Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Frensham Trout Fishery 1/11/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flybysage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Frensham Trout Fishery 1/11/10 Reply with quote

I had the day off today so decided to go fishing. Thought hard about where to go and decided on Frensham. Never fished there before but wanted somewhere with C&R and within about an hours drive. Haliford is out because it's always closed to non members on Mondays and I don't know of any other C&R's near me.

Anyway. I got there for about 10am and luckily my Sat Nav guided me there, no signs to locate the fishery and I only recognised it by the 'Robinwood' sign on the gate. I turned into it and followed a car up to a gate and asked the driver 'is this Frensham?' he replied 'yes, and follow me and don't close the gate'. There is then a 100~150 yard drive to the fishery and then there is the 'Welcome to Frensham' sign! If you are thinking of going and havn't been before, make sure you know where it is first!!
The driver turned out to be the owner, Richard. I paid my money for a days sporting ticket, 28.00 and after a brief chat about how the fishery is fishing, I set up and strolled to the first lake.

For those who don't know Frensham, it is made up of 6 lakes. The biggest 'Robins Lake' is about the size of the larger lake at Vale. The rest are half that size and a couple only has space for 1 swim! It's a very pretty location and very quiet. The water in most of the lakes/ponds is reasonably clear and I would expect it to be clearer, there is a stream which feds all the lakes and after yesterdays rain, this was a little cloudy. The casting can be a challenge in some swims but it's OK in most and especially on Robins lake on the club house side.

I choose to fish the awkward swims on the opposite bank to the club house on Robins lake up against the trees as most of the rises where by the overhanging trees and in amoungst the leaf litter. I put on a dry daddy on my 10'4# Streamflex and a green damsel nymph on my 9'6# Sage. I started with the dry daddy and had a couple of looks followed by me losing one and then I managed to get one in. I moved swims throughout the day and managed a total of 3 rainbow and 2 lost fish, all to the dry daddy. All of the fish were in great condition, nicely coloured and put up a great fight. They weighed between 2.5~3lb.

What I did notice was that there were plenty of fish which seemed to be resting a couple of inches below the surface. Quite often when I was casting, there was a large swirl where my fly line had landed on the water. I also noticed that when the ducks were swimming through. The lake seemed to be stuffed with fish! I should have had more than 3!! Embarassed

All in all, a pleasant day out and I would like to return but only on a day when it is quite. I think it could be quite hard when it is full of anglers. Got a couple of pics to put up later.

Cheers!

Parkinson's UK Fundrising page
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Nigel
thats another to go on the list Laughing
barbus
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How strange in it, i like out of the way fisheries, but didnt like this one. seemed to me like someones back garden, found that the small pools had dying fish in them , there was some leakage into the water of an oily substance, plenty of small browns were about for some fun fishing, and the little river, come weir was a giggle but far to easy, plus due to health reasons ,the wife didnt like it as she couldnt get a signal on the phone Laughing Laughing i believe i did get my tickets worth, but its not where i would go again, its abit like marmite , you love it or hate it. And i didnt love it.Just felt weird to me Embarassed But if enjoyed it thats the point , no point going fishing to be bored by the fishing, got a few fish so aleast you got a smile on yer face Very Happy
PS the mere closed till the 9th nov Wink Gaz
Flybysage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gaz.

I'm not totally convinced by the lakes/ponds there. If I were to live equal distance between Frensham and Haliford, I guess I would split my fishing between the two. At Frensham, I think you would be pretty unlucky not to catch whereas Haliford, it's alot tougher. Frensham is quieter but if it's busy there, once you find a decent swim, I guess you be there for most of the day and not move as most of the other decent swims would be taken. At Haliford, there are plenty of places to fish from. Casting at both is tricky. Another thing which I found odd at Frensham was there wasn't a bin anywhere (or I couldn't find one!) so there was nowhere for spend leaders. I picked up quite alot and took it home with me. I hate seeing that.

Anyway, some pics:

These are veiws of the larger lake, Robins

and this is of a smaller lake and I think it is called Herons. It at the top of the fishery:

Having said all of the above, I would return but only on a quiet day.
Cheers!!

Parkinson's UK Fundrising page

Last edited by Flybysage on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chub1
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel,it looks stunning 8)Top pic reminds me a bit of one of the lakes at Waggoners Wells ,reasonably close by,that used to hold brownies and one of which holds some of the original 'Leny' carp Cool
barbus
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBS

definatley a marmite jobby Laughing i wouldnt say there were that many lakes either, 2 main lakes not that big and the weir, the others are ponds, come puddles and wernt in good condition when i was there? the place is different thats for sure, could be a problem for oxygen levels as the wind cant get down there that easly, when i fished it there was loads of fingerling brown trout, fun for farting around, but not much else and the fish turn on and off alot too, was told by a regular when to fish this and that fly for the best results, the weir is abit of fun though , watching a shoal of fish attack yer fly Very Happy fun but silly Laughing everyone has there own ideas as to what they like so im not knocking anybodies choice, just found the place weird Shock gaz
Zimfisherboy
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Great Photo's and report Reply with quote

Wotcha Mate

Thanks for reminding me to get on the forum. I miss so much as I never seem to find the time. I enjoyed your write up and pics. Well done. Looks like a tough time casting from the pics. You never mentioned if there was any tackle shop or place for a coffee ? Ahem and if there was fat boy bacon sarnies available? Surprised Surprised Surprised

Speak again soon
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: