stock fish are in great condition and a very good size. Only one was cormorant marked. They have obviously been feeding well and most were stuffed full of daphnia, green buzzer and corixa. Not so many black buzzer in mine, but there were a few.

Good to see Dipper, who popped around later after getting a quick limit at Herons and Toby, who arrived late and was just flinging a very long line when I had to leave.

Phone pics - sorry about the poor quality.

I've got a LOT of pics like this....

Sunny, but they were still biting...
Cats Whiskers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Razz Razz

What a great start to 2011 at Chew - Limit Bag of nice size clean Trout - Not 1 of them marked - All from the bank at North Shore - Floating Line Black DB + Black Buzzer - 5**** Fishing - Lets hope it lasts - I don't mind if it gets a little bit more of a challenge Rolling Eyes

IZAAK WALTON:complete Angler 1653
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thats great news Cool .well done to all Very Happy .looking forward to more reports Wink .cheers.steve Smile
westcountryboy
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It fished its tits off.
I arrived at around 9.30 to see Dave and Alan hammering them out.
Water is down on last years levels and the water was crystal.
Started fishing at around 10am and by 12am had my limit and a few more released.
A nice ripple came up and the fish started slamming the flies.
DB's accounted for most of my fish.
Nice to see the guys as always.

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com The BEST Fly fishing tuition guiding and lessons in Devon

http://funkyflytying.co.uk
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave (Bristol Flyer) is too modest. He had FOUR in the first 10 minutes until he deliberately changed his fly to avoid getting his limit too early. Shock He also spent some time fishing dries ( hoppers count, Dave) and not many people can say they have caught a reservior trout off the top in March. Top angling, mate! Cool

I had my best opening day ever. Great weather, mental fishing and great mates who make it all worthwhile. Here are a few pics ...

Wish you were here? Chew at sunrise .... Very Happy

Dave into a fish first cast before I even managed to get a line out. As you can see he keeps a spare Blob on top of his hat in case of emergencies. Laughing

A rare one of Dave without a bent rod. I didn't happen very often this morning Laughing

Dipper turns up to inform us lesser mortals that he had his limit in 45 mins! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Toby arrives at around 9.30am and takes over Dave's spot. It's business as usual ... Rolling Eyes

MarkS and his mate float by. I think they had their limits on that drift alone Laughing

Dropped by the lodge on the way home to pick up a few bits and pieces and Bob was beaming from ear to ear. Who can blame him? Apparently it has fished well all around the lake although when I spoke to him he wasn't sure how Wick or Walley were fishing.

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW good going guys what size were the fish that came out, any of those 3 IB fish?
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Alan! Especially the one of my 'Christmas hat'. Very Happy

I'm glad that my spot stayed hot for Toby. What a lovely day Very Happy

EDIT: No 3lbers for me, but I heard of a few caught at Herons and North shore. I had two small fish of just over a poound and the rest were very well conditioned fish between 2 and 2.5 lbs. Those ones will hopefully be pushing 5lbs in a few months time Very Happy
C.B
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local news will never be the same again after Points West featured Toby and Alan tonight.
Their fan base is growing all the time Laughing Laughing Laughing

You looked good lads!! Wink

C.B
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple that were over 2.5lbs but none that were 3lb or above.

One thing I noticed was that I had a a couple of dark or 'black' fish in my catch which I haven't had for years. They fought extremely well which surprised me but I released them as they make lousy eating. Sad

I'm certainly not complaining because I'm pleased to see BW stocking diploid (male and female as nature intended) fish which I suspect are the products of their own netting and rearing programme. There has been some speculation that diploid rainbows feed from the surface more readily than triploids although I'm not sure how much proof there is to back this up.

From my point of view it would be a shame to see their own strain of fish completely replaced by nondescript triploids and if that means the odd out of condition fish in March then it is a small price to pay. Smile

Alan

PS I've just had phonecalls from friends saying I was on Points West (local news) tonight who were on the bank filming. I missed it so I'm now trying to remember what i said! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
B.A.S.S.

westcountryboy
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL snap Alan

We must of been more interesting then the other guys.

I forgot to watch it but its back on at 10:30.

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com The BEST Fly fishing tuition guiding and lessons in Devon

http://funkyflytying.co.uk
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see we have 2 new tv stars amongst "the wurzels" Cool .Toby and Alan on the local bbc news tonight Shock Smile catching and talking in front of the cameras.stars both of them Laughing .sorry to miss you guys today Crying or Very sad .All work and no play at the moment Mad .hope to get out soon.well done to all.steve Smile
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you beat me to it Mike Embarassed Smile .cheers.steve Smile
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking day and credit to the Bristol Water fisheries team. Fishing was not tough but was very satisfying after a winter lay off and a lot of speculation.

For reasons unknown I booked a boat for opening day. Never done that, always fished the bank. Being a tight git also found it hard knowing the banks were producing well after catching up with Alan and Dave before going for my fry up.

Fished with a mate from work (also called Dave but not from the southern hemishere!). Knowing fish were now coming to nymphs as some limits were already reported at the lodge by 9am, I left the sinking lines in the car. Started, floater with emergers and floater with buzzers and db's. We caught here, mainly on buzzer. Static or draw and stop. Fish from the reeds, along north shore and round to the dam. Lovely confident takes you just needed to lift into. Nice quality clean stock fish. Fit as butchers dogs. There were fish on top here but it was just stockies milling about rather than taking insect I think. I did not chuck and emerger at these, may be should have.

.Corner of the picnic area looking to the dam,

and back along N.Shore.

After a move at noon we though we would go to Herons. We pulled in by the reeds just past Nunnery stones. Both had fish on in a couple of casts. Again clean quality fish. Confident to the buzzers. We had fish all the way down that bank on one long drift. As Alan says we passed him and Toby sunning themselves and looking every part the TV stars in the making...... Very Happy
Boats were taking fish hard against the causway.

Causway at Herons Green bank.

We went for a pint at the lodge and to stretch the legs. Thought we would try Spring bay after lunch. Conditions there were nice and after a good drift Dave did get a small stock fish. Nothing else here and we thought as we had seen two loan boats on Moreton a lot of the morning we would try there. Good call. We hit more fish here again to buzzer and I now had one to my favorite corixa patern. As it got towards five Dave and I saw a few fish move properly on top. Knowing B'Flyer had one on the gold head bibio hopper Shock I was keen to get one off the top. We both put the emergers on the water. Dave picking one up first to a black bits. Then I got one to an olive CDC loop emerger dropped just on the nose of a rising fish. First on opening day for me. Very happy. Dave rose one or two more but did not connect.

All fish were clean, I think only two all day that had a bit of cormorant damage. A small number of coloured fish but not many. On spooning all fish had daphnia and buzzer in them. Buzzer were the green blood worm type, and mainly black. The black were 18's through 12's. A few fish had hoglice and corixa in them. I think Dave's best fish would hit 3lb. My best 2.08.

We fished buzzer and nymphs all day not one lure so feeling a little smug. Typical Chew set up. 12 to 15 feet of leader and three flies. Then emergers the last hour. Fishing was not hard but an excellent way to bust up the stress of the working week. I C&R'd more fish than you would normally to be honest but all released from barbless hook from the net.

Time for a juice! Cheers,
Mark

Last edited by MarkS on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 pm; edited 5 times in total
dipper
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Horsey had better watch out two new rising fishing celebs have emerged .
Bit of a crazy spell of fishing for me first cast 1 fish second nothing third two fish on switched from usual orange monster to nymphs to slow things down to no avail , last 4 caught on a foam headed hopper subsurface , everyone catching at similar rate of speed .
Great way to start the season think we might have to work a bit harder for our fish over the next few months,
Geoff
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:
... knowing B'Flyer had one on the gold head bibio hopper Shock Mark

I am disappointed in you, Dave. I thought you had your fish on a genuine bibio hopper (minus the gold head) Rolling Eyes

Having said that I can't take the high moral ground. My last 8 fish came to a Peach Blob with .... wait for it! .... chain bead eyes! Shock

Toby was appalled when he saw it! Laughing

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 13 of 80

Jump to: