Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum
Fly Fishing Forum and Fly Tying Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Portabote 12ft.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Portabote 12ft. Reply with quote

Being in the market for my own boat, I have been doing some research, and came up with the "Portabote" as a possibility to consider.

Now the idea of a twelve foot boat that folds up intrigued me - sufficiently to contact Mr Portabote UK, Roger Jackson (very helpfull fellow Wink ) to arrange a "hands on" demonstration. So early in the moring - yesterday Fri 20th June I travelled the 364 miles to Lowestoft. (Yes - I know I'm Mad Laughing )

After a friendly introduction and having been shown the various models, Roger asked me about its intended use. "Single handed easy launch and recovery - for fly fishing - with an occasional use with a friend - Pike and trout in inland waters - Possible inshore coastal work." Was my reply. "No problem," says he "All these boats will do all of that."

Off in his van, with what looked like a twelve foot, four inch thick surfboard strapped to the roof and a canvas type bag inside. Quick stop for fuel and a brand new 3.5 HP Mercury engine, then it was away to the river Waveney at Beccles for the demo.

On arrival, the surfboard was lifted down, and with a couple of quick movements became the hull Shock Out of the bag came oars, seats and transom. Roger gave me a slow time building/construction demo. Popped in the 3 seats, secured the transom with 4 bolts and wingnuts and he was done. I'm sure if he had done it in normal time it would have taken less than 5 mins.

Engine went on, spare fuel just in case, my Fly Piking rod and boatbag. Then he shoved the whole lot over the concrete slipway into the river Shock He got aboard and invited me to "Jump in".
Now honestly - I didn't fancy it - I'm used to rigid boats, and this looked anything but rigid. As I got in the floor and sides moved Shock Very weird and I said so. "Everyone says that." Laughed Roger, fired up the engine and headed out of the dock area for the main river.

I won't go into all the details as my fingers will have fallen off by then. Suffice to say Roger stood up and jumped around in the boat - Yes it moved, but I had no thoughts of catastrophy. We chugged and roared around, the engine, small as it was, pushed us around at impressive speeds. Roger demo'ing that his boat could do everything and more that a rigid can. Spun it in its own length and rammed a solid wooden quay both at full throttle, then insisted that I did the same, on my own, and wanted me to throw it around to get a feel for its handling capabilities. These were not just impressive but astonishing - imagine a coracle, powered by an outboard. Surprised Very easy to steer when not playing silly b*gg*rs with the tiller. Wink Laughing
Did a spot of fishing for pike on the fly - standing up to cast Wink Torrential rain then occured, and neither of us being dressed for this unexpected, very heavy shower, it was back to the slipway, whereupon Roger, with the engine at full throttle, proceeded to ram the Portabote straight up the concrete. Shock "Tides in," He said "the engine wont ground" Shock Rolling Eyes I was thinking about the hull - and the shock to me when it hit. Needn't have worried - Took it in its stride. Boat dis-assebled in double quick time and back to the shop for a candid question and answer session.

Only one photo from me, due to the rain, of the almost refolded "surfboard" on the slipway

Brilliant day - Fantastic demo. I was very impressed with the PortaBote, its ease of transport and assembly. Its stability and handling - the fact that Roger seemed perfectly happy to "abuse it" with absolutely no damage to the hull, but mostly for its Fun. Cool Laughing Laughing Oh - and its "weirdness. Laughing

More Pics and details
http://www.intramore.co.uk/ - Rogers site
http://www.portaboteme.com/index.htm Manufacturers site

My sincere public thanks to Roger for a brilliant day out and a fantastic demo - All questions answered in full - nothing was too much trouble and I appriciated all your help and candour.

Tony Very Happy - Boat. Cool Wink

Will I buy one - Unsure, as I have other "toys" lined up to "play with" - But its a very strong contender for my money.
Andrew Moray
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely cracking story Tony, cheers for that Laughing

Landlubber Tony
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great story tony.i thought it was april 1st for a moment Shock Laughing im impressed mate.fair play to the demostraitor for "using and abusing".i bet he certainly gave you the confidence in to maybe buying one Smile .look forward to your next report.cheers.steve
barbus
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt john wilson use something like that in one of his programs Question
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this promotional video on Youtube. Wink

Might give a better idea how much fun I had on the day. Razz Laughing

Link

Enjoy Wink - I did Laughing Tony
starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is Tony,are you going to fork out the wedge for it?

Mark
KZ
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks grrrreat - but the best part of 3K to kit yourself out with the 14' and a motor, and not much else.

That or a second hand rigid Tony?
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the required roof rack at Halfords today. Wink

Arranging to pick up my new PortaBote 12 footer shortly (next Weds hopefully). Razz

If you see something strange on the top of a car on the M25 - It might be me. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Main reason for the decision is that I can take "The Cafe" (trailer tent) AND the boat. Wink The Broads, The Lake district, Lomond, even Loch Awe. Plenty of scope for a weeks fishing holiday. Razz

Anyone for fishing. Laughing Laughing

Tony. Wink Cool Very Happy Very Happy
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done mate Wink glad you got your boat sorted Very Happy .have fun.cheers.steve Smile
spider
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakefisher wrote:

Main reason for the decision is that I can take "The Cafe" (trailer tent) AND the boat. Wink The Broads, The Lake district, Lomond, even Loch Awe. Plenty of scope for a weeks fishing holiday. Razz

Anyone for fishing. Laughing Laughing

Tony. Wink Cool Very Happy Very Happy

Could be up for a weeks fishing on Loch Awe Very Happy

Spider Very Happy
Andrew Moray
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spider wrote:
Could be up for a weeks fishing on Loch Awe Very Happy

Ach, nuts !!, beat me to it ...
Bagsie 1st reserve for the Awe Odyssey Very Happy

Good luck with the boat Tony.

Boatless Tony
thewidowsson
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lakefisher, one of my friends bought this portabote, we packed it on top of car and set off for seven days trout fishing in caithness, boat was brilliant, no problems, takes two people to assemble, ten minutes and you are off. 3.5 engine ideal, not many fish caught, but boat a success. loch awe a bit dodgy, waves can be huge, remember safety jacket at all times. enjoy yourself.
thewidowsson. [ just arrived back home on saturday night 21st. ] Very Happy
lakefisher
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Widowsson,

Glad to hear you had no "boat" problems. Cool The PortaBote makes total sense to me, having given one a go. Wink

I'm familiar with the waves that can suddenly show up on Awe, having spent many days out on it in my old car topper, 10ft rigid with a 5.5 Yamaha as OB power. Wink Very brown pants occasionally Wink but thankfully - in hindsight - nothing that I or the boat couldn't cope with. Very Happy

Still, will pay dividends to be cautious.

Appreciate your comments. Wink

Cheers ....... Tony Very Happy
starsky
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting the new boat Tony.

The question is will Ifor allow it at Thornton Smile

Mark
Nympher
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need any kind of boat licence for it Tony?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       Complete Fisher Forum - Fly Fishing Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: