Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Thailand Reply with quote

Thanks to Jean-Francois at Fishing Adventures Thailand for providing these reports to us

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs

Last edited by Chris on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the several hundreds of various fish catches that our clients have caught since my latest newsletter, these below pics are the ones I selected for the pleasure of your eyes, and too keep you excited about our beloved common passion: sport fishing!

Freshwater:

Mekong giant catfish:

As usual, we caught lots & lots of them of them Pla Buk in the common 15kg to 25 kg mark. We had as well a good number of bigger cats above 30 kg landed, and plenty lost as well. Most escaping by entangling the angler's line around structures.

Two visiting anglers in particular seemed to have Lady Luck pleased to be by their side. These two - Henk Hoornweg from Holland, and Sean Fay from the UK, both several times return clients - landed a string of 4 big size cats each, all being over the 30 kg and the 40 kg mark.

Dutch Henk Hoornweg had a a 37 kg, two 40 kg, and a 46 kg for his biggest.

Brit Sean had two 32 kg, a 35 kg, and a 44 kg for his biggest.
Their respective partners had a nice catch each as well. Dutch Job Meurs caught a 41 kg. UK Geoff Adams caught a 38 kg

Sean & his partner Geoff are currently traveling upcountry. They will be back on Nov. 20 for 5 more sessions. I am confident we shall come up with a few more big cat catches, and eventually one or two giant carp as a nice bonus.

Siamese giant carp:

Though the giant carp is such a cautious and elusive species, we had a good amount of bites. We had around 12 takes which is a very good average of bites for the Catlo carpio, but sadly most fish were not landed. Most were lost - I could say again "as usual" - because our clients kind of "screwed up", giving these carp the opportunity to get away. Same story over and over, they don't keep cool, get too excited, don't listen at all what we are telling them to do. At the end of the day, these clients either lost them because they did not set the hook properly well, or either played these carp "european style" which does not work at all here in Thailand, letting them heading where they wanted. Fights ended by the line being entangled around structures, and broken next. Too bad because some of them carp were without a doubt over the 40 kg mark. We had to be happy with only three carp landed: a juvenile caught by UK Richard Harris, and two young ones: a 23lb caught by UK Richard Fawcett, and a 27lb caught by UK Geoff Adams.

Chao Phraya catfish or Giant Pangasius:

For predator fishing, we had some nice Chao Phraya catfish catches. The biggest of all being a lovely 15 kg landed by German angler Guenther Zeidler, and a 17 kg landed by Dutch Job Meurs.

Barramundi:

We had excellent fishing for Barra, either lure or fly fishing, except for 2 slow days. Best Barra catch is a 11kg caught on lure by my buddy Captain Scott Nelson from Florida. Another US angler, my amigo Bo Nelson (an IGFA Rep. for California) set two new IGFA world records for the freshwater fly rod category. For the 2lb tippet, he set on Oct. 22 a new record with a 4.54 kg Barra catch. For the 4lb tippet, he set on Oct. 24 a new record with a 8.63 kg catch.

Best Catch Of All:

On a personal point of view, the very best client's catch of these last 4 weeks is without a doubt the exceptional 5 kilos Giant Goramy, landed on Nov. 14 by UK angler Sean Fay. It is up to today the biggest giant goramy ever landed by one of our clients. The biggest goramy we have ever caught is in fact a 5.60 kg which was hooked up by Fishing Adventures Thailand pro guide "Nat". That impressive catch is still today holding the IGFA All Tackle world record for that species. But Nat being part of our crew, his catch does not apply in my client's catches records. Sean Fay's 5 kilos goramy catch is an exceptional catch at that particular weight which according to my personal standards deserves to be ranked # 1 for these last 4 weeks. UK Richard Fawcett caught another nice goramy as well, weighing 3.5 kg.

Jungle fishing:

We have experienced this year the worse floods in 20 years. The water level is so damned high everywhere upcountry that I had no option but stopping guiding for snakehead species & jungle perch until next January. But I am gonna soon take a couple of buddies to one of my "secret destinations" which offers for years first class fishing in December and January. These waters are an exception to the rule. They offer the best fishing only during these two months. We should score some big size giant snakeheads next month. I'll keep you posted then!

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Kiwi Fishing Bangkok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Fishing Thailand, Fishing Bangkok Reply with quote

I am shocked at the statement in this thread

I am going to put up a few things here that will cause a stir in the waters for sure, as I dont like to see things printed that make a joke out of our Thaialnd Fishing, I am sick and tiered of seeing what I think is a load of @@###$$, so here are a few things for people to think about.
I will proberly get another one of those emails that threaten my life and my stay in Thailand for posting on this forum but I have a rule in life when it comes to fishing and it is simple.

tell the truth
"We had around 12 takes which is a very good average of bites for the Catlo carpio, but sadly most fish were not landed. Most were lost - I could say again "as usual" - because our clients kind of "screwed up", giving these carp the opportunity to get away. Same story over and over, they don't keep cool, get too excited, don't listen at all what we are telling them to do. At the end of the day, these clients either lost them because they did not set the hook properly well, or either played these carp "european style" which does not work at all here in Thailand, letting them heading where they wanted.

the clients "screwed up"

I have a fishing company in Bangkok and fish the same waters as this man. but looks like we hve a difference in thinking here!!!

I client never "screws up" the "GUIDE SCREWS UP" !!!

as a guide you ........ Guide the clients
that means that if the client has not followed your instruction then you have not made it clear enough!

being a professional guide is a hard thing, you have to be able to put forward in words the style needed, if the cleint does not follow those instruction then that means that the guide has screwed up in giving then!!!

you are paying a Guide to guide you, that means that they have to take the blame for you loosing the fish, because they have not guided you properly!!!

I good never blame a client for loosing a fish, it is always one of two things
1 bad luck
2 I failed at making the client understand the style

the other thing that shocks me in this thread is the statement "We had around 12 takes which is a very good average of bites for the Catlo carpio" the Giant Saimese Carp is a very hard fish to get to take your bait, and to say that you have had 12 takes when you havent seen the fish is a load of "marketing Rubbish"
any man that says he can make that call is talking rubbish, even the so called largest carp ever landed on rod claimed to be 120kg (rubbish it was 82 kg and not by far the largest) was thought to be a mekong at first and that was one of the best Thai Guides on the rod!!!!

there are some indercators that it may be a carp, but there is nothing that will say for sure short of you seeing the fish!

ok how can I make this claim? easy I have fished these waters as a Pro Guide for three years now, I have Guided my clients to land some great carp, I have even done this on American TV!! I know of no other Giant Carp that has been landed and shown on TV ( I could be wrong on that ) now here is the one that makes this sound like a load of ##### to me, in this swim you have 2 other species that will hit carp baits, the stripped catfish and the Giang Mekong, these two are the ones that are hard to set the hook into as they have a very boney structor in the lips, the carp has a very soft mouth and is easy to set the hook!!!

here is another one that I have my doubts on!!!

"For the 2lb tippet, he set on Oct. 22 a new record with a 4.54 kg Barra catch"
if any of you fly fish and have tried the barra then you will understand my doubt, for those that havent then here are some thoughts for you.
the barra hit HARD, the barra jump!
ok a 4.54kg barra is a strong fish that will put major shock loading on the line, as a rule enough to break a 2 lbs tippet just on the strike alone, now the pictures on this thread did not show for some reason, but I have seen pics of this before and the ones I noticed the man is holding a rod with a fighting grip, fly rods with this are for HEAVY fish, that means that they are a very solid rod with a heavy action.
with a 2 lbs tippet you need to have a very light rod so that the shock loading on the line can be absorbed by the rod!

well I hope that this has been some food for thought

Kiwi
Kiwi Fishing Bangkok
Kiwi Fishing Bangkok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a video that I made before I went into business here in Thailand,
hope you enjoy

P.s. its about catfishing and not the carp

Link
Kiwi Fishing Bangkok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Giant mekong Thailand Reply with quote

here at Kiwi Fishing Bangkok we are a fishing Family, this is a video of my wife on the Mekong Catfish, this was done about a year and a half ago since then she has now become Thailand's only Female Pro Guide, if you take a look on our web site you can see here fishing with Victoria Sweet from Catfishing America, She Guided Victoria on a very nice Giant Siamese Carp.

Hope you enjoy this Video of her smashing a rod, we all love the look on her face!

Link

I will post some video of her Guiding Victoria soon
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Forum -> Catch Reports -> Thailand All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: