The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

The Wandering Chav
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: The Wandering Chav Reply with quote

Was lovingly given the nickname of The Chav by Alex H.....

Anyway this will be the diary for my trips fishing and not so much about the TWOCING and standing on street corners drinking White Lightning....

First Things First:

River Test - 4th September - Timsbury Beat 6

Was bought this days fishing by my girlfriend for reaching the grand old age of 30! She flatly refuses to purchase any fishing gear or related stuff due to the fact the house is full of it already Laughing Laughing Laughing So it was a very welcome gift.

Went along with 2 other forum members Chruchill and Dusty.

It was a very windy day, with gusts of 30 mph plus at times, making the use of dry flies nearly impossible. Real shame as wanted to try a few patterns I had tied, including the CDC daddy I did for a swap (yes I will do an SBS when I eventually find my digital camera). Not wanting to give up on the dries just yet tried a G&H Sedge I had thrown together, and had a few browns chasing it everywhere, but never took the fly.

Struggled up and down the stretch of river for a while, changing flies to all manner of nymphs but still no takes. Churchill had landed a 4lb brown in this time which was a cracking fish.

Had a quick beer and pork pie to refuel our efforts and I plodded on upstream with a small PTN on....

Not seeing many fish moving, it was time for my fish radar to be activated.....often faulty and temperamental....I cast at a gravel bed between some reeds. A flash of silver leapt out the depths and just missed my fly, so it was straight back out over that bed for another try......the fish absolutely hammered the fly and gave a great account of itself.

Churchill in the mean time had caught quite possibly the smallest fish in the world on a fly....sorry no pic!

The wind in the afternoon got ridiculous so late afternoon it was time to call it a day. Popped to Stockbridge for a look in the fishing shops and saw more trout happy in the knowledge no one will catch them!
Grey Hackle
7,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Mike

Laughing
Roobarb
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Wandering Chav Reply with quote

mikeh wrote:
Was bought this days fishing by my girlfriend for reaching the grand old age of 30!

Marry her!

The water looks in good nick, clear and plenty of weed. Pity about the gales.

Andy
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Nice report Chav and pics that looks a cracking bit of water
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed reading that.
Very Happy

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the week began in Uganda......not for fishing mind you, was for work.....

Nothing fishy to report from Uganda however I did see a cat get run over and flung out from the wheel arch of a truck.... Shock There was a big puddle called Lake Victoria near the airport though Wink

Returned to the UK on Thursday, after an arduous flight home, still was nice to be back!

The week ended however in a very pleasant manner. I had won a fishing auction in January to fish with Montana Joe, and it was time to finally join him on the river bank.

Early start but easy trip to Derbyshire and was on the bank by 1030 walking down the 2 milke stretch of the Dove in Dovedale. What a lovely spot!! Dry flies were the order of the day and there was plenty of early movement as we walked down the bank.

Had nothing from the first pool, however soon had a small fish of 6-7 inches on, hook came out in my hand however so no picture of this little beauty. MJ soon showed me how it was done by having another fisher of similar size to mine. I missed a few takes from fish at regular intervals, including one moment where striking I ended up with all my line in a tree Laughing Laughing

We then happened upon a small rise, with a few fish feeding like crazy.....one was a good 1lb.....and here began the battle.........

The fish was feeding like mad, however no matter what fly was passed over the top it either missed the fly, ignored it or made me miss striking ( Wink ), eventually I flung what could only be described as a birds nest of line onto the water and spooked the damn fish away....ah well, another one down to experience!

That was about it for the day at the river....we did see a fellow fisherman a bit further up....

We decided to try a small still water to end the day, however there was nothing moving here all day! Shame but there we go.

Big thanks to MJ for the day out, really great stretch of river and a very pleasant day!
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photographs look beautiful. Must have been nice to spend the day on such a river, regardless of the total catch. I enjoyed reading that.
Very Happy

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
AlexH
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi you chavvy little trud.

Lovely report, thanks. looking forward to one when you actually catch a fish!

Wink Wink Wink
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the nights are closing in and I thought I would give Draycote a go in the evening before everything shuts up shop for the winter.

Had been a slow but steady day according to the shop, so I started in a popular spot....rainbow corner. Signs were good as plenty of boats and 2 bank fishermen were there, however I went through nearly my entire fly box in the search of a fish. Apparently they had gone off the feed as I got there......marvellous....

Moved onto the north shore to see if I could find any more action. I could see fish rising all aroun so changed tactic with a dry fly on the surface and 2 buzzers below........Managed one huge pull which snapped my leader Sad and then nothing.

Was a disappointing evening really, fish there to be caught and nothing happening for me. I have not really mastered the reservoir fishing yet, and Draycote has been tough every visit....I'll get it right one day.
Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeh wrote:
Well the nights are closing in and I thought I would give Draycote a go in the evening before everything shuts up shop for the winter.

Had been a slow but steady day according to the shop, so I started in a popular spot....rainbow corner. Signs were good as plenty of boats and 2 bank fishermen were there, however I went through nearly my entire fly box in the search of a fish. Apparently they had gone off the feed as I got there......marvellous....

Moved onto the north shore to see if I could find any more action. I could see fish rising all aroun so changed tactic with a dry fly on the surface and 2 buzzers below........Managed one huge pull which snapped my leader Sad and then nothing.

Was a disappointing evening really, fish there to be caught and nothing happening for me. I have not really mastered the reservoir fishing yet, and Draycote has been tough every visit....I'll get it right one day.

Have you thought about taking up golf? Wink
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Lechlade Reply with quote

Managed to avoid the hurricane like conditions on Saturday this week, and went fishing on the Sunday instead. This was definitely a fine choice as the weather was bright and clear. Put me in a good mood for the shortish trip to Lechlade, to take on the monsters of the big fish water. This was the first trip of the winter months!

Lechlade as some will know is a fickle mistress, some days it is like shooting fish in a barrel and others you can wish you had never taken up the silly sport. Anyway I am pleased to report that the situation was somewhere in the middle.

Started the day up by the house and the boat launch, could see plenty of movement, but nothing was taking, so moved past the bridge of doom and onto the first pontoon. Having seen lots of fish in the margins I was casting up and down the bank, and it was not long before this one came out, a nice 7lb 10oz rainbow. This one was on a leech type pattern that I adapted.

Having got this one, I went for a stalk around the lake and the sheer number of fish under trees was amazing. I managed to get a cast at a few but nothing was in the mood for taking. Worked my way back round to the top of the lake and tried the casting along the margains trick again, and second cast was greeted with a 5lber. Not big for Lechlade but gave a great account before coming in. This one was on a loynton guinea, those who have fished there will know what these flies are like, however they are very quickly becoming a favourite fly at Lechlade as the past 2 trips have surrendered fish to these.

I had only got a 2 fish ticket as Lechlade as I wanted to get back to see the bog trotters take on the convicts, so that was me done for the day. Top days fishing with the usual challenges but plenty of rewards. Most fishermen had one fish before I left, aside from the few who were rooted to their favourite spot and not moving to where the fish were. WHY do people do this??

Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lechlade Reply with quote

mikeh wrote:

I had only got a 2 fish ticket as Lechlade as I wanted to get back to see the bog trotters take on the convicts, so that was me done for the day. Top days fishing with the usual challenges but plenty of rewards. Most fishermen had one fish before I left, aside from the few who were rooted to their favourite spot and not moving to where the fish were. WHY do people do this??

Well done. I suppose people get rooted to the spot when they see a shoal of fish and work on the law of averages that eventually one will succumb to their efforts. I've done it myself at times and it does work and sometimes it doesn't as you well know Wink If they can't see any fish then perhaps they just like the serenity of the place without all the hassle of pulling a fish in. Laughing
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lechlade Reply with quote

Churchill wrote:
mikeh wrote:

Well done. I suppose people get rooted to the spot when they see a shoal of fish and work on the law of averages that eventually one will succumb to their efforts. I've done it myself at times and it does work and sometimes it doesn't as you well know Wink If they can't see any fish then perhaps they just like the serenity of the place without all the hassle of pulling a fish in. Laughing

These people were rooted to the usual spots on the 2 peninsulas, there were no fish moving by them so I have no idea why they stayed. The lake was alive in other areas and there was plenty of space to fish.
Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Lechlade Reply with quote

mikeh wrote:
Churchill wrote:
mikeh wrote:

These people were rooted to the usual spots on the 2 peninsulas, there were no fish moving by them so I have no idea why they stayed. The lake was alive in other areas and there was plenty of space to fish.

I guess they're not as blood thirsty as you Laughing
mikeh
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Lechlade Reply with quote

Churchill wrote:
mikeh wrote:
Churchill wrote:
mikeh wrote:

I guess they're not as blood thirsty as you Laughing

To right!

I will be setting my Crayfish trap this week to see if I can catch a few for xmas! Either that or mate and I are going to sit about eating them quaffing some fine white wine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: