Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Ravensthorpe Saturday 02 October 2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PitsfordPirate
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Ravensthorpe Saturday 02 October 2010 Reply with quote

Couldn't get a boat on Grafham for today, a number of the boats have been moved to Rutland as it's hosting the Anglian final this weekend (Pirates didn't make it, we came 2nd in the Midlands heat at Grafham then shit the bed and came last in the Midlands final, doh!), so to ensure I get value for my season ticket, myself and the Bartman are heading to Ravensthorpe this morning.

Last time I was there was about three years ago, day out with Starsk, we had a cracking day's sport with nymphs on sunk lines, some real grown on lumps as well.

Apparently it's been quite challenging of late, will report back later on how we got on.

The Pirate.

Viva la club April 2006!
PitsfordPirate
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was an experience.

Got to the water at 8.30am and chatted for a while to the Warden whilst tackling up and waiting for the Bartman, who finally rolled in at 9.30am after getting lost.

It was fairly bright with a light breeze and the odd intermittant gust, totally the opposite from conditions across the county the day before, howling winds and heavy rain.

The water around the jetty was like pea soup, so I wasn't feeling all that confident before going out, especially as the Warden had confirmed how difficult it had been lately and the previous day's conditions had basically turned the ressie upside down. I started singing in my head, "If you'd rather be on Grafham clap your hands" as I finished getting my shit together, ah well, we were here now so best crack on.

As we motored out I was hoping the water would clear but nope, it was totally coloured all over the ressie.

I went out on a floater with buzzers and Bart on a neutral density and nymphs but very quickly we knew this would never catch in a month of Sundays.

I stuck on the trusty Di7 with two bright blobs on a short leader and twiddled the flees along the bottom. I was into fish almost immediately, halfway along the south shore towards Tall Willows, 50 metres from the bank. After my second, the Bartman changed to the same method but I was soon 4 to 1 up on him, then it all went quiet for me, yet the Bartman on same line and flees proceded to batter them out, taking another 11 fish, finally done me 12 to 4. Good grief! Rolling Eyes

Well, at least I made the ressie rod average I suppose.

The fish we caught were in cracking condition, silvered up with full fins and tails, no skerrets, all were between 2.5lb and 4.0lb.

We were by far the most productive boat, the others stuck to nymphs but with the cloudy water conditions this was really not the method and there was subsequently several blanks.

Very few fish showed all day, they were hard on the deck.

Enjoyed the day out.

The Pirate.

Viva la club April 2006!
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reviewing my opinion of this type of fishing having chucked large pike flies about. Whilst most of us, I'm sure, would prefer to catch on nymphs (if not dries) via floating lines, there is a time and place for the heavy stuff as Iain showed me so conclusively at Thornton. Although a blob is hardly in the same league as a pike fly it seems to elicit the same response in the quarry.

What I mean is, it's all acceptable, even if we do like ripping the piss out of blob and boobie pullers. Twisted Evil

Nice report Stewart. Very Happy

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
PitsfordPirate
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, most of us prefer to fish the wee stuff on floaters Rich but conditions dictate all too often and sitting there today pulling my pubes out with tweezers one by one would have been more fun and less painful than nymphing.

The Pirate.

Viva la club April 2006!
billysboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Ravo Reply with quote

Hi Stewart.
Thanks for the update buddy. Eight of us are fishing there on Tuesday and it looks like the lunch we have booked from the Chequers might be the highlight of the day!!! I presume your blobs were orangey things Wink
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mght have to have a day at Ravensthorpe if they are on the Blobs, cracking method!

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still never caught on a blob.....ah well my time will come.
royvs
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeh wrote:
Still never caught on a blob.....ah well my time will come.

Don't you bring those bl**dy things to Dovedale...they might work Shock
starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report Stewart.
If i remember rightly we were fishing the washing line method on deep sinkers with a Blob on the point due to ban on Boobies at the fishery.
We mullered them that day in bright hot sunshine.
Myself,Rich and Gary are planning a float tubing trip there on Sat 30th Oct. I was going to put it up in events when everyone had confirmed.
It would be nice to get a few people there for a meet up from bank or boat or float tube.
Hopefully the fish will be on the fry by then.
Mark
PitsfordPirate
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyboy wrote:
Hi Stewart.
Thanks for the update buddy. Eight of us are fishing there on Tuesday and it looks like the lunch we have booked from the Chequers might be the highlight of the day!!! I presume your blobs were orangey things Wink

Stinger Cat Blob on dropper and Stinger Tequila on point, both ginked up. We both fished same flees on same leader length using Di7s.

starsky wrote:
Good report Stewart.
If i remember rightly we were fishing the washing line method on deep sinkers with a Blob on the point due to ban on Boobies at the fishery.
We mullered them that day in bright hot sunshine.
Myself,Rich and Gary are planning a float tubing trip there on Sat 30th Oct. I was going to put it up in events when everyone had confirmed.
It would be nice to get a few people there for a meet up from bank or boat or float tube.
Hopefully the fish will be on the fry by then.
Mark

Aye that was one helluva day out Stark, Di3 with Crunchers and Diawl Bachs, ginked Blob on point, twiddled down deep, some cracking fish and remember the Warden thanked us afterwards for taking real care returning then, he had been watching us with his binos, only three or four boats went out yet the others returned to jetty very early as was so bright and calm, yet we managed to sit on the spot with the method and batter them.

Apparently it has not been the easiest of waters of late and is only starting to get over another Summer of heavy weed growth and algae, the water is extremely coloured, so I would highly recommend checking all the reports leading up to any trip, Rutland Gillies is a great source of up to date info.............
http://www.rutlandgillies.co.uk/site/

The Pirate.

Viva la club April 2006!
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PitsfordPirate wrote:
Stinger Cat Blob on dropper and Stinger Tequila on point, both ginked up.

For those of us that get confused with the colours of (and sly additions you incorporate into) blobs perhaps you'd be kind enough to post some pictures of these creations Stewart?

Thanks in advance.............. Cool

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet Gary must have a few Stingers given his line of work.
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starsky wrote:
I bet Gary must have a few Stingers given his line of work.

I've been using a Fell Down The Stairs Guv Nymph for some time now and it's an absolute killer.

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
PitsfordPirate
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, my camera isn't loaded onto this computer yet am afraid.

A Stinger is a foam arsed Blob, to keep it bouyant, a Cocktail or Tequila is Fire Orange at the front and Sunburst at the rear, half & half. My Cat Blob is Sunburst with a white marabou tail and wing.

The Pirate.

Viva la club April 2006!
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Question Wouldn't that make a Stinger a sort of reversed Booby? Question Question

Web - SKB Fly Fishing
Facebook - SKB Facebook
Twitter - SKB Twitter
Blue Hound - Web Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Stillwaters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: