The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Safari
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Safari Reply with quote

Have just arrived back from a motorhome fishing safari of the Nth. & Sth. Is. of NZ,
that was drawn out longer than expected to 2 1/2 mths.

Was a great trip, will post an overview shortly with some pics but need to get a
new puter in order to post pics as CD has packed up on this one, likewise the PCS.

Cheers Barry
greenock
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the report and pics Barry.

"Unbelievable Jeff"

http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt33/greenock_photos/
Andrew Moray
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear from you Barry.
Look forward to the words and pics.

How did the modified home from home cope with the demands of the trip ?.

Tony
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Moray wrote:
Glad to hear from you Barry.
Look forward to the words and pics.

How did the modified home from home cope with the demands of the trip ?.

Tony

Very well overall Tony, but not without the odd mishap which has to be expected on
such a trip I guess. They included, getting stuck on the beach & blowing a tyre in the
process of freeing it which we were unaware of until a couple of weeks later & had been
travelling on only three rear wheels for all that time. Does not pay to think of the terrain
that was covered & what might have happenned had the remaing tyre blown whilst
traversing some of the back country hills with sheer drops of hundreds of mtrs.

Filled up with petrol instead of diesel on one occassion but fortunately discovered the
mistake before restarting the engine & it was able to be pushed to the workshop adjacent
to be drained.

Swung under a canopy at a liqour store with the canopy clearing but forgot about the boat
at the rear being a foot or so higher & the resulting impact tore the holding brackets off.
Fortunately the safety stucture I had built held but had to complete the rest of the trip with
ropes thru the rear windows holding it in place. Was all over a bottle of dodgy imported bottle
of gin from the U.K. but more on that later.

Outboard motor salted up & gave some problems but brought a new one as a replacement
yesterday.

Had a sleepless night after burning my tummy on the cob cooker I forgotten had been left in
the cab to make crackling after having cooked a pork roast.

Lost count of the number of times I fell in the river, also managed to break two rods ( details later)
including the new sage brought for the trip so had to buy an el cheapo ( silverstream) to complete
the trip which am thrilled by its' performance.

They are the negatives that were far outweighed by the positives including the fishing, good
food & wine, meeting interesting people & having a great time overall. Also only spent one
night at a motor camp, freedom camping more often than not on the beachfront or by a river.
Had a wishlist of species we hoped to catch including snapper, crayfish ( spiny lobster) kingfish.
tarakihi , mussels, blue cod, paua ( abalone) pipis, brownies, rainbows, salmon etc. all of which
made for freshly caught tasty eating.

On one hot day the young guy I was fishing with dived in the river to cool off & a while later I
decided to strip off & do likewise. When I got out opted to continue fishing in undershorts rather
than put shorts back on whilst still wet. My companion had arived at 2 am so retired to his tent
to read a book & rest. Not long after a car pulled up & two young ladies came down to the river
leaving me wondering should I put shorts back on or hope they would not notice. My dilemma
proved needless when these very well proportioned young ladies promptly stripped off & proceeded
to frolic about. Called to my young friend in his tent there were far more interesting things to
conentrate on than reading a book. On describing what was going on he did not believe me saying
I was having him on, but boy did his eyes pop when he came ot to have a look. Was difficult
to concentrate on the drift, so removed the fly so as not to lose concentration. Stayed on an
extra day but sadly they did not return.

Its a tough life as am away today for another three days fishing at an ARC beach the local motor
home ass. has arranged the exclusive right to camp the three days there.

Take delivery of my new 5.5 mtr. boat next Thurs.

As I said it is a tough life but am sure I will cope.

Cheers Barry

Last edited by Bazza on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a memorable trip Barry, did you get any good photos?

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds brilliant Barry and I look forward to seeing some pictures especially the buxom maids Very Happy
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Sounds like you had a memorable trip Barry, did you get any good photos?

Yes I think so Chris, but will need a new puter before I can post a few.

Sorry Invicta, the camera lense was fogging & I was shaking too much to get any
pics of the young ladies.

Used the new 3 1/2 hp mercury motor on the m/home boat, for the first time on the
weekend & it kept on cutting out after 5 mins or so running & had to wait quite sometime
for it to restart. On the first occasion had to row back a considerable distance in the face of
a particularly vigorous SW wind & was close to touch & go several times around the rocks.

It is a relatively basic motor so they should be able to identify the problem when it goes
back in to be checked over.

Will copy & paste an account below of what I consider a humorous incident at the m/h rally at
the beach with over 80 m/hs attending.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Had thought I would like to stay in m/home at Shakespeare regional park sometime .....
like most of the ARC parks they have a designated area where you can book in.

Anyway the NZMCA mag was among the mail waiting when I arrived home & they had
exclusive right to the camp area this weekend for a rally.

Rallies are not quite my thing but decided would be a chance to suss out the camping
at the park. It is right on the beach but blew a NW gale for the three days, nevertheless
found a sheltered spot not far from the beach & less distance to drag the boat as no ramp.

Despite the weather conditions got out fishing each of the three days & caught fish, altho
surprisingly enough a couple of good sized snapper were also caught at high tide straight
of the beach despite the bay being relatively shallow.

When I came in from boat fishing yesterday, had three quite good size snapper & noticed
three young girls about 10 or 12 trying to fish from the beach with their enthusiasm far
outweighing their skill. Nevertheless they were trying their utmost wading out chest deep
in the windy surflike conditions & casting "girly" casts a full three mtrs. or so, invariably to
get tangled in the rafts of weed being blown ashore, besides the tide was fairly well out
so they would have been casting to less than a mtr. of water & dropping fast ......

A devilish impulse struck me ( as well as the thought of having to clean my catch ) so
beckoned the young girls ashore. Initially they were quite apprehensive thinking they were
in trouble for for some reason or other but their demeanor changed completely when I
put a proposition to them.

No ..... not that sort of proposition ....... but said " How about I give you a fish each, fasten
them to your hooks then you can walk thru the camp ground with the over shoulders & anyone
that asks, you can say you got them down on the beach.

Well they jumped at the chance & revelled in the resulting celebrity status as they walked back
thru the 80 odd m/homes to their g/parents who had brought them. People were rushing out
with cameras to take pics or enthuse about how well they had done & all the time I am nearly
wetting myself laughing ..... in fact I may well have ..... given the problems of getting older.

Anyway they must have played their the part to the hilt, as they were interviewed by the editor
of the club mag. pics taken & I can tell you the sight of them leaving later ( in G/Ps' m/home )
standing at the open doorway, waving to their adoring audience was priceless. The guy that
had offered to clean their catch was told quite firmly by the girls he was not allowed to remove
too much in the process ( let alone fillet them ) as they wanted to show everyone at home them
in full glory.

Hey ........ but probably the funniest bit was all the elderly male hopefuls, lined up shoulder to
shoulder on the beach this morning, casting furiously into the howling gale ....... only to wind
in piles of seaweed.

Told you I had a wicked SOH.

Last edited by Bazza on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andrew Moray
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Barry,

Bazza wrote:
Very well overall Tony, but not without the odd mishap which has to be expected on
such a trip I guess.....

Not much there that couldn't be put down to fine-tuning or age Very Happy
Sounds like a great time, and I'm not at all envious ...

Quote:
these very well proportioned young ladies promptly stripped off & proceeded
to frolic about. ......
Was difficult to concentrate on the drift, so removed the fly so as not to lose concentration.

I just have to accept that New Zealand is my kind of place, and the locals logic mirrors my own ....

As for the campsite story .... Laughing

Thanks Barry,
Tony
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully will be getting a new puter today & everything on this one transferred
which should allow some pics to be posted.

Cheers Barry
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. here goes ..... have new puter running & think I am getting pics on file.

Better try something simple to start with as besides being a techniphobe
when it comes to puters ... have spent 2 1/2 mths. without them along with
newspapers & tv so will probably struggle to come to grips with relearning the
process.

Sorry have spent over an hour trying to upload pics but they are far too
large & so far have not managed to resize them .... will try again tomorrow.

Wow may have found a roundabout way to resize ..... namely shift image back & forth
then e-mail it to myself ... then refile & copy from there.

Just HAS to be a easier way .... but at least it works.

These are trial pics of new boat collected yesterday & a shot of the three girls that were given
fish mentioned earlier on this thread. ( red text )

Last edited by Bazza on Mon May 17, 2010 4:48 pm; edited 5 times in total
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. having discovered a way albeit ultra long winded to post pics will try post
3 or 4 each day with narrative hopefully in some sort of order.

A further complication is that there is a mixture of digital & conventional film
pics. The reason being that the only waterproof camera I have is a conventional
film pentax & given the number of times I fell in the river a wise choice to use.
Furthermore with some of the digital pics the shutter was held down too long
so are in movie mode & have no idea how to deal with those.

Firstly there intentionally will not be a lot of pics of fish, as I find endless pics
of fish can often be tedious imo. The exceptions will be where they may have
been significant or notable for some reason or other. Instead they will mainly
be images of the places visited, rivers, streams lakes fished or being fished &
times enjoyed.

Suffice to say plenty of fish were landed, with probably more lost & a few blank
days. We were hoping to manage a trophy or two ( over ten pounds ) but it was
not to be alto certain 2 or 3 were hooked then lost, had some blank days, conversly
the busiest yeilded 35 fish in 2 1/2 hrs. on the Aruhiri river ..... unfortunately they
ranged in size from small to tiny. Could not seem to stop the little tackers grabbing
the fly before any decent size fish got near to it.

90% of the time we never saw any other fisherpersons altho we were mostly
fishing rather isolated little visited locations.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Here goes :-
A couple of days after my brother Les arrived from Cairns were spent on final
preparation for the trip & in order to celebrate wifes' birthday.

First fishing of the trip ( no pics ) was at a couple of easy to fish localities to
familarise Les with river & night fishing lakes & several fish were landed.

Then was off to visit a friend, Ivan ( aka Ike ) who had kindly offerred to take
us for an overnight trip on his trailer sailer in Omokoroa harbour, which is very
shallow therefore considerable knowledge required to navigate without running
aground or being cut off by sand bars on the falling tide. Fortunately having spent
all his life in the area, much of it on the family farm on the beachfront, few if any
know it as well as Ike. Slept & ate on board fishing ( apart from netting ) when it
became dark, as Ike said is the only time the fish are likely to be close in the
relatively shallow water of maybe 3 mtrs or less at high tide. ( last pic)

All of a sudden seemingly in the middle of nowhere Ike put down the anchor donned
a wet suit, jumped overboard & began to run out a net.

Straight away mullet began to be netted .... 35 in total in less than 30 mins. Les is
shown here removing one, quite a knack required .... Ike could manage it in a couple of
secs but Les & I struggled for ages. Annother problem was trying to wind in the net with
fish continuing to be caught at a great rate.

With plenty of mullet as bait & sun going down was on to another spot to fish whilst
Ike cooked dinner.

Success

To be cont.

Last edited by Bazza on Wed May 19, 2010 6:56 am; edited 11 times in total
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today in NZ is Anzac Day ( War Rememberance Day)
ANZAC = Australian & NZ Army Corps commemorating the fiasco resulting in such a
pointless huge loss of life at Gallipolli (Turkey) in WW1

Most wear a red poppy today as a symbol of the poppy feilds that grew in the area. It
was the last time Aust/NZ troops served under the direct British command. ( Are you
listening Winston? )

So it is apt that todays' pics are of Te Kaha which is a small East Cape beach settlement
& home to Willie Apiata a member of the SAS who was recently awarded the Victoria Cross
for bravery whilst serving in Afganistan & has just reurned from his second tour of duty there.

Anyway we were fortunate to gain permission from the Maori owners of the beachfront land,
a really beautiful spot with the plus that it was ideally suited to launching the boat from the
beach.

Managed to get the m/h stuck in the loose rock & presumably when trying to free it was when
one of the inside rear tyres was blown which we were oblivious to & only discovered it a
couple of weeks later after traversing some rather rugged back country terrain.

The fishing around the rocky area that can be seen was productive & is even better at
a reef a km. or two further out. However we opted to stay closer to shore which as it
happened was a wise decision as the small outboard began to give trouble by cutting
out after being run for about 5 mins & usually had to wait until it cooled down before it
would restart. We stripped it down as best we could with a limited toolkit in order to try
find the cause of the problem, also changed the fuel but to no avail. We concluded it was
probably the coil overheating so decided to move on, after a brief stopover at Waihau
Bay (which was unusually busy due to a gamefishing tournament being held there) towards
Gisborne which was the nearest reasonably size city where we hoped to be able buy a
replacement coil.

To be cont.

Last edited by Bazza on Wed May 12, 2010 9:00 am; edited 7 times in total
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smashing stuff Bazza. Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistlekiller wrote:
Smashing stuff Bazza. Very Happy

Thanks WK
Have just returned from the ANZAC service .... was as usual very moving & gratifying to
see a revival of interest with numbers attending growing each year, also notable the
number of young folk attending. Sadly an airforce helicopter on its' way to attend the dawn
service in Wellington this morning crashed & four dead to date.

There are dawn services held throughout the country as well, signifying the time that they
were ordered to attack the enemy trenches invariably suffering huge losses as the enemy
knew exactly when to expect attacks & were fully prepared. Constant requests to carry out
night attacks were refused on the grounds that it simply "was not cricket"

BTW it is generally accepted that the involvement of Aus & NZ forces fighting side by side at
Gallipolli was where the colloquialism of calling someone "mate" originated.
wull
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reading Barry, i wish i could go on one of those trips.
great life! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 1 of 77

Jump to: