The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Safari
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a trouble free trip arrived at the river about noon & having left in a rush set about organising the
motorhome before starting to fish. The river looked in perfect condition so was fully expecting some frenetic
action, however as every fisherperson knows there is no predictability as far as fishing is concerned. Only
managed to land two that day with my "never fail' posies seemingly not producing.

A meal of whitebait fritters & a drinkies or two that evening went down well even if the fishing was not showing
a lot of promise.

Usually the best fishing is had initially then tapers off after the fish have been disturbed however on this occasion
for some reason it proved to be the reverse, with the momentum increasing as time went on & rather than post
a series of tedious pics it can suffice to say landed about 20 in total with probably an equal number lost, including
a massive brownie.

It rained quite heavily during the night so decision was made to leave comparatively early next morning after an
early morning fish providing the weather eased which it did around daybreak. I had intended to go down river to
a favoured spot requiring a relatively long walk that I was yet to fish on this trip. However it required a down current
river crossing then on the return battling an up current crossing & three quarters of the way across realised with the
rain overnight the river level was rising. The worrying unknown factor was how much rain had fallen in the mountains
consequently just how far it would continue to rise or how fast so for once common sense prevailed opting to turn back
in favour of once again fishing upriver. Not sure how downriver may have fished, nevertheless was surprised to find upriver
continued to produce despite having been well fished the previous day.

Packed up ready to leave but unknown to us was that on the way out via the farm track, the previous nights rain was going
to cause problems due to the surface being muddy therefore slippery. Have been out numerous times before when it has been
equally as slippery but this time altho we were not aware of the fact one of the dual rear tyres was punctured resulting in uneven
drive force causing the rear to slide sideways resulting in our being bogged down in the soft soil (read mostly cow shyte) edge on
the side of the track.

As luck would have it whilst pondering our plight Daryl appeared on the scene in the distance to re position the paddock irrigators
with a 4 wd vehicle but realised due to the angle of the motorhome that something was amiss so came over quickly assessed the
situation & went to fetch a tractor which had us moving again short order.

At the farm shed using the farm compressor, Daryl inflated the flat tyre on the dual rear & we set off home driving cautiously aware
of the fact the tyre if damaged may well deflate however checked it a couple of times & it seemed to be holding reasonable pressure.
Having it repaired was not a viable option inasmuch as would most likely have been very time consuming as the wheels are constructed
using split rims that require an operator to be licenced to repair them due to the inherent danger involved.

On the way home stopped off at the small village of Pokeno where it was predicted all the businesses there would die, as it was
by passed several years ago, when the main highway was reformed. The small businesses however formed strategies that would
encourage traffic to detour for a brief stop & it has worked beyond all hoped for expectations. Far from the least of the incentives
to stop over a re the two adjacent ice cream / food shops competing against each other to give the best deals or the size of their ice creams with options of up to 15 scoops.

Had the tyre repaired today by a licenced operator so all good & only remains to pass the six monthly COF inspection. Vinnie myself
& his dad hoping weather will be ok on Friday to take the boat out fishing as his dad has two replacement knee joints so needs to be
calm conditions to avoid risking any pounding.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday was the last day of the 2015 whitebait season so despite the tides demanding an ultra early start we set
off in the hope of scoring a tidy haul but obviously quite a few others had the same notion as several were already
set up & it was barely daybreak.

Am inclined to think the fish were aware it was the last day & if the held off for 24 hrs then they would be able to run
upriver unhindered by humans for they were few & far between. What there were heaps of were these shiny little blighters
that after awhile I decided might as well keep some to freeze for use as berley.

In fact they will be put to good use tomorrow as Vinnie, Ish & self are going out in the boat. The forecast looks very
"friendly" so can only hope the fishing will be likewise.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have seldom seen the sea as glassy calm as it was yesterday & water so clear could often see the bait in 12 mtrs water depth.

To have such an ideal day was particularly timely as Ish was onboard who has not been fishing for over 18mths or more due to
having had a knee replacement & the other needing one so cannot stand any pounding in rough conditions.

Was rather gratifying that Ish was son catching & in fact he caught both the most plus the biggest but I am puzzled as to where
the pic of him holding a 67 cm monster has disappeared to.

Vinnie was not far behind him but to my shame I was trailing the field somewhat bot in quantity & size.

All three of us were broken off a different times which we would like to think was by huge snapper but more likely were kingfish
which are powerful never say die fish even one this size I managed to boat but is 100 mm under the legal size of 75 cm.

Had a call from a fishing buddy to say he has been picking his strawberries & was on his way to drop some off to us so were looking
forward to getting a few freshly picked strawberries. What he did not say was the size of the boxes were & had to decline his ultra
generous offer of three boxes in favour of one which was more than enough to distribute around the neighbourhood & still left more
than we can eat.

Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forecast for this morning offered a window of opportunity to get out before the winds increase so made an impromptu decision
to fish solo for a couple of hours or so.

Was very slow initially with only undersize fish but then all of a sudden picked up resulting in this "bad boy" & a couple or more also
in top condition.

OK so a 540cm snapper is not unusual but what was significant was how fat it was making it much heavier than normal for its' size
& has already developed a "bump" on its' head characteristic of a larger snapper. The fight it gave in the shallow water was almost
unbelievable & was not until it was near the boat was it realised it was in fact a snapper as up until then I was picking it as a kingi
as it certainly was fighting like one.

Back at the ramp a young couple from Columbia travelling in a hired camper were about to have breakfast so asked them if they would
like some fresh snapper filets but they declined as they had breakfast already prepared. However after some deliberation they said they
would like to try some for dinner so hope they enjoy it .... could not have it much fresher for sure.

Freek ( think it is pronounced similar to Fred ) & Vanessa altho the snapper they were given was smaller than the one in the pic.

Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnie & I set out yesterday morning despite a doubtful forecast so were prepared to "run for home" if the conditions became uncomfortable.

As it happened the conditions were far better than we had hoped for & when Vinnie boated a keepable snapper within a couple of minutes we
understandably thought we were in for a real boomer of a day. However that was not to be as we were plagued by hordes of hungry undersize
fish &so between us ended up with only 5 snapper & a trevally.

Fresh trevally make for are superb sashimi, probably only second to freshly caught tuna so rather than post the usual rather tedious pics will
instead show the sashimi served as an entre with pickled ginger, wasabi/soy sauce & a Russian lager.

Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motorhome was due for its' six monthly COF ( road worthy testing ) & was pleased when the "old girl" flew through
without any problems so decided wold make the most of it by squeezing in a few days fly fishing prior to Xmas.

Once again the fishing was to prove fairly productive however was noticeable the fish seemed to be smaller than usual.

Initially even the brownies were smaller albeit in relatively good condition.

A meal of panko coated snapper fillet that evening.

Next day saw a few sizeable fish coming to the bank.

One fish ran the entire length of this run from where the pic is taken through snag ridden water to the start of the rapids in the
far distance where it narrows & had it swum down those there would have been no chance of working it back.

Once landed it became rather obvious why it had given such a powerful run as besides being a sizeable fish the nymph
was holding in its' side as can be seen just behind the front side fin. This meant it had to go back as the regulations state
anywhere ahead of the gill plates is ok but if behind them it is not legally caught ... something to do with preventing intentional
stroke hauling.

There is a spot that is usually good for several fish but this time had only produced one so after dinner that evening went back to
give it a try for five minutes & was rewarded with a fine brownie. Likewise the next morning before packing up had a sizeable fish
on but it dropped off after a prolonged tussle.

On this trip trialled a couple of new discoveries both of which worked extremely well which was very satisfying considering have tried
endless variations all of which have proved lacking but these are so simple as to be ridiculous giving truth to the saying " If you want
something simple that works give it to the laziest person to work on.

The first breakthrough was due to the fact I have trouble joining lengths leader finding the double clinch or blood knot tricky to tie & often
does not hold, no doubt largely due to my bumble fingered attempts, likewise with a double uni. Sure the surgeons knot is simple enough
but does not seem to be particularly long lasting plus will only work when one of the section is relatively short.

The next innovation was something I have been experimenting with for many years & that is an adjustable indicator that can be moved
back or forth to suit the depth of water or speed of the flow. As most will be aware the normal distance between the indicator & the nymphs
is roughly X 2 to X 2 1/2 times the depth of the water. Ideally they should drift slightly above the bottom of the river but if too long they
tend to drag where they are not as visible to the fish plus risking getting snagged. Conversely if not long enough the nymphs will be drifting
higher up which does not appear natural to the fish plus fish are much more inclined to move sideways to intercept a fly than rising from the
bottom ( dry fly excepted )

If anyone keen to try out either idea I will draw a few sketches, scan them then post to this thread as a follow on.

Another discovery made on this trip was a les than pleasant experience that I would not recommend & I hope to avoid repeating even if being
a slow learner I inadvertently made the same mistake twice over namely :-

I discovered that when walking in bare feet on wet grass carrying a trout with fingers inserted in the gill plates, everything involved makes for
a great conductor should you brush the trout against an electric fence wire particularly if it is an ultra powerful unit giving a shock that lifts your
feet off the ground & makes your hair stand on end!

Last edited by Bazza on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely fish - I would be very interested in hearing how you rig your indicator. I learned to use a big yarn indicator fishing big rivers in NZ but the knot I used wasn't very reliable.

These days when I fish a nymph under a dry fly indicator I tie the dry fly on a dropper - but that means I lose the flexibility of moving the indicator up and down according to water depth.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
Lovely fish - I would be very interested in hearing how you rig your indicator. I learned to use a big yarn indicator fishing big rivers in NZ but the knot I used wasn't very reliable.

These days when I fish a nymph under a dry fly indicator I tie the dry fly on a dropper - but that means I lose the flexibility of moving the indicator up and down according to water depth.

Hi BF ... have done my best with a few sketches but it will soon become obvious I am no great shakes as a graphic artist so hope it makes some sense.

Before we start am a bit unsure about a couple points you make namely :- When you say you used a large yarn indicator when in NZ then presume you were referring to the larger/deeper rivers such as the Tongariro & if so, then these methods would have very limited application in those circumstances. The reason is that in such water a major consideration is that a heavily weighted nymph is required to get to the bottom asap to where the spawning run fish are & to this end the indicator is usually tied to the end of the flyline also it is desirable unlike fishing smaller rivers, to land the nymphs as close to the indicator as possible, once again to allow them to sink asap.

When you mention fishing a nymph under a dry fly, presume the only indicator you are using is the dry & if so not sure if the system could be adapted to suit or not.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

OK let's start with the lazy mans' joining knot which was born out of utter frustration after having about three break offs in a row on snags, after laboriously tying blood knots. So thought "bugger it will try something dead simple & if it breaks off too bad" & set about tying a grannie knot at the end of one length & a clinch knot to the end of the other, slipped it over the grannie then drew it up tight. To my surprise landed a good size fish with the knot holding no problem then continued to land annother half dozen or so with the knot still holding fine, therefore since then have used that system exclusively & have yet to have it fail. To be fair have not tried it on
anything lighter than 6 lb so not sure how it would go on lighter material but inclined to think it would be fine.

Please try it & let me know if it worked for you or not.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Now on to the adjustable indicator which when using it seems to have significantly increased my catch rate & reduced the incidence of snags.

First length of about a meter is relatively heavy say 20 to 25 lb BS & no advantage using flouro as nylon is fine as well as much more affordable. The reason for using heavy material is so it will be thrown well forward of the fly line therefore lowering the risk of spooking a fish. The next section is a 750 mm length of say 8 or 10 lb flouro & this is the section that will carry the indicator which will be able to be moved back or forth to allow for depth or speed of the water. Next comes the main forward section or tippet which should be a cuple of pounds less BS so as the indicator is not lost in the event of a breakoff.

To pull the loop thru the tube I use a very small chrochet hook as it has the advantage of being able to load it with tubes ready to use however it can stil be acheived using a short length of nylon or thin copper wire.

Re the tubes :- the ID of various ink tubes varies as does the flexiblity so some experimenting may be required to find one that suits keeping in mind the non ink section will probably give 1/2 doz or more 4 or 5 mm lengths that are best cut with a carton cutter with some sort of small container to catch them when they fly off when cut through.

The yarn can be pre soaked in floatant then dried ready to use but in any event will need "fluffing" before use to work effectively. To minimise any risk of spooking fish keep the indicator trimmed as short as need be, yet still allow it to be seen.

IMPORTANT :- do not try to slide indicator too fast otherwise the flouro will "crinkle" & is advantageous to avoid that happening if the flouro is wet.

Some experimenting probably required to arrive at method that creates a suitable tension & once it is found stick with it as if too loose indicator will move when casting or if too tight will make it difficult to adjust.

Any further questions do nor hesitate to ask .... hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried these Dave. Good so far and no slippage. Appears to be the 'commercial' version of Bazza's set up.
Mark

http://www.strikeindicator.com/
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:
Have tried these Dave. Good so far and no slippage. Appears to be the 'commercial' version of Bazza's set up.
Mark

http://www.strikeindicator.com/

Yes co incidentally it basically looks like the same sort of setup altho the tubing they are using appears to be more flexible than
the pen tubing which may or may not be an advantage so I am going to try to source some then experiment.

Also they are using merino wool as the yarn which of course there is no shortage of down here but strikes me unless it was dyed
which would destroy most of the lanoline that gives it floatation qualities as well as I reckon the natural wool colour would be difficult
to see in certain conditions such as in a foam line etc. Am inclined to think egg pattern or globug synthetic yarn with floatant applied
would be a better option & it is available in a wide range of colours.

It may be of interest that the actor in the promo clip is Andrew Harding, the same guy who produces the video clips & a couple are
currently featuring in the 'general" sector of this forum.
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They float well Bassa. Re used them also. Spoke to one chap at BRFFA who has used gink on them also to no ill effect.
Mark
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings gents and thanks very much for posting the diagram Bazza.

In NZ I used the big commercially available yarn indicators to fish very heavy nymphs and weighted egg imitations on the big deep rivers. These would typically be about 12 feet from the fly.

For medium sized rivers with a bit of colour I would use a blob of glo-bug yarn, sized accordingly, usually in peach or green and doused in floatant.

For small rivers and nervous trout I would use a dry fly as indicator, which is the method I tend to use of over here, though I feel I should probably go back to the yarn indicator to fish heavy nymphs on the big deep holes on the Usk, which can hold some real lunkers (not by NZ standards). The problem with the clinch knot I used to secure the yarn is that it doesn't hold very well and leaves a nasty kink in the mono when you take it off or move it.

I've also used these on still waters, but these days tend to use a small booby instead which picks up the odd bonus fish - especially the bopper variety

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/turrall-thingamabobbers-12in-glo~12550.html
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived in Martinborough on the 23 rd in time for a quick fish in a local river before the preparations for a family xmas began
resulting in a smallish rainbow for the cats' dinner.

Next day went to dive for paua but conditions proved to be unsuitable so returned without even getting wet.

[imhttp://www.completefisher.com/foCastlepointXmas2015047.jpg[/imgrum/userpixxaupload/98_] g]

Xmas day celebrations :-

Boxing day moved on to beach holiday site at Castlepoint.

Went out in the small boat & I was lucky enough to land a nice size kingfish.

Kingfish loin chunks being prepared for cooking & then cooked on a camp oven.

Grand daughters went out next morning & boated a reasonable size KY

but

That arvo before leaving Michael & Cooper went for a dive to collect paua but the strap on Coopers dive mask broke before he managed
to get in the water so it was all over to Michael who was joined by a seal who seemed to resent an intruder in its' territory.

He managed to collect 8 legals ie 125 mm plus which provided a delicious meal this evening.

They may not appear particularly appetising in their raw state but are a top tasting variety of abalone that can demand over $200 kg ( including
the shell etc. on the world market.

This is what the shells look like when dried.

Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am having problems posting pics so this is a test to see if they post OK here or not & if so, can be confident about continuing the thread.

Ah ha good one .... that appears to have posted OK & for those interested is a pic of the walnut tree that was planted in memory of Roy Stroud
when I visited a couple of days ago & was pleased tp find it is thriving so may even fruit next year.

The guy beside the tree is a Sunny a Sri Lankan doctor practicing in Queensland who was keen to try flyfishing so set up a borrowed rod then
introduced him to Roys' Rapids, showed him how best to fish it then left him to it as had made arrangements to fish elsewhere.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having proven in the previous post that pics are posting ok then can safely move on to the post proper but must warn it could be photo heavy so
will probably have to break it down into at least two posts.

Had been wanting to do the Patuna Chasm walk so set off early one morning unaware of how challenging it was going to be or that it would take
4 hrs or in the case of this geriatric, overweight individual feeling washed out with a dose of the flu 4 1/2 hrs plus.

http://www.patunafarm.co.nz/patuna-chasm/

The walk starts here downhill thru a pine forest :-

At the bottom a stream is crossed before the ascent up very hilly terrain & the landowner altho not a fisherman told me he often sights trout that run
up to spawn, some of which are close to 5 kg. Spawning rivers / streams close on 30 th June but he said he sees them from mid May onwards so may
plan a trip back sometime in June.

This is the type of hilly country encountered but fortunately do not have to climb anywhere near that high, nevertheless there are several places that require
ropes or ladders.

Care must be taken to avoid contact with Onga Onga which is a native stinging nettle that can prove to cause extreme discomfort or pain. Stories abound of
unfortunate individuals having chosen what they think is a ferny patch to attend to attend to a call of nature & in the process unwittingly backing a bare
posterior into the onga onga which makes ones' eyes water just to think about it !

This rock formation reminded me of a lioness or a cheetah.

This one is known as wave rock & can walk along the channelled rock if so inclined.

I was on my own & occasionally losing direction so when I eventually arrived at the highest point of the chasm ( 60 mtrs ) was apprehensive about the stability
of the surrounding terrain so tried wriggling towards the edge lying on my tummy then holding the camera extended out & clicking blindly at random which
in turn produced very unimpressive shots but at least I managed to survive the exercise.

Above the point from which the pics were blindly taken & below the result.

Unfortunately the shots of the final laddered descent to the stream is very blurred for some unknown reason.

However once there it was like being in another rather magical world :-

A couple of upstream shots of the aptly named "Mossy Falls "

At this point it was time to start the hour or more trek downstream & must apologise for the poor quality of some of the shots but I had not realised
that there would be 3 or 4 places the water would be deep enough that feet would not reach the bottom & would need to swim, backpack and all such
as shown in the following pics.

The cool wind blowing thru the length of the chasm added to the chill factor from water soaked clothing, which did not help the feeling of exhaustion
from the flu symptoms so considered it was high time to return to some warming sunshine, but it seemed like the chasm was going on forever, to the
extent I was starting to get concerned that I may have overshot the exit point, due to not recognising it as such.

Eventually the overhead terrain became more closed over & cave like.

In one way this was something of a welcome development as it signalled the end of the chasm was getting closer but on the other hand
felt rather discomfortingly ghostly which was not helped by encountering a large jet black eel a meter long X maybe 80mm dia blocking
my path. Am not normally bothered by eels as there is no need to be, however in these surreal surroundings must admit to feeling more
than a tad apprehensive conjuring up visions of it attacking in order to defend its' territory. Therefore when after being prodded a few
times with my wading pole it moved on out of sight in the darkness it was something of a relief & managed to put any fanciful thoughts
of it lying in ambush a bit further on out of my mind.

The glimmer of light in the distance was a very welcome sight marking the end of the chasm where it finally emerged into sunshine which
I tried to soak up by lying on the grass bank but found I needed to keep moving to combat the chill from soaking wet clothing.

Had thankfully completed the loop & was now retracing the familiar territory of the earlier trek in, nevertheless a considerable distance still
remained so was a feeling of relief mixed with muted satisfaction to finally arrive back at the car & a welcome change into dry clothing. Was
pleased to have done it despite the exhaustion & looking back now via the pics albeit many of poor quality am beginning to appreciate the
experience but would make certain of feeling fitter if attempting anything similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Page 60 of 75

Jump to: