Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Stellisee, Zermatt

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beardy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Stellisee, Zermatt Reply with quote

A bit off the beaten track this one Laughing

I was on hols in Zermatt, Switzerland recently and 'happened' upon an opportunity to do a bit of fly fishing!
Well it was either that or mountain biking, walking, snowboarding (still available on the glacier) or paragliding....

So a spot of fishing it was then .. I gave Kirk a call and booked a day's fishing.
Kirk is the guide and owner of fishing rights at the lake - check out www.flyfishzermatt.com

The lake is up in the mountains - while Zermatt village is at 1600m, the lake is at 2600m altitude.
To get there is a trip up the ski lift and then a 20 minute hike.

As we arrived (about 9am, we started out at 8am) there was no wind, the lake was flat calm, and fish were rising all across it, despite the light being fairly bright.

We rigged up (the gear was provided - Sonik sk4 / sk8 etc, 5wt) and Kirk recommended that I fish a dry - a sedge imitation. It worked straight away - first cast I was into a hard fighting trout, taken off the top.

Very Happy

and the good sport continued - I had about 6 further fish that morning.

The story behind the lake is that the trout were stocked by the nearby mountain restaurant about 20 years ago, for eating, but were never taken out and have bred there since. The lake (obviously) has a long winter, covered in 2ft thick ice, and the water remains cool even in high summer.

Aside from the spectacular scenery and environment in which we were fishing, the other weird thing were the number of spectators: the mountains are fairly busy with hikers and it seemed that every time I was into a fish, I had about a dozen people watching and landing the fish was met with ripples of applause!

Lunch followed at the nearby restaurant (plenty of beer Smile ) and then with an increasing wind, we called it a day.

All in all a memorable day's fishing - worth a go - if you happen to find yourself in Zermatt and dont want to go mountain biking Smile

cheers, Beardy

Last edited by beardy on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report and pics, Beardy Very Happy

Who would have thought you could catch trout at the foot of the Matterhorn? (well almost!). Smile

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Bridgwater AA

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic! What is that in the foreground? Looks like CCTV!

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
beardy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I also saw that but forgot to ask what it was - maybe a webcam(??)

As an update - one of the fish on, this one without spectators...

Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a camera to spot people tying a team of 3 blobs to their leader Very Happy

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Venue Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: