The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Best Mullet Fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Salt Water Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Best Mullet Fly Reply with quote

I am aware that there is a thread running on FFF on this very subject but I have not subscribed as of yet. I may have the opportunity of fishing on the south coast later in the year and my host advises me that the river we intend to fish turns into brackish water and hence offers an opportunity to fish for Mullet. I am a complete virgin about this sort of fishing and would welcome a couple of relatively easy to tie but successful flies to cast a these fish.
Who knows this could be entry into SWFF! I thank every one for having a look at this post and in particular those that reply.

Cheers
ballthebuilder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Ramer Sponge Bread Fly, a very simple but I think you will agree "life-like" fly. Great for Bass as well as Mullet.
The problem that I have is getting it to stick to the hook. I find after about ten minutes of casting that the sponge slips down to the hook bend, masking the point. I've got round this by attacking the sponge with scissors, generally roughing it up so it looks like crumbs hanging off. Then I whip and glue a corner of the sponge to the shank, thereby stopping it slipping.

The one in the pic is on a size 8 stainless and is about 5/8" in diameter. Fish it New Zealand style about 12" below a big white bushy deerhair fly in amongst free offerings of bread, it's a killer.

Ramer sponge material was developed in the second world war as an alternative to the balsa wood used in the manufacture of Mosquito's and glider's. Unfortunately it was found that it could only be used in the desert as it became soft and spongy when wet, so the project was abandoned and the bath sponge was born!! They are available from Boots the chemist at around £1.50 and comes pre-wetted in a bag.

Other flies to use are Apps Bloodworm, Red Tag, PTN and Gamarus/Slater/Maggot patterns.
Cheers Dave

PS: Thats a 5 pounder in my avatar, cought in Hampshire Cool

Is it or isn't it
FryFly
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loopy I admire your ambition. Mullet drive a man mad.

The only one I have caught was on a clouser in the pitch black dead of night, not sure who was more surprised Smile

I hear if you have the patience and determination, .....and a loaf of bread, you're in with a shout.

I personally still drift back to that little tussle, quite often.
They are brilliant fight.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

www.unchartedwatersthefilm.com

"Having an affair with Africa is like any great love, It will take you through conflicting emotions of hate & desire, joy & despair & if you stay long enough it will drive you insane and in your madness you will finally realise that come what may, this is where you were meant 2 be."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the above posts suggest your best bet is with a loaf of bread and a bread fly! They are finnicky eaters (much as every Triggerfish I cast to seems to be!)

You will more than likely end up driving yourself mad if you concentrate solely on Mullet. If you can get access to the Mackerel when they are running the shores then that is good sport and they are splendid eating when cooked straight away.

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried for mullet in the UK and by all accounts they are very difficult to catch here although my experience in Menorca was entirely different, on average 30+ per day two summers ago. I found it very difficult to get the flies down below the mullet for the other species without the mullet intercepting. I was wondering if it's something to do with the water temperature difference between there and here? They were admittedly only average sized but the sheer numbers in the shoal made chumming unnecessary.

I would go along with what's been said above about flies. Most of the mullet I caught were on white or off-white flies, either spun deer-hair bread imitations or small marabou lures but whether or not that translates into success in the UK, I don't know. Whatever you choose, you'll have no trouble tying them Loopy!

Here's one of the spun deer-hair bread flies. Size 14 if my memory serves me correctly.

Similarly to what Chris says about mackerel, I ate some of my freshly caught mullet in Menorca and I'd rate the taste as excellent. Either straight grilled or baked with garlic and onion they are at least on par with some of the more recognized food-fish.

These two were grilled at the beach by a couple of sun-bed attendants there and then for their breakfast!

Good luck!

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeeee Byyyyyyy Guuuuuuuuummmmmmmm Lads

Looks as if it is bread patterns.

Thanks for all the advice will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Salt Water Fly Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: