The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Tenkara
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Tenkara Reply with quote

Has anybody tried it?

I tend to fish a similar style with my 10'-0" rods.

I'm tempted for the small upper streams , however there are no suppliers, I think? in the U.K.

Bill Smile
Graham
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This explained it for me Embarassed

Link

I just think i'd miss the casting, interesting stuff though, kinda what Isaak used to do.......... Wink

Cheers,

Graham
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

springwell wrote:
Has anybody tried it?

Goddammit!!! I haven't got one of them! Mad

However, these people do: Tenkara USA. There must be dealers for them in the USA although it doesn't list them, only a form to fill in for prospective partners.

I remember seeing a Japanese filmed documentary about this method and although it's tantamount to whip fishing (Myangle, don't you dare..... Twisted Evil) I could quite easily give it a go. I might do as you suggest and improvise with an existing rod to start with before blowing the telephone bill on yet another purchase! Very Happy

SKB Web - SKB Fly Fishing
SKB Facebook - SKB Facebook
CFF Facebook - CFF Facebook
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham.

I'm a member of smallstreams.com forum in the USA where there is a section devoted to it. A very good forum, with a few familiar members from here on it, check it out.
Now Rich, you have to get one, just imagine a pike on that.

The beauty of it on small streams is you don't need to cast, the rods come in at around $130, its the import costs that crank it up.

I'm tempted Smile

Bill Smile
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

I'm not a "coarse" angler, so don't know much about whips and poles.Us trout anglers prefer to frequent more upmarket Gentlemens clubs.

I've checked out whips and they all seem to be tippish and fast apart from one from Garbolino, the whips are much cheaper than the proper rods and they look it, flashy decals, not quite acceptable to us trout anglers. Cool

Now if you know of a very soft actioned one with no Airfix stickers Very Happy with a subdued appearance it may be worth an experiment. Otherwise its got to be the real thing.

Bill Smile
barbus
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a whip with a handle , so nothing new AGAIN Confused and what happens if you get a decent fish do they use elastic as in whips/poles Rolling Eyes
westcountryboy
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill i can sort you a rod out from Japan no worries.

Varivas do loads to choose from.

WCB

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com The BEST Fly fishing tuition guiding and lessons in Devon

http://funkyflytying.co.uk
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great Toby,

pm sent.

Bill Smile
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this (stop laughing at the back) and have been considering some issues. I'm not overly keen on telescopic rods, having owned a few over the years, so was considering asking for a solid one to be built from an 11 to 13ft 3/4# blank (are these available???), say 6,7 or even 8 pieces (numbered) with a Half Wells cork handle minus the reel seat. Obviously it would just require a small tip ring or equivalent.

I've been thinking further (stop laughing in the circle)........I'm a little concerned about the possibilty of a mad fish running off without me being able to give line so I'm advocating the use of a short section of no more than 6" of pole elastic from the rod-tip to the fly-line connection prior to the leader and tippet assembly. It would give me a bit of peace of mind. Chris Nicholls is your man for information regarding this (usually sedentary) item of tackle.

I know all this probably goes against the spirit of Tenkara but I've no real need for a rod that breaks down quite as small as those indicated above as I've no intention of going into the wilds of Lincolnshire for weeks on end to grow yet another unpopular beard (for Starsky to take the piss out of) and probably either starve to death or get shot by irate farmers whilst attempting to live off the land/river. My idea seems to me like a happy compromise for nymphing/dry fly fun.

Opinions welcome............ Laughing

springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Your idea sounds good in principle. However before I do a Ray Mears in Carmarthenshire I would still go for the telescopic rod. The reason being it would just about fit in your jacket/ waistcoat pocket and I'd take it along with my other gear to start with to get the hang of it.

The landing of a fish is a bit of an art, but checking out the sites the method seems straightforward.

What is a must is the rod action, it has to be through action style I would say.

Bill Smile "Always take the weather with you"
Alyn Fisher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Tenkara in the UK Reply with quote

Hi
I found out about Tenkara early last year and mentioned it on our club Forum,see link. Tenkara on the forum It stired up a lot of comments, mostly bad! but one of the members ordered a rod and took to it like a fish?Read his reports here. Tenkara reports. Since then things have started to grow, we now have 4 in the club with rods and others around the country getting interested and buying rods. Read about one converted angler! Petes Blog. I have now started a new forum which is growing slowly, I believe this method will take off here. There are many that think and say that it is nothing more than pole fishing or dapping! If you watch the latest river academy DVD's they are fishing Tenkara style but with a shorter rod? If you get a chance to try a rod, put your miss-givings aside and try it with an open mind.

UK Tenkara Forum

Simon
Whistlekiller
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tenkara in the UK Reply with quote

Alyn Fisher wrote:
Hi
I found out about Tenkara early last year and mentioned it on our club Forum,see link. Tenkara on the forum It stired up a lot of comments, mostly bad! but one of the members ordered a rod and took to it like a fish?Read his reports here. Tenkara reports. Since then things have started to grow, we now have 4 in the club with rods and others around the country getting interested and buying rods. Read about one converted angler! Petes Blog. I have now started a new forum which is growing slowly, I believe this method will take off here. There are many that think and say that it is nothing more than pole fishing or dapping! If you watch the latest river academy DVD's they are fishing Tenkara style but with a shorter rod? If you get a chance to try a rod, put your miss-givings aside and try it with an open mind.

UK Tenkara Forum

Simon

Hi Simon,

You appear to have slipped under the radar mate! Welcome to the form and all that sort of stuff! Very Happy

This Tenkara thing is quite interesting. Do you have any pictures of your club catching fish on the method you could post here as opposed to links?

sam1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i`m an tenkara and classic style loving angler (preferably built-cane) since years. i just ordered a tenkara-rod in 10 ft from a swiss guy (try google "edelweiss-fishing."). i have also a built cane rod from him, bought years ago. price for the tenkara was aprox £ 175 incl. shipping to uk, the rod is named "ederuwasu", pretty nice classic look. some more expensive than the us-made rods, but i like more the swiss-design & quality. will try it in spring in an small chalk stream for grayling, let you know more about my catches (hope they will be some Wink soon as possible.
greetings samuel
Alyn Fisher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: New Tenkara site Reply with quote

You may all find this site interesting if like me you are becoming hooked on Tenkara. Chris has been fishing Tenkara style for many years in the USA and has just produced this excellent site that answers most of the questions you may have.

TenkaraBum
mostyn
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good site Alyn, Tenkara Bum! I quite like the look of the Tenkara USA 11ft, Iwana, there's also some sound advise on the Tenkara UK forum!

Mostyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: