The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Solent 3/01/11

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Sea Fishing Catch Reports - Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Officer Clipboard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Solent 3/01/11 Reply with quote

Going out on my mates boat from Eastney, near Portsmouth today. Hopefully going for some cod but I think we might struggle!
Report to follow later
Officer Clipboard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And struggle we did!!!

No cod but plenty of whiting. We had out 6 rods, 3 set up for cod with 3 whole squid on and 3 smaller set ups with small pieces of mackerel and/or squid. Before we set out we had a chat with another couple of guys who said the Solent was crammed full of spratts and as a result, the cod were gorging themselves on them and nothing else. This did turn out to be true as some of the whiting we caught had mouths full of spratts and most of the fish we kept had spratts in the stomach. We had a few knocks on the cod set ups but they defiantly weren't cod as they weren't the thumping takes we were hoping for.

Still it was nice to be out on the water even though it so fu@king cold!!!!!!!
ChrisNicholls
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cod have switched off right through the South coast since the sprats have arrived - I had a boat trip planned out of Dover just before Christmas that was cancelled at the last minute due to high winds. I doubt we would have caught many (if any) cod as the sprats had arrived.

The problem is the sprats tend to swim in mid water so the cod never come across your bait as they are chasing the sprats around far above your bait.
Officer Clipboard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisNicholls wrote:
The cod have switched off right through the South coast since the sprats have arrived - I had a boat trip planned out of Dover just before Christmas that was cancelled at the last minute due to high winds. I doubt we would have caught many (if any) cod as the sprats had arrived.

The problem is the sprats tend to swim in mid water so the cod never come across your bait as they are chasing the sprats around far above your bait.

I don't sea fish much at all Chris but is there away of targeting the cod in mid water with a sprat immitation of some sort?
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert Nigel but some of those jelly worm type things on variously weighted jig-heads, jerked up and down, seem to be quite popular judging by what I've read and seen on the goggle box.

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Sea Fishing Catch Reports - Members All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: