The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Nomad

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Nomad Reply with quote

I've always thought of the 'Nomad' as a particular style of fly rather than a name given to a specific dressing. The nomads I have seen tied were fairly simple weighted lure but with one crucial difference they are tied with a gold bead mounted mid shank on the hook, this means that the finished fly is more evenly balanced and when fished will swim in a far more horizontal plane than flies with front mounted beads. The bead is there to get the fly to the right depth, and perhaps add a little bit of flash but should not cause any undulating, movement whilst retrieved. Its the smoother swimming motion that can, on some days make the difference.

The Nomads have not been a particularly successful fly for me, probably due to not using them very often more than anything, but I have had the odd fish on them.

The most common colours seem to be those along the Catswhisker, viva and damsel themes, I.e. Chartreuse & white, Black and Green and Olive.I have also seen Pink and Orange ones too.

The Dressing:
Hook:Anything you like (Kamasan B175 size 10)
Bead:Depends on how heavily weighted you want the fly (4mm brass bead)
Tail: Marabou
Body:Fritz
Nose: Thread or floss.

Tying Method:
1. Slide the bead onto the hook with the concave recess facing the bend of the hook:

2. Start the tying thread behind the bead about half way along the hook shank and start forming a 'bump' of thread:

keep winding on the thread in the same spot until you have built up enough so that the bead will slide over the front half of the bump but should not be able to pass completely over the top of it, as you are forming this thread bump occasionally slide the bead back against it to check progress:

When the thread has been built up enough so that the bead jams against it and can not be pulled back along the hook shank then you have it about right.

3. Start the coloured tying thread off in front of the gold bead:

Now build up a smooth tapering 'nose' or elongated head between the gold bead and the eye:

when you have a 'nose' that you are happy with, make a whip finish or a few half hitches then trim out the thread:

4. Take the remaining thread and form a ramp of thread butting up against the back of the bead, this will ensure that the bead is held securely and won't slide along the hook while casting. It is a good idea to form this little ramp when tying all gold head flies, it really does make the fly more durable. Don't be tempted to put on too much thread, or you will find that that the thread will slip toward the bend of the hook and make a mess. you are looking for a fairly smooth gentle slope like this:

5. Take a pinch of marabou and prepare it as was done to the marabou tail in the blob step by step . Hold the marabou along the top of the hook shank with the cut ends stopping just behind the bead, with a few firm turns of thread fasten it to the top of the hook shank:

continue binding the marabou to the top of the hook shank with touching turns of thread down to the bend of the hook:

If required trim the marabou tail to length by pinching between thumbs and fingers and tearing it, see the blob step by step ) for more detail on this.

Should end up with something looking like this:

6. Prepare the fritz by pulling away some fibers to expose the core (seeblob step by step ) for more detail) Then tie it in at the bend of the hook:

wind the fritz in touching turns up the hook shank, its not really necessary to slick the fritz back with damp fingers for this fly as you aren't aiming to build up bulk, you may only get three of four turns on before you reach the bead but that is plenty. Try though to finish up tight against the back of the bead, that way you shouldn't end up with a unsightly band of thread when you tie off, its also important however to try not to wind on too many turns or you could end up masking the bead with loads of forward facing fibers:

That's the fly completed, but to make the nose a little more durable it makes sense to give it a few coasts of nail varnish, Hard As Nails or just head cement.

The finished fly:

In the above step by step I didn't stick strictly to the dressing which is normally regarded as the 'original' nomad. The original as far as I can tell was tied with finer (micro) fritz, causing the fly to have a more streamlined shape, I've not ever found there to be any difference in the performance between the standard and micro fritz versions however. Perhaps a more accurate representation of the fly would look something like this:

Here I have used shimmer to form the body instead of standard fritz, I have also tied it in Catswhisker colours, just to show that nearly any pattern could be tied in the Nomad style.

Happy tying.
Paul.

Last edited by Paul on Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:59 pm; edited 6 times in total
Wayne
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on with that Paul, i owe you one.
jloc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Paul,

Tied my first ever flies using your guide sunday morning and took a 3lb10z Rainbow on sunday afternoon using it !!!!

Excellent stuff !!!!

Any other flys for a beginner you could recommend??

Cheers

jason
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Jason Very Happy, nice to know the step by step was useful to you.

As for other easy flies to tie, try the Blob (probably the easiest fly of them all) Catswhisker and Pheasant tail nymph is fairly straightforward too. I've tried to make all my step by steps useful to fly tying beginners, If you have a go at any of them and if you spot something I haven't explained well just make a post and I'll re-visit them, I'm sure this could benefit other tyers too?

Well done on that fish, is bigger than anything Ive caught on the nomad Laughing

Paul.
jloc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yet again,

I knocked up some damsel coloured nomads and took 2 trout on them this morning !!

Yet again my own flies catch for me,

Cheers

Jason

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Step By Step Fly Tying All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: